Old 01-25-2018, 08:07 AM
Paul

When is a 5-star review NOT a 5-star review..?

Answer - when it's posted on amazon!

I recently noticed that one of my novels had taken a sudden dip in overall score - dropping from a 4-star average to 3-star average (12 reviews at that point). I hadn't received any additional negative reviews or similar, yet was suddenly, unexpectedly lowered..?

It's subsequently come to light that amazon has recently changed its scoring policy to the following ...

"Amazon calculates a product’s star ratings using a machine learned model instead of a raw data average. The machine learned model takes into account factors including: the age of a review, helpfulness votes by customers and whether the reviews are from verified purchases."

I received an additional 5-star review last week - taking me back to a 3.5 average. Then, another 5-star review followed this week - yet it only increased my average by ... 0.1!!! (which is massively disproportional considering I currently only have 14 reviews..?)

I find it a bit unfair that amazon does not recognise the worth of either older reviews, ones that cannot be verified as purchased, or, reviews THEY tag from old paperback editions etc . . . Rant over.

Has anyone had similar issues..?

Last edited by JacobCain1971; 01-25-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 AM
No Tears Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobCain1971 View Post
Answer - when it's posted on amazon!

I recently noticed that one of my novels had taken a sudden dip in overall score - dropping from a 4-star average to 3-star average (12 reviews at that point). I hadn't received any additional negative reviews or similar, yet was suddenly, unexpectedly lowered..?

It's subsequently come to light that amazon has recently changed its scoring policy to the following ...

"Amazon calculates a product’s star ratings using a machine learned model instead of a raw data average. The machine learned model takes into account factors including: the age of a review, helpfulness votes by customers and whether the reviews are from verified purchases."

I received an additional 5-star review last week - taking me back to a 3.5 average. Then, another 5-star review followed this week - yet it only increased my average by ... 0.1!!! (which is massively disproportional considering I currently only have 14 reviews..?)

I find it a bit unfair that amazon does not recognise the worth of either older reviews, ones that cannot be verified as purchased, or, reviews THEY tag from old paperback editions etc . . . Rant over.

Has anyone had similar issues..?
At least you've got reviews, lol! I've moved a 60 or 70 units and have not received a single review. Regardless, it wasn't much of an offering, I'm sure people are quicker to review things they like. I'm learning I enjoy short stories a lot more. Just need to find someone who wants to put some in an anthology.

The People (short story) ---- http://www.inkitt.com/stories/10686

Trapped (Short Story) ---- https://www.inkitt.com/stories/horror/624905

The End : A Short Glimpse (Flash Fiction) --- https://www.inkitt.com/stories/horror/624912

Fear Awakens (novel) ----- Recently Restarted
Old 01-26-2018, 02:23 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
At least you've got reviews, lol! I've moved a 60 or 70 units and have not received a single review. Regardless, it wasn't much of an offering, I'm sure people are quicker to review things they like. I'm learning I enjoy short stories a lot more. Just need to find someone who wants to put some in an anthology.
Hi Jake - I feel your pain brother! It's an agonisingly slow process gaining reviews. All I can suggest is keep plugging away with free promos, sending review copies (if published in paperback too) into online reviewers etc. I've had a book out since 2006 (first edition) and still only got 2 reviews!!! On the flip side, more recent titles have reviews coming in steadily. Keep at it fella - you'll get there eventually!