Old 12-26-2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

Halloween (2018)

With all that's being said so far between me and cheeba, who hasn't even seen it yet, I figured I would make a thread for the people who have. I have a few things I wanted to ask people who have seen it to see what they think. I will write it's in white so people who haven't seen it won't have it spoiled for them...

First of all I want to say I don't think Michael is dead. Yes he was more or less locked inside of a furnace but that really means nothing. In a horror movie anything can happen and I realize we might as well not even count the times that everyone thought he was dead before since apparently those times no longer exist I just think it would have been too weird and sudden of an ending to be the actual ending. I would also like to think by them showing her daughter holding the knife, whether it be because she's too scared to put it down or because she is about to freak out, I still think there is more to be told on that as well as what exactly the link is between Michael Myers and Laurie Strode they really aren't brother and sister. I mean when the crazy ass doctor said Judith, it made Michael wake up. What if Lori looks like Judith and he saw her and thought she was still alive and he needed to finish the job. That actually kind of makes sense but I would like to think there is something deeper than that especially if they are insinuating the daughter holding the knife is the evil tendency in the family like what happened with Jamie at the end of Halloween 4.

I would love to hear some theories and inside from others who have seen it.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:23 AM
ventricle

SPOILERS

First of all, I thought the film was just OK as a horror thriller. I certainly wasn't impressed by any aspect of the film. Thought it was much too light on what I would consider the key themes of the original Halloween: the Boogeyman/The Shape, Laurie Strode, psychiatrist's obsession, suspense and horror. Neither did it add anything to the essential story, nor answer any questions.

On a positive note, I thought it managed to balance being a fan-film while still progressing the timeline, avoiding unintentionally corney parody, telling a different story and being sufficiently unpredictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningriser View Post
With all that's being said so far between me and cheeba, who hasn't even seen it yet, I figured I would make a thread for the people who have. I have a few things I wanted to ask people who have seen it to see what they think. I will write it's in white so people who haven't seen it won't have it spoiled for them...

First of all I want to say I don't think Michael is dead. Yes he was more or less locked inside of a furnace but that really means nothing. In a horror movie anything can happen and I realize we might as well not even count the times that everyone thought he was dead before since apparently those times no longer exist I just think it would have been too weird and sudden of an ending to be the actual ending. I would also like to think by them showing her daughter holding the knife, whether it be because she's too scared to put it down or because she is about to freak out, I still think there is more to be told on that as well as what exactly the link is between Michael Myers and Laurie Strode they really aren't brother and sister. I mean when the crazy ass doctor said Judith, it made Michael wake up. What if Lori looks like Judith and he saw her and thought she was still alive and he needed to finish the job. That actually kind of makes sense but I would like to think there is something deeper than that especially if they are insinuating the daughter holding the knife is the evil tendency in the family like what happened with Jamie at the end of Halloween 4.

I would love to hear some theories and inside from others who have seen it.
Is Michael still alive? You just have to look at the budget ($15mil) versus box office ($250mil). The answer is no mere mortals can resist Yes.

You're right, Michael could get out of the house somehow. Or, as the ending shot focuses on the bloody kitchen knife in the daughter's hand, she could be the new Boogeywoman.

It's interesting the film doesn't explore why Michael was going after Laurie. Certainly doesn't say Laurie was his sister. In the original, it could be enough that Laurie and friend drops off a key at Michael's old house, where he sees her, and stalks her. Why he'd have any interest in her after he's captured... (how he was captured is unaddressed in 2018 film) that is puzzling. Halloween 2, written by the same pair, introduced she was his sister, because they understood the plot needed it, something the writers of the 2018 missed. The podcast reporters asked Laurie why, she doesn't answer, and the film never addresses it again, which I think added disappointment.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-28-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:27 PM
That fucking Guy...

I think them not explaining the Strode connection works fine with the first movie.
It presented Michael as just a force of nature - an animal, a pure predator devoid of any human reasoning.
He set his sights on Laurie just because she happened to be in his path.
He saw her - that was it.
Her extermination became his only objective.
Whatever was, or wasn't "wrong with him" aside - I think it was simply that for whatever reason he chose what was there as his victim/prey and she was his singular "reason", tunnel vision.
I think between the two films, he was just on pause out of circumstance.
He was simply picking up where he left off.
She was still there - his aim was to remedy that, for whatever reason (or lack thereof) he had in the first place.
Whatever it was that drove him, that factor that I don't think was ever really intended to be understood by the audience (eg - can't explain/understand = scary)
was still in play.
Just like he was an animal in enforced hibernation.

Just me, but I think the lack of WHY was one of the things that made the first one so effective and what made Michael really unique...reasons and connections were only really toyed with in the sequels...this follow up was set firmly within the lore contained in the first movie, and I think they were happy to keep it there. I think what we have here is a sequel that stayed true.
He's the shark. She is his blood in the water.
I look forward to seeing him again, perhaps with that mask melted into his face.

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 05-11-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:32 AM
ventricle

Would be pretty interesting if the teen daughter (in 2018 version) becomes the next Boogeywoman... wonder if a shorty spice coming at ya would work? = p

Glad you liked 2018. I thought it was ok, just a little lacking. The podcast interview was a great vehicle to ask some questions, give some answers, even if the answer is 'don't know'.

Curious though... between the two films, how did they capture Michael in the first place? (After Loomis shot him out the window, he looked back and he was gone). Michael was captured, they could have had some 'cannon' fun with how. Laurie could have told them how she tried to get Michael killed in prison. Maybe some flashback. A convo she had with Michael's shrink convincing her he's still out to get her. Shrink trying to get info out of Laurie, and Laurie getting the idea he's obsessed. Just peppered in throughout the film... because I don't think I really got to know who the 2018 Laurie is, or who the psychiatrist was, or anyone really. I think it would have enhanced the film; because the suspense and action was subpar to the original.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-28-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Blaze Mordecai

I Fucking Loved Halloween (2018)

I thought this was a great film. I loved how it brought back elements of the original 2 films like where they follow Michael with the camera. Thats awesome! I loved the soundtrack. It was perfect! I liked the storyline as well. I am excited to see "Halloween Kills" on October 16th, 2020.

Is anyone else excited to see the new film?
Old 08-14-2019, 05:34 AM
Evil Dead

Some people wonder why Myers cannot die. Our money keeps him alive. He wears a bullet proof vest of dollars.

I liked aspects of the film. The doctor who helped Myers for instance. I also enjoyed the scene where he snuck into people's homes and just slaughtered them. Evil. And Casual.

Last edited by fudgetusk; 08-14-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 AM
Horror Fan

Lightbulb

They (Hollywood) are re-releasing the original Halloween in theaters this fall.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Undead

I saw it and i it looked 👍
Old 04-05-2020, 12:52 AM
Little Boo

Started liking it after my third viewing.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:33 PM
Little Boo

I thought it was pretty good. Some of the kills were savage and there were some cool callbacks to the original. Probably up there as one of my favorites in the series and I think it might even be the best out of the sequels.
Favorite horror movies: Friday the 13th series, A Nightmare on Elm Street 1 & 3, Child's Play series, The Mist, Jaws, Halloween series, Tremors, The Omen, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original, Remake, Beginning)