Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 PM
That fucking Guy...

Is it just me??

But I thought I'd get it out there anyways...

This is something that's been annoying me with games lately, almost to the point that I just don't feel like I can truly like them as much as I ought to...and what disturbs me is that for some genres of game, it seems to be becoming a trend.
Actually, what I'm about to speak of has even stopped me from playing a couple of games I REALLY thought I'd be playing - I'll get to that momentarily.

The game that started this all for me, Resident Evil 4.

I had played everything resident evil up to this point, re 1, 2, 3, cv, even the *ech* on-track shooter "survivor", played #0 which I think was one of the best RE games I'd ever played and hope to get it and finish it one day - only played temporarily.
Now, later on I tried RE: OUTBREAK and wasn't overly impressed but then with time I think I could maybe get into that one. That's shooting forward a bit.

So, I bought RE#4 quite a while back, really looking forward to continuing in the footsteps of one of the protagonists of my favourite "classic" RE game (2), Leon Kennedy. I had read that this one wasn't actually about zombies, well, not really...and hey, I'm all for change and mixing it up within reason and that didn't deter me whatsoever.
So I turned it on and then got my first taste of something I've come to hate.
I'm not sure what it's actually called in terms of perspective, but I'll just call it "off centre syndrome/OCS".
I tried.
I tried to get past it, I tried to get into this game but I just couldn't.
The controls felt clunky, you couldn't turn around fast enough for my liking, the "backing away/shooting" approach to me felt like it stalled the game significantly, your character felt less maneuverable, and when you did turn around you couldn't see SHIT behind you, there didn't appear (could be wrong) to be a "look behind you" kind of feature that might be at home in a racing game, and to be honest feeling like the character is constantly obscuring a larger chunk of the view than usual just pissed me off...so surprisingly even to myself, I gave up on RE4.
It wasn't just that I'm against change. Code Veronica changed. RE#0 changed even moreso, both evolutions for the better if you ask me - It's just this goddamn perspective and control style I cannot get along with.
Don't get me wrong...I don't just spastically spin around in circles shooting all around me panicking like a little girl, I CAN use games in this perspective/system, and I could probably finish them too if I were so inclined - but I just cannot subject myself to something that constantly annoys me.

Since then I've encountered OCS in the conker remake (though only for a small portion, and you could actually select alternative view, so I dealt with that) I've seen it in fallout 3 though I've not played that due to having sequel phobia about games I haven't played the precursors to, and of course resident evil 5 which to be honest I was expecting after RE4 and while it looked like a well made game, having spent about half an hour on that just last night it's another one I'm about to write off.
Now, you'll probably read that, and figure I haven't spent enough time trying - that's the usual reaction. Though to be honest a lot of the time if a game hasn't struck me within the first 10-15 minutes (rpg development aside) I won't consider it to be a game I can really get into. Could make me a judgemental gamer, but hey if that's me, that's me.

Besides - I do put in more time to games if I really want to try...one of my other recent run-ins with OCS and perhaps the most disappointing, for example, was Batman - Arkham Asylum.
Anyone that's known me for more than 5 minutes will know that this is a game that I would REALLY want to play, more-so than anything else that's out right now. For this game, I played into it until 5% completion.
Wondered around, had a good look, and even got past the fact that it was a bit more of a stealth title (another pet hate, one I HAVE learned to deal with), and all up I played for a couple of hours at least, before I just stopped - I was just sick to death of even TRYING to enjoy this game.
It's a well made game, don't get me wrong...great storyline, good voice acting and a really good atmosphere. I do have some issues with the slowdown during hand to hand combat (they COULD have done something more like "rise to honour" more effectively for faster fighting if you ask me) but that's not what did it for me. It was the goddamn OCS - it was like eating something delicious, but burning hot at the same time.
This, even though the RE series came close, is probably my biggest OCS related disappointment by far.

I get that it's the "in" thing at the moment, and I get why. It looks more cinematic, but yknow what? It's a fuckin' game not a movie...for me it's just a source of constant annoyance, like a comfortable shoe with a squeak...feeling like I can't move around as fluidly/fast as I could, feeling like my character is obscuring the vision of the scene in front. I don't want to have to turn around to get an idea of what's on the left/right...it's just tedious.

So I write this, wondering - am I the only one this gets to?
Surely I can't be?
I'm just sick to death of this annoying style...I mean shit, at least throw in the option for various views...shouldn't gaming have become MORE customisable rather than less?

Ok, rant over.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:50 AM
No, fuck YOU

You're just getting old, Cheebs. Maybe even too old for video games.

Deal with it.

I hate the AXIS invention, by the way. HATE IT!!!

If i wanted to move my arms in weird ways while playing, I would've bought a Wii.

Last edited by Angra; 10-03-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:01 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
You're just getting old, Cheebs. Maybe even too old for video games.

Deal with it.
Nup, it's not to do with my speed or dexterity just an annoying system. I couldn't see through solids when I was younger either.

Quote:
I hate the AXIS invention, by the way. HATE IT!!!

If i wanted to move my arms in weird ways while playing, I would've bought a Wii.
The sixaxis and the wii controls are both far from perfect I think.
But in both cases, a flawed system isn't to be blamed on the gamer...
Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
...there didn't appear (could be wrong) to be a "look behind you" kind of feature that might be at home in a racing game,
You can peform 180 degree spins in both RE 4 & 5, which is about as close as you're gonna get to a rear view mirror type of system. Generally agree with what you're saying though, but it wasn't such a big deal to me personally.

I'd say RE4 is such a good story though with some great moments that its well worth grinding through just for the high points. Worst example of what you're talking about though would in RE5.... Complete the tasks required to unlock the infinite ammo gattling gun only to have the ammo backpack obscure half the screen.