Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Living Dead

Shaun of the Dead and Return of the Living Dead (the tar zombie was my favorite)
Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Hellraiser

Would be Night of the living dead (remake), Return of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead.. these are my most favorite.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoTenshi View Post
Would be Night of the living dead (remake), Return of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead.. these are my most favorite.
Have you seen I, Zombie or Zombie Honeymoon? I thought they were both interesting takes on the zombie mythology. The former being a quiet and absorbing study on lonliness and the latter putting kind of a rom sitcom spin on it. I would recommend them both if you haven't seen em.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_StarChild_Xx View Post
Have you seen I, Zombie or Zombie Honeymoon? I thought they were both interesting takes on the zombie mythology. The former being a quiet and absorbing study on lonliness and the latter putting kind of a rom sitcom spin on it. I would recommend them both if you haven't seen em.
I haven't seen them, but they sound interesting! But they sound rare, I'll try to find them. Thank you for the recommendation :) If you have any more recommendation, do let me know :)
Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Here is a list of my top-ten favorite zombie movies (in order of preference) with explanations on why I like them:

1.The Night of the Living Dead (1968)- A very brilliant film. The film that created the zombie sub-genre in its preset and most known format. I loved the social and political messages- intended or not, they are still there. The acting was sometimes a little stale, but, generally, really good. Definitely one of the best, if not the best (which it is according to me), zombie films.

2. The Evil Dead (1981)- I know, it is debatable whether these are zombies or not, but I consider them to be demonic zombies. This movie was an all-around great film and honestly it is my favorite in the (Evil Dead) series.

3. Diary of the Dead (2008)- I know a lot of people hated this movie, but I loved it. I actually thought it was quite brilliant. The films featured a great deal of zombies and was even funny at parts, while also very effectively exploring the dark side of humanity. It was a great comment on the times that we are living in. Granted, it has a very dark, somber tone, but I actually thoroughly liked that aspect of the film. It shocks me that so many people hate this movie.

4. 28 Days Later (2002)- It could be argued that the zombies is this film are not really zombies because they were not necessarily dead, but for all intents and purposes they were zombies. I thought this film was a very well-made British film. That was very effective at exploring the dark side of humanity. What is fascinating is that this film is more about the humans than the zombies.

5. Dawn of the Dead (1978)- Definitely a very good movie. I loved the political and social themes. The acting was really good and the story equally good. This film, like all the best zombie films, effectively explores humanity- the good and bad side. The remake was pretty good too, but the original is,by far, better.

6. Return of the Living Dead (1985)- I thought this was a very good movie and I especially liked the humorous aspects of it. As well as some of the one-liners, my favorite being "send more paramedics". The ending is also pretty funny, in my opinion

7. The Evil Dead (2013)- Of course, the original Evil Dead is brilliant (and still my favorite of the two), but I found the remake to be really good as well. The plot was interesting and they did a great deal of character development for a modern film. I especially liked how they used elements of the original film, but used them in new and interesting ways, creating an entirely different film.

8. Zombie 2 (1980)- This film was very interesting indeed. In the usual Fulci fashion, it has a very unique logic. That is what is so fascinating about many of Fulci's films. The film was quite captivating especially being a B-Movie and includes such scenes as a zombie fighting with a (tiger) shark and,of course, the famous eye-gouging out scene. Definitely a must-see.

9. Shaun of the Dead (2004)- This film was definitely a very interesting spin on the zombie genre. Personally, I did not really consider it laugh out loud funny, although it certainly had such moments. It was more of a situational comedy. Overall, I thought the film was very interesting and unique (and definitely recommend seeing it).

10. The Beyond (1981)- This film is not the usual, straight zombie film. Zombies are just one of the creatures featured. This film also included witches (a witch, I think), ghosts, and spiders (among other things). Like other Fulci films, this follows a unique logic, but the logic of this is far more out-there than some of his other films. This film is more closely described as a nightmare being caught on film. Despite its unusual nature (which, by the way, is what I love about it), it is definitely worth a watch.

So, here is the list of my top-ten zombie films. Of course, I know that not everyone will agree with it and that is fine. I should also note that there are still some zombie films I have not seen such as, Zombieland, Dead Snow, Fido, Cemetary Man, any Day of the Dead films, I am Legend, or 28 Weeks later.

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-18-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Evil Dead

I will definitely be looking into Fulci's films. I have not seen any of them. I especially like the idea behind The Beyond (how he structured it as if it were a dream). And I have tons of recommendations! I'll give more when I get to a proper computer instead of this phone. Haha
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Dark Seduction

there is so many!!!!

My favorite would have to be dawn of the dead both original and 2004 remake I used to watch the remake all the time as a kid I know that movie line for line.

Day of the dead which has nick cannon in it is pretty good the zombies are not typical slow they are fast and quite athletic.

warm bodies the chick flick of zombie movies :o

zombie land one of the funniest zombie movies i ever watched and i liked all the main characters well the actors i mean and i liked the whole kill of the week and the zombie tips to surviving "zombie land".

evil dead i prefer the original the new one not to good i think
Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Little Boo

There are so many different kinds of zombie movies... My favorite just straight up zombie movies would be; Dawn of the Dead, Zombi 2, Rec and 28 days later. Possably Dead Meat too.

But if more occult themed movies are to be included, a Fulci flick or two would make the list. If action is included then I would even throw in a Resident Evil movie. They are horrible but the action is just so damn entertaining...

I don't know. There are just too many zombie movies and it's difficult to put one over the other since many of them are so different from each other.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Undead

I love Zombi 2 and Shaun of the Dead.

I'm from Pittsburgh, so the original Romero movies are kind of a big deal around here. I was raised to love Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Horror writer

I really like Dawn of the Dead (+remake) and 28 days/months later.
And Shaun of the Dead holds a special place in my heart.
By my true favourite is Splinter.