Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Fiction Posts
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
It's a shame I had to leave but somebody must, and looking at the other answers, I would have chosen myself to go as well. Thank you all for the commiserations, and thank you V for making such an entertaining and challenging thread.

Good luck to all contestants!

The Ferrets like it...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:30 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Wow! I'm truly glad to see myself in the final 4! Specially, after the elimination of such great contestants like FC, Rayne, Alky and Noir, I have still managed to hang in there with the three most talented participants of HDC Idol!
Anyways, I think only Chrono have been able to always maintain an above average performance from the very beginning of this competition and thereby, to me she deserves the crown mostly. BUT, the way Flayed one and Bwind fights back so we can only predict that the final will be very close & competitive and actually none can tell what happens next!

So, best of luck my dear 'enemies';) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwind22 View Post
Luckily for me, my master plan is working perfectly.... I set the expectations nice and low with my feeble first answer and have been steadily improving ever since. Now it's time to start trying. ;)
oh...that's a good joke!:D
Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 AM
HDC Idol

CONGRATULATIONS, FLAYED!!!

Also to Bwind and Roshiq - All THREE of you have been strong, intelligent competitors from the outset. But now it's ON.

And sorry to see you go FC and Rayne. You both put in one HELL of a showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Anyways, I think only Chrono have been able to always maintain an above average performance from the very beginning of this competition and thereby, to me she deserves the crown mostly.
Why THANK you, Roshiq. :D

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Thanks for the contributions, ferretchucker. Yours will be missed. The rest of you should be proud of being such strong competition and setting such high standards. That said, those standards are not something to replicate but to overreach. You can be better. Show me how.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM
For Vendetta

ELIMINATION ROUND #4

I welcome all Finalists to the fourth and FINAL Elimination Round of HDC Idol. As before, this round will result in the elimination of ONE of you and we find our Final 3, who will advance on to the Grand Finale stage of HDC Idol.

Your fourth Challenge is the toughest yet. It is a common one for all four of you, and it can be a real test of your intellect, wit and knowledge of the genre.

Cast an A-list superstar in a horror movie of your choice.

You can choose one from :- Adam Sandler, Christian Bale, George Clooney, Brad Pitt & Leonardo DiCaprio.

Points to Note :-

- You have to research into the actor's past characters and come up with something which suits their on-screen persona.

- You have to elaborate your script and how the superstar fits in it. Existing movies are accepted, as long as you make them your versions of remakes with the superstar in it.

- You have to be convincing, not only to the Judges, but to the superstars themselves. Remember you still need them to jump on-board your movie.

- If you are thinking of a remake, elaborate a bit about the original, and your possible tweaks for the remake version.

Grades will be given out, and the worst Grader will be out of HDC Idol.

Also, if you do not answer your challenge within the stipulated time, you are automatically eliminated from HDC Idol.

Again, we may have more than one Finalist eliminated in Elimination Round #4 itself. Of course, the fittest will survive and continue on.

You have 72 Hours to do your research and post your entries (either on here or in a PM to me).

Best of Luck!!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Just to make sure I'm clear on this, it does not HAVE to be a remake, right? It could be an adaptation of a book that hasn't been filmed yet or a completely original idea that we just make up?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:00 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwind22 View Post
Just to make sure I'm clear on this, it does not HAVE to be a remake, right? It could be an adaptation of a book that hasn't been filmed yet or a completely original idea that we just make up?
Yes.

If you choose an original movie, say Dawn of the Dead, and Brad Pitt for Ken Foree's character, you have to elaborate it as your version of a remake, and Brad's role and its depth in the flick.

All are acceptable. Original ideas, novel adaptations, short story adaptations, previous movie adaptations...anything goes. However, your choice SHOULD match the on-screen persona of the superstar in question.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 PM

Well, after my previous rant against remakes, it’d be truly uninspired if I were to select one here since we’ve been given the option to choose something fresh. That being said, I’ve opted to go with a Brian Wind original storyline for this challenge. It’s a horror comedy starring Adam Sandler. Surprised at my A-list selection? Me too. In fact, when I first read the challenge, I couldn’t fathom Sandler in a horror film, but as the story came to me, I couldn’t picture the starring role going to anybody but him. So without any further ado, on with the challenge…

