Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4011  
Old 06-03-2020, 03:24 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Yeah, cool stuff. When I saw it on TV, basically all the village people being killed was cut. So seeing that for the first time as an adult was bizarre.

You mentioned Kong's fight with a 'winged serpent'? Are you talking about his fight with the Pterodactyl (Pterodactylus) on the mountain cliff, just before they man and woman rope down off it? Or you talking about the snake with little flippers Kong fights inside the cave? Or something else?
I was lucky enough to see KONG in a theater in 1970 and just loved it...surprised I was not thrown out of the theater during Kong's throw down with the T Rex! There was a lot cut out for TV and looking at the time, it is pretty violent.

I think He's talking about the Pterodactyl.
Reply With Quote
  #4012  
Old 06-03-2020, 07:59 AM
classic_horror_fan classic_horror_fan is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Yeah, cool stuff. When I saw it on TV, basically all the village people being killed was cut. So seeing that for the first time as an adult was bizarre.

You mentioned Kong's fight with a 'winged serpent'? Are you talking about his fight with the Pterodactyl (Pterodactylus) on the mountain cliff, just before they man and woman rope down off it? Or you talking about the snake with little flippers Kong fights inside the cave? Or something else?
I was referring to the Pterodactyl. All of the fight scenes between Kong and other giant creatures on his island are very well done, more so with what they had to go with back then, though. Despite Kong: Skull Island being very amazing overall, the original from 1933 still remains to be my favorite of the King Kong movies. Its sequel, Son Of Kong, is also worth seeing if you haven't already.
Reply With Quote
  #4013  
Old 06-05-2020, 12:07 AM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_horror_fan View Post
I was referring to the Pterodactyl. All of the fight scenes between Kong and other giant creatures on his island are very well done, more so with what they had to go with back then, though. Despite Kong: Skull Island being very amazing overall, the original from 1933 still remains to be my favorite of the King Kong movies. Its sequel, Son Of Kong, is also worth seeing if you haven't already.
Yeah, Son of Kong was good too. King Kong 33 I think is probably the best. I've liked most all Kong films:
King Kong 33
Son of Kong
Godzilla Vs King Kong
King Kong Escapes
King Kong 76
king Kong 2002
Kong: Skull Island

King Kong Lives was horrible, but other than that, it's had a good run. Have you seen Kong 1976? What'd ya think? I was particularly impressed with the soundtrack.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #4014  
Old 06-05-2020, 07:04 AM
classic_horror_fan classic_horror_fan is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Yeah, Son of Kong was good too. King Kong 33 I think is probably the best. I've liked most all Kong films:
King Kong 33
Son of Kong
Godzilla Vs King Kong
King Kong Escapes
King Kong 76
king Kong 2002
Kong: Skull Island

King Kong Lives was horrible, but other than that, it's had a good run. Have you seen Kong 1976? What'd ya think? I was particularly impressed with the soundtrack.
I have seen King Kong 1976 many times, and even saw it again last year on AMC. I like that one a lot, too. I especially like the scene where he fought and killed the giant boa. I also like where he killed the two men who tried to blast him with their flame guns. That is a very worthy remake, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #4015  
Old 06-05-2020, 02:24 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_horror_fan View Post
I have seen King Kong 1976 many times, and even saw it again last year on AMC. I like that one a lot, too. I especially like the scene where he fought and killed the giant boa. I also like where he killed the two men who tried to blast him with their flame guns. That is a very worthy remake, in my opinion.
Very much a film of it's time (76), choppers and flamethrowers, concern for the Kong species. I thought Kong looked good, except the faces for romance or love.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #4016  
Old 06-09-2020, 04:16 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,791
BLOODLUST (1961). Another variation on "The Most Dangerous Game" has a lot of slow parts, but some surprisingly brutal scenes. June Kenney (ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, THE SPIDER) is an early example of Girl Power with her fighting prowess (unlike the other one who mentions "I'm scared" a few times) and probably the most frightening part of the whole film is an early performance by Robert Reed (the Dad on THE BRADY BUNCH) as one of the heroes walking as though he has a couple of pebbles in his shoe.
Loved TBB when younger and still enjoy it as a guilty pleasure, but was astounded as a Teen that Robert HATED the show ("It was a piece of shit") and in Barry William's (Greg on the show) entertaining book GROWING UP BRADY, Rob thought the show would only be on for a few weeks and He could move on. Lots of Head butting with producers over many episodes He found particularly odious, involving long detailed memos and just not showing up for the last episode "The Hair Brained Scheme" where Greg buy's Tonic from Bobby that turns his hair orange-and right before Graduation. **1/2
Reply With Quote
  #4017  
Old 06-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
BLOODLUST (1961). Another variation on "The Most Dangerous Game" has a lot of slow parts, but some surprisingly brutal scenes. June Kenney (ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, THE SPIDER) is an early example of Girl Power with her fighting prowess (unlike the other one who mentions "I'm scared" a few times) and probably the most frightening part of the whole film is an early performance by Robert Reed (the Dad on THE BRADY BUNCH) as one of the heroes walking as though he has a couple of pebbles in his shoe.
Loved TBB when younger and still enjoy it as a guilty pleasure, but was astounded as a Teen that Robert HATED the show ("It was a piece of shit") and in Barry William's (Greg on the show) entertaining book GROWING UP BRADY, Rob thought the show would only be on for a few weeks and He could move on. Lots of Head butting with producers over many episodes He found particularly odious, involving long detailed memos and just not showing up for the last episode "The Hair Brained Scheme" where Greg buy's Tonic from Bobby that turns his hair orange-and right before Graduation. **1/2
Robert Reed played a good dad on Brady Bunch. He must have been channeling his dad or something.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #4018  
Old 06-12-2020, 01:15 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Robert Reed played a good dad on Brady Bunch. He must have been channeling his dad or something.
Could be, Sculpt, for all his griping He did do all those later Brady specials and had heard He truly loved the Kids. He did seem to go on to play more edgy characters after TBB, especially in NIGHTMARE IN BADHAM COUNTY.


BELL BOOK AND CANDLE (1958). This and 1942's I MARRIED A WITCH were the main inspiration for the show BEWITCHED, and indeed, can see a lot of similarities. Lovely blond Witch (Kim Novak) makes regular Joe Jimmy Stuart fall in love with her via spell and then is worried if he loves her because of the spell or is it true. There are quite a few truly humorous scenes here, but I think some physical offbeat antics would have made it more enjoyable, although good acting by all, especially Elsa Lanchester, wonderful as the dotty Aunt (and practically a coming attraction for "Endora" in the TV show). ***
Reply With Quote
  #4019  
Old 06-19-2020, 12:46 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,791
THE DEADLY MANTIS (1957). Some decent special effects and for once radiation not responsible for the menace are all that save this deadly dull story, which is loaded with Stock Footage and needless narration. Only part I really like is when a train wreck is mentioned in Laurel, MD, my wife's hometown and where we lived before NH. *1/2
Reply With Quote
  #4020  
Old 06-19-2020, 08:19 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE DEADLY MANTIS (1957). Some decent special effects and for once radiation not responsible for the menace are all that save this deadly dull story, which is loaded with Stock Footage and needless narration. Only part I really like is when a train wreck is mentioned in Laurel, MD, my wife's hometown and where we lived before NH. *1/2
Wife's hometown... I'd watch your head if I were you...

It's funny how they use a gorilla roar for the giant Mantis. LOL! seems legit.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:41 AM.