Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Fiction Posts
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Undead

Adventure, Romance, Terror

For those who like adventure with their horror, I offer the untold story of Dracula's journey across the waters from Transylvania to London. My new kindle novel; Dracula's Demeter.

http://www.amazon.com/Draculas-Demet...1286647&sr=1-1

Any Dracula fans?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Undead

I'm pimping my writing, obviously...

But I'm also trying to start a discussion. Any Dracula fans dropping by? Or has the king of the vampires lost his appeal?

Lugosi, Lee, Langella, Schreck, Jourdan, any favorites? Do horror stories about undead creatures thrill in this age, or must vampires be romantic, sparkle and titillate teenage girls to be popular? Any opinions?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM
From The Beyond

Best of luck with your story. Yes there are plenty of dracula fans here. In fact Christopher Lee's Dracula won the monsters of horror tournament. Despite me voting for him I still would say Schreck was my fave just because of his look, presence and believability. He oozed menace without saying a single word. He was so undead in his manner that much as I love Lee, Lugosi, Langella and some others he will always be my personal fave just for being so unnaturally natural if you know what I mean,
Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
... Schreck... oozed menace without saying a single word. He was so undead in his manner that much as I love Lee, Lugosi, Langella and some others he will always be my personal fave just for being so unnaturally natural if you know what I mean,
I do, and I love that 'he was so undead'. Maybe that's where they got the idea for Shadow of the Vampire.
For the same reason I'm not a fan of all the vampire romance now. Uh, he's dead and he drinks blood.
I loved Coppola's Dracula for its own merits as a piece of film; hated it for a retelling of Dracula. IMHO, Dracula is NOT a love story. It is a story of lust, and the dark consequences.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:10 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoreux View Post
I do, and I love that 'he was so undead'. Maybe that's where they got the idea for Shadow of the Vampire.
For the same reason I'm not a fan of all the vampire romance now. Uh, he's dead and he drinks blood.
I loved Coppola's Dracula for its own merits as a piece of film; hated it for a retelling of Dracula. IMHO, Dracula is NOT a love story. It is a story of lust, and the dark consequences.
Couldn't agree about more about Coppola's Dracula it was very well done but yes the love story kind of ruined it. I think Anne Rice's books are better for vampire lust as in Interview With The Vampire (where a vamp sucking blood is treated almost like a sex scene) and The Vampire Lestat. The lust was vampire on vampire which never really truly worked out and the dark angles of that she explores in her books seems to be more in keeping with the true nature of vampirism (In terms of the folklore)-never mind all this teen romance where that is considered most important and the fact that they suck blood is just an afterthought
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 AM
From The Beyond

But I acknowledge that Anne Rice's books wouldn't have existed if it weren't for Bram Stoker-he did set the benchmark for vampire literature.