Quote:
- You have to research into the actor's past characters and come up with something which suits their on-screen persona.
Shakes the Clown –plays a beer drinking clown that helps his friend, Shakes, clear his name after he’s framed for a crime he didn’t commit.
Airheads –plays the lovable, but dense, drummer for a rock band that hijacks a radio station to get airplay.
Billy Madison –plays the grown up son of a rich businessman who goes back to school in order to prove his worth to his father.
Happy Gilmore –plays a foul mouthed hockey player who takes to the golf course after realizing his monstrous drive may be the only chance he has to save his grandmother’s house.
Bulletproof – plays a small time criminal being brought to justice by his former best friend, an undercover detective, but he manages to help bring down a major crime boss along the way.
The Wedding Singer – plays a down and out wedding crooner that must figure out a way to persuade the girls of his dreams to ditch her asshole fiancé in favor of him.
The Waterboy – plays a waterboy for a college football team that gets promoted to a player when the coach realizes he has a knack for tackling.
Big Daddy – plays a slacker that takes in a kid in order to win back his ex-girlfriend.
Little Nicky – plays the son of Satan, sent to Earth to save his father and stop his two brothers from creating Hell on Earth.
Punch Drunk Love – plays a guy with some severe issues that attempts to work through them when a mysterious woman enters his life.
Mr. Deeds - plays a small town guy that suddenly comes in to a large sum of money and moves to the big city where anyone and everyone is quick to try taking advantage of him.
Anger Management – plays a mild mannered guy who, after a misunderstanding on an airplane, is sentenced to anger management counseling with a borderline psychotic doctor.
50 First Dates – plays a timid guy that meets the girl of his dreams only to realize she suffers from a memory disorder and if he wants to keep her, he’ll have to win over from scratch every single day.
Spanglish – plays an eccentric chef who’s world begins to crumble around him, but finds strength in his family and his Mexican housekeeper and her daughter.
The Longest Yard – plays an ex football player that lands himself in prison and is tasked with the duty of assembling a team of inmates to take on the guards.
Click – plays a workaholic that ends up with a remote control that affects his daily life and in the process learns what he’s been missing out on while he’s always working.
Reign Over Me – plays an unemployed guy suffering from depression after the loss of his family on 9/11 that meets up with an old college buddy and discovers they may be able to help each other overcome their problems.
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry – plays a straight firefighter pretending to be gay in order to help out his friend and his friend’s children.
You Don’t Mess with the Zohan – plays an Israeli spy that gives up his life of espionage to become a hairstylist in America.
Bedtime Stories – plays a guy that sees all his dreams shattered only to discover they may still be possible when the bedtime stories he tells his sister’s kids start coming true.

Adam Sandler generally plays the role of a naive, but likable and charming everyman that has trouble attaining what he strives for. Some of his characters have tempers that flare, others get stepped on by those around them but they are usually all trying to do the right thing in the end.

In short, he usually plays someone that most of us can identify with.

With few exceptions (Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me), Adam Sandler is a comedy actor. His range within the comedy genre varies from romantic comedies (Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates) to action comedies (Bulletproof) to dark comedies (Shakes the Clown, Little Nicky) to sports comedies (Happy Gilmore, Waterboy, Longest Yard) to teen comedies (Billy Madison, Airheads, Chuck & Larry, Zohan) to adult comedies (Click, Spanglish, Anger Management). Most recently, he’s even cleaned up the pottymouth and made for the kids (Bedtime Stories). The only hole on his comedy resume is horror comedy, which I’m sure he’d be eager to fill if the right script came along. (An argument could be made that Little Nicky is a horror comedy, but I would disagree and so would imdb.com. Little Nicky is a goofball comedy that happens to take place in Hell. While the overall theme may be somewhat dark, the tone of the film is very lighthearted and playful.)

The films he makes are generally formulaic, lighthearted fun so that was what I went for with...
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
- You have to elaborate your script and how the superstar fits in it.
NED SUCKS!

Ned Tepes is the night security guard at a suburban Red Cross and also happens to be an ancient vampire, the youngest brother of Vlad the Impaler aka Count Dracula. He’s not your typical vampire though. He wants nothing more than to live a normal life, free of conflict. He’s the reserved, nerdy type who gets walked all over by his intimidating, overbearing boss, Lee Stat on a daily basis. Ned’s life consists of working all night, then heading home to eat raw meat and hang out with his black cat, Fang, before trying to sleep all day; a task easier said than done thanks to his obnoxiously loud neighbor, Bucky. Ned’s got his eyes on a pretty female co-worker, Elle Vira, but has never mustered up the courage to ask her out, in fact, the only interaction the two of them ever have is saying hello and goodbye as he’s on his way out and she’s arriving each morning.

One night, on Ned’s watch, over 100 gallons of blood is stolen from the Red Cross. The Bizarre Crimes Unit (BCU) is called in. The overly gung ho lead investigator, Kevin Van Helsing, interviews everyone and quickly narrows it down to 1 prime suspect, Ned. Van Helsing begins surveillance on Ned and quickly realizes Ned’s true origins as a vampire, but drastically overestimates his intentions and demeanor.

