Old 08-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Evil Dead

The Black Cat (1934)

two of the things I like about The Black Cat (1934) are the outrageous set design and the fact that Lugosi gets to play the good guy for a change.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:18 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
two of the things I like about The Black Cat (1934) are the outrageous set design and the fact that Lugosi gets to play the good guy for a change.
Yes, Horror.com member Neverending turn me on to The Black Cat (1934). Such a hip film. I find it beatnik. And yes, the "modern" set design is very cool. Sort of reminiscent of the set design in A Clockwork Orange, mostly in the sense it was just new set art design, but it also has a subtle effect on how one feels the film.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Evil Dead

more Black Cat

line from the movie, quoted in Famous Monsters of Filmland, so I was looking for it when I watched the movie:
"Vitus, you are mad!"
Old 08-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Evil Dead

two Ravens

You guys probably wouldn't confuse these two movies, but there was the thirties movie The Raven and the 1960s spoof The Raven, both starring Karloff. The 1970s one also had Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, and Hazel Court, who was born to wear low cut dresses.

Trivia: I think I read in FM that some of the best lines in the movie were ad libs by Lorre. Like the scene where they are down in the crypt, and Lorre rubs the dusty old stone wall and says "Hard place to keep clean, huh?"

FM also reported that Karloff begged the director to get rid of the great big scarlet cloak he wears in the movie, because it was so heavy.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Evil Dead

quotation from Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man

Lawrence Talbot: Don't you understand? When the moon rises, I turn into a wolf!
Costello: You and 50,000 other guys.

I also liked Lugosi's line: "Ah, you young people, making the most of life...while it lasts!"
Old 08-11-2018, 02:18 AM
Evil Dead

HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939). Despite a heavy preachiness throughout, this is very well made with Charles Laughton superb as the pathetically hideous Bell ringer. His final line and the look of sheer disappointment when his guardian passes him by on the pillory are unforgettable. Stupendous sets, many extras and also quick bits with Rondo Hatton and George Zucco.
One of Maureen O'Hara's first films -she is lovely- and Sir Cedric Hardwicke is frightening as the lecherous priest...more frightening is wondering how many women were falsely accused and met a terrible end throughout history. ****
Old 08-14-2018, 09:32 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939). Despite a heavy preachiness throughout, this is very well made with Charles Laughton superb as the pathetically hideous Bell ringer. His final line and the look of sheer disappointment when his guardian passes him by on the pillory are unforgettable. Stupendous sets, many extras and also quick bits with Rondo Hatton and George Zucco.
One of Maureen O'Hara's first films -she is lovely- and Sir Cedric Hardwicke is frightening as the lecherous priest...more frightening is wondering how many women were falsely accused and met a terrible end throughout history. ****
was this the version where Quasimodo dumps gaint pots of boiling oil on those trying to siege the cathedral?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Evil Dead

SPOILER

I hate in in movies where in end the vampires turn out to be not real vampires, like in Fangs of the living dead and Mark of the Vampire.
But you should still watch mark of the vampire for the terrific cinematography and for Lionel Barrymore's performance.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:03 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
I hate in in movies where in end the vampires turn out to be not real vampires, like in Fangs of the living dead and Mark of the Vampire.
But you should still watch mark of the vampire for the terrific cinematography and for Lionel Barrymore's performance.
I think the story of London After Midnight/Mark of the Vampire sounds pretty cool. But Mark had such poor reviews I don't know if I'll ever see it.

Did you ever see George Romero's vampire film "Martin"?

Last edited by Sculpt; 08-17-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Evil Dead

I did see Martin

I did see Martin, at some college film society.

The movie was definitely well made, but the concept is sick.