Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies

Old 10-28-2019, 03:31 PM
Little Boo

In your opinion, what is the scariest moment in a horror movie?

My mates and I (all huge horror fans) recorded a video recently on the moments we found to be the scariest in horror movies.

Video: https://youtu.be/Yj2xn91pzqU

We loved talking about it so we're opening up the question to you guys. In your opinion, what is the scariest moment in a horror movie?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:04 AM
Evil Dead

Apart from stuff I saw as a kid I don't think I've been scared by anything except in THE EXORCIST when the demon says "do you know what she did? Your ~~~~ting daughter?"

The Shining is pretty scary too. Particularly the old lady.

and you got it wrong in your film. It isn't the dad who pulls his face off in Poltergeist. It's one of the researchers.

Last edited by fudgetusk; 10-29-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Little Boo

I would say the moment where the camera angle changes or the character closes a mirror and you see the killer/monster behind them before the character notices them. That is very effective and gets me every time. Though I can't think of an example from a movie in the 80s and 70s besides Halloween where Michael gets up next to the closet and slowly walks toward Laurie. That is exactly why the final girl should always make sure the killer is dead.
Favorite horror movies: Friday the 13th series, A Nightmare on Elm Street 1 & 3, Child's Play series, The Mist, Jaws, Halloween series, Tremors, The Omen, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original, Remake, Beginning)
Old 04-15-2020, 09:06 AM
Evil Dead

I remember a few scenes from Insidious scaring the shite out of me, think I was around 11 when it came out. Especially that iconic scene when the Red Face Demon pops out behind Patrick Wilson's head.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Evil Dead

As a child, Fire in The Sky always scared me. I slept in my brother's room for a few weeks because of the images in that movie. Especially when Travis starts having flashback's of being abducted. That always stuck with me. Normally I would think something else would scare me, that movie alone scared me and I avoided it for years. I'm able to watch that movie now not being afraid of it, haha.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:39 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfTheLiving_Sam View Post
As a child, Fire in The Sky always scared me. I slept in my brother's room for a few weeks because of the images in that movie. Especially when Travis starts having flashback's of being abducted. That always stuck with me. Normally I would think something else would scare me, that movie alone scared me and I avoided it for years. I'm able to watch that movie now not being afraid of it, haha.
I haven't seen the whole film, but saw a scene on YouTube the other day where the aliens were doing experiments and it was truly disturbing.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:33 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

the moment you watch an indie film some awful filmmaker that you like as a person put in your hand - and you realise you have to give an honest review.

nothing more terrifying that that.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Little Boo

All of Nightmare on Elm street and all the Final destination movies
Old 09-10-2020, 06:52 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

first time i watched the vhs tapes in the ring and ringu it defianetly creeped me out as a kid, the conjuring had some scary parts in it, audition with the moving bag, asian horror recycle had some scary scenes, also the ghost from ju on is scary.... as a kid the shining and children of the corn scared me, the exorcist 3 with the jump scare with the large scissors, babadook is scary, pale man from pans labrynth, paranormal activities and blair witch project has some scary parts too, hmmm....

Last edited by TaeKwonZombie; 09-10-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:34 PM
Little Boo

so scary moments in a horror film...
It really does depend on a subgenre of horror?

But for me the creepiest films are the demonic/ghost ones... and so generally speaking for these...
I guess scenes shot at night add a level of creepy to a scene, as I am scared of dark in general (and this is particularly funny to people when they find out I am a fan of horror films).
When a film sets a dark mood from the very beginning, and the plot slowly reveals more and more of the evil, creating a very heavy tension. Everything just gets worse and you know there is no hope for the characters. That kind of gets me even though the scariest part should perhaps be the final reveal of the mystery itself, but it usually gets ruined without a good beginning.

So to speak of some particular movies, I would probably choose any of James Wan films. Slow movements of the camera in the interior, very fitting music, and an idea when trying to include jump scares in a film, something that we are not used to. For example the clapping scene in the basement in The Conjuring, I would not have guessed in that moment that the entity would reach out from behind the character, which made the scene particularly scary.

I could probably go on forever because yeah I am the smartest when I can not sleep, but this is probably enough for now. Please ignore my brain dead sentence structures and choice of words. Insomnia is speaking for me.