Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Evil Dead

Peter Straub

I miss Peter Straub. I have always thought that he was a better writer than Stephen King. Then he switched from writing supernatural horror to just serial killers and stuff.
I had to read Floating Dragon three times before I could figure it out (almost.)
Old 12-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Evil Dead

His books like KOKO are brilliant for me. I like serial killers, although I prefer serial killers with a supernatural angle. KOKO almost gave the killer a supernatural feel to him. A sense that he was the devil.

I once tweeted Straub asking if he knew about COCO the Spanish boogeyman.

He said no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_(folklore)

HOUSES WITHOUT DOORS is superb btw. The vignettes at the start and end of the book had an effect on me so wild. I cannot explain how they did that.

Last edited by fudgetusk; 12-14-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Deranged, Yet Friendly.

I've only read his novel, Ghost Story.
And it was a great novel. He really worked on a big canvas with that one, and I was impressed with the confidence of his prose and the unfolding of the story, as presented from multiple characters' viewpoints.

As a writer myself, his ability to amass a great amount of small town characters and interweave them into a coherent plot, is one which I desire to attain at some point in my career.

Oh, and there's a fantastic scene within the town cinema, where Night of the Living Dead is playing, and the main characters are fighting off a ghoul.