Throughout the story, Van Helsing tries unsuccessfully to kill Ned several times but various circumstances including Bucky keeping Ned awake during the daytime and an attack by Fang, prevent that from happening. Each time Ned unwittingly foils the plot, Van Helsing’s determination grows stronger as he convinces himself that he’s up against a near omnipotent being.

Eventually, Van Helsing goes on the offensive while Ned’s at work; he shows up at the Red Cross, calls him out as a vampire and accuses him of stealing the blood. Ned admits to being a vampire but denies stealing the blood. Van Helsing doesn’t believe him until Ned produces a receipt from the grocery store for over 200 pounds of raw meat. Ned explains that he needs blood to sustain himself, but has never even tasted human blood. Van Helsing is baffled by this and wonders aloud why anyone else would steal so much blood. Ned makes the observation that the only other person with access to the blood vault is his boss, Mr. Stat.

Just then, Mr. Stat arrives for work and Van Helsing turns his attention towards him, grilling him about the burglary and accusing him of being a vampire as well. Enraged, Mr. Stat comes clean and admits to the crime claiming that he’s been sustaining himself on donated blood for well over 125 years in order to successfully keep a low profile and avoid detection from vampire slayers. He informs them both that it’s unfortunate he’ll have to kill them now.

Van Helsing springs in to action and a battle between the two takes place, with Ned standing idly by doing nothing. After a quick battle, Mr. Stat gets the upper hand and is preparing to deliver the fatal blow. Van Helsing pleads with Ned for help, but Ned is frozen in fear, terrified of his boss. At that moment, Elle Vira arrives for work and sees what’s going on. She screams, distracting Mr. Stat enough that Van Helsing is able to roll out of the way. Mr. Stat backhands Elle across the room and says he doesn’t want to kill his entire staff, but at this rate that’s what’s going to have to happen. Seeing the object of his affection sent sprawling awakens something in Ned. A rage builds in his eyes as his true vampiric personality takes shape. As Mr. Stat returns his attention to Van Helsing, Ned attacks, much to Mr. Stat’s double surprise. (He didn’t expect Ned to have the balls to attack him and he wasn’t aware that Ned was also a vampire.)

The two vampires go head to head, demolishing the office in a climactic yet comedic battle, bludgeoning each other with everything from the copy machine to light fixtures to telephones to spare syringes. Being the more brutal of the two and in tune with his vampiric nature, Mr. Stat eventually gains the upper hand and just as it looks like he’s about to kill Ned, Van Helsing plunges a wooden stake through his heart from behind and he falls dead. Ned shoves the body off of himself to find Van Helsing standing over him extending a hand to help him up. Ned accepts, Van Helsing pulls him to his feet and two shake hands.

Ned expresses disappointment to Van Helsing that he probably just ruined any chance he ever had with Elle because she’d never want to date a vampire, but Van Helsing tells him not to be so sure of that. He nods towards Elle who is just now regaining consciousness. Ned and Van Helsing go check on her to make sure she’s okay. She asks what happened. There’s a brief silence as neither is sure what answer to give, but then Van Helsing tells her that her boss was a vampire and Ned saved the day. Ned blushes and then asks if she’d like to go grab a cup of coffee since the office is probably going to be closed today. She says yes.

The End.

Cast-
Ned Tepes – Adam Sandler
Kevin Van Helsing – Peter Dante
Elle Vira – Drew Barrymore
Mr. Stat – Kevin Nealon
Bucky – Allen Covert

Of course, some minor supporting role would need to be created for Rob Schneider as well.

Quote:
- You have to be convincing, not only to the Judges, but to the superstars themselves. Remember you still need them to jump on-board your movie.
I think a story like this would definitely be the type of script Adam Sandler would be interested in. Like I mentioned before, it’d fill the solitary gap in his comedy genre resume. I also feel like the character of Ned is right in line with the types of character he plays so well; the quiet, charming everyman that isn’t living up to his true potential. But if the script and character aren’t enough to get him on board, there are other a couple other ways to lure him in as well. One is to fill the rest of the cast with people he likes working with and already has a great on-screen rapport with. Two is to allow him and Tim Herlihy to have plenty of say in the writing process. Three is to promise him plenty of marijuana on the set for the duration of filming.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Cranky

Well, let me start by saying I LOATHE Adam Sandler. CAN'T STAND HIM.

That being said, you seem to have come up with a vehicle that suits his "talents." It's an adequate low-brow plot that would probably satify his fans.

There's a huge plot hole mid-way. The boss has been sustaining himself for 125 years without getting caught and all of the sudden he steals 200 gallons of blood. Doesn't make sense. And yes, even low-brow formulaic comedies need to have internal logic.

You fulfilled all the requirements of the assignment. Competant job. It will get good marks from me.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff