Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-12-2015, 10:24 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Please elaborate on Dark Places. I'm really curious about that one. I loved Gone Girl and I have a friend who told me that Dark Places the book was truly horrifying.
Thought it was quite boring. There.. Now go do something else.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:40 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Thought it was quite boring. There.. Now go do something else.
But I don't want to work.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Evil Dead

Let Us Prey 2015

Stranger brought in to a police station, seemingly being struck by a car earlier, but not appearing when a cop and the driver go to look for him. Spooky stuff then starts to happen.

The best part of this film is the dialogue, amusing, but not trying too hard. I wouldn't call it profound, but well written and interesting. I was paying closer attention to what characters were saying because of the quality. In general the film is predictable, but I didn't guess for sure what was going to happen. Some slight surprises in what I knew, and was right,did happen. The acting was alright, but nothing of note. The only thing that annoyed me was how conveniently a specific type of person(people?) all happened to be brought to the station or were already in it.

Not a lot of gore, but it was done well what gore there was.

I'd recommend seeing this once. 5.5/10
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Goodnight Mommy (2014)

Predictable & not actually 'scary' but still this is a very beautifully shot, 'Michael Haneke' inspired good psychological horror flick. Though there were different sort of hints & clues throughout the movie, yet it left unanswered couple of basic questions regarding the situation in the family...i.e. why the boys left alone in the first place while their mother was in the hospital & going through the surgery? Where is or what happened to the father? I think those issues could be resolved just in one or two lines or shots. Still an intense build up that keeps you guessing who is the actual terror here--the mom or the kids?, a macabre last half an hour as well as excellent direction & cinematography all over made it a great watch. I loved it but only like to recommend for the fans of psychological horror.

>>: A-

Quote:
Please elaborate on Dark Places. I'm really curious about that one. I loved Gone Girl and I have a friend who told me that Dark Places the book was truly horrifying.
Wow! Great to see you back on HDC, Chrono :)

Now, about DARK PLACES...I understand why Angra found it boring while I was frustrated. I haven't read the book, so I can't compare about how good or bad it was as an adaptation but as a movie, it's an okay drama with a mystery & elements that could work for a really cool & engaging horror/thriller but it took different approach and that frustrated me mostly.

Last edited by roshiq; 08-12-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
I loved Gone Girl too. Dark Places is very slow and the ending is a bit of a flop. It's an OK film I guess, but nothing like Gone Girl. I didn't know there was a book though, maybe the book is better than the movie.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:09 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

:: SPOILERS TO THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN ::

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
Wer 2013

Decently acted. Very good sfx. Very impressively done. The way the film was shot was great too. Sometimes a bit shaky, sometimes like a bad quality documentary, sometimes like a stationary wide angle lens, sometimes presented as video feed from observation cameras. Made the story feel more real, but also I think detracted from emotional investment. Which isn't a bad thing for me with this film. The enjoyment was in the story and how Talon was played. Brian Scott O'Connor did a fantastic job. Particularly with prosthetics/creature effects. The film was fairly predictable, except for SPOILER ALERT:Talon not being a cuddly wolf after all, but ripping jaws off and getting ready to rape Kate Moore, his defending attorney, which pleased me because the opposite often happens.
However something in this film didn't do it for me. I can't quite say what it is after just viewing. So not more to say about that than that.

With whatever it was that didn't work for me I'd give this film 6/10. If you take away this unknown aspect, then its 7.5/10 bordering on 8.

Maybe I didn't fully get into it because there was no relationship with the characters. Not that they lacked depth, but the way it was filmed did not allow me to be too sucked into the experience. But I liked how it was filmed. Blah. Anyway, its worth checking out if you haven't already. Definitely recommend.
I didn't care for how it was filmed. Maybe that was just me. Sometimes it worked but most times I didn't understand why it needed to be shot like a home movie. Is that a new thing these days? Hell why don't I just make a movie!

That aside I did like it myself. I was actually starting to wonder if this condition could be real, they made lycanthropy not a curse or a weird myth by some magical unexplained means come to life. It was a disease, and it almost made complete sense. And then he did weird shit like not die from multiple gun shot wounds and land on hi feet after falling from a very tall building. That was my beef with it, maybe it bothered you, Boss?

Gavin bothered me a little. This weird little nobody pining more after a lost love than focusing on his damn job. Then when he gets infected he shaves every hair off his body what....? Okay then. Curious what happened to him after words... his hair at least seemed to have oddly grown back.

Props to this movie for its death scenes. Not only was it bloody fantastic with its makeup and effects, but they even killed off a ten year old kid. That's pushing many boundaries that most movies won't go near, and it easily set the pace for the film. With a child killer on the loose it was no wonder they rushed to capture and condemn a suspect.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Evil Sweat

SPOILERS of the movie WER below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post

And then he did weird shit like not die from multiple gun shot wounds and land on hi feet after falling from a very tall building. That was my beef with it, maybe it bothered you, Boss?
Don't remember him being hit by the shots.
But anyway, werewolf superpowers, I guess.
The rules vary from movie to movie.
Some need a silver bullet, other die from regular bullets and change back to their human form.

I didn't have any beeft with the movie.
Thought it was a refreshing take on the genre and it's easily one of of my favourite werewolf movies.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post

I didn't care for how it was filmed. Maybe that was just me. Sometimes it worked but most times I didn't understand why it needed to be shot like a home movie. Is that a new thing these days? Hell why don't I just make a movie!

That aside I did like it myself. I was actually starting to wonder if this condition could be real, they made lycanthropy not a curse or a weird myth by some magical unexplained means come to life. It was a disease, and it almost made complete sense. And then he did weird shit like not die from multiple gun shot wounds and land on hi feet after falling from a very tall building. That was my beef with it, maybe it bothered you, Boss?

Gavin bothered me a little. This weird little nobody pining more after a lost love than focusing on his damn job. Then when he gets infected he shaves every hair off his body what....? Okay then. Curious what happened to him after words... his hair at least seemed to have oddly grown back.

Props to this movie for its death scenes. Not only was it bloody fantastic with its makeup and effects, but they even killed off a ten year old kid. That's pushing many boundaries that most movies won't go near, and it easily set the pace for the film. With a child killer on the loose it was no wonder they rushed to capture and condemn a suspect.
SPOILERS TO WER IN FOLLOWING COMMENT

The reason I liked the way it was filmed is that it ended up making the film feel more real. A lot of it wasn't shot like a home movie? I thought there was a lot of variety in the kinds of shooting used. I'm undecided about the lycanthropy being a disease. I did like the effects of the jumping from high stories, but the bullets not doing anything at all was annoying. As if he's so strong he's not affected by ballistics. I can only suspend my disbelief so much. I can see how the film turning it into a werewolf instead of just a poor man with a disease could be annoying. Undecided about it. I enjoyed the effects and how the ferociousness of the werewolf form was used. A monster who is vicious without much logical thought. Something to be hunted and killed. The porphyria and moon's gravitation pool bit was silly and this wasn't a silly film. Porphyria is over used in horror too.

Yeah the torso of the dead kid was intense.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
SPOILERS of the movie WER below

Don't remember him being hit by the shots.
But anyway, werewolf superpowers, I guess.
The rules vary from movie to movie.
Some need a silver bullet, other die from regular bullets and change back to their human form.

I didn't have any beeft with the movie.
Thought it was a refreshing take on the genre and it's easily one of of my favourite werewolf movies.
I believe it was before the van flipped and he got away again. They thought he was dead cause they filled his chest with holes. I hope I'm not making it sound like that made me dislike the movie. I did like it, but the most I can get out of fear from werewolves is when there's that small chance that it could actually exist. The movie made it seem so real for quite a bit, but I don't care what kind of disease you have, no one can survive a fall from a building like Talan did (let alone land completely unharmed on all fours), or take that many gunshot wounds and just keep on going. It made the vision in my head unbelievable and I wasn't as drawn into the movie like I was.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
SPOILERS TO WER IN FOLLOWING COMMENT

The reason I liked the way it was filmed is that it ended up making the film feel more real. A lot of it wasn't shot like a home movie? I thought there was a lot of variety in the kinds of shooting used.

I'm undecided about the lycanthropy being a disease. I did like the effects of the jumping from high stories, but the bullets not doing anything at all was annoying. As if he's so strong he's not affected by ballistics. I can only suspend my disbelief so much. I can see how the film turning it into a werewolf instead of just a poor man with a disease could be annoying. Undecided about it. I enjoyed the effects and how the ferociousness of the werewolf form was used. A monster who is vicious without much logical thought. Something to be hunted and killed. The porphyria and moon's gravitation pool bit was silly and this wasn't a silly film. Porphyria is over used in horror too.

Yeah the torso of the dead kid was intense.
I consider shaky video that makes me want to slap the cameraman to be in the genre of 'home movie', but it didn't bother me too bad. I just didn't think it was necessary and I don't understand why it's so commonly used these days.

Yeah like the movie couldn't decide what it was doing at first... They made Talan human with this disease, and then they went full on cliche with the typical werewolf symptoms of viciousness and invincibility. I can't believe I'm saying this but, I think I was let down by their decision not to be so original and use the usual werewolf formula.

Not that I'm saying I don't enjoy werewolf cliches! I just think it would've been nice to see something different too.

I don't know. I'm very torn. Maybe I don't know what about it bothers me either, Boss.

And omfg I was not ready for seeing the dead kid. His father's body (and even his mother when she was still alive) were grizzly enough. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I like that they just kept it small and didn't even go into detail with what happened to him. Just seeing the boy missing half his body spoke volumes.

Last edited by Roiffalo; 08-13-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Tags
movie