Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
The Debt

I thought this would be more epic and dramatic but it just ended up as a typical espionage thriller/action movie. It's still a good movie, just not a great one. I had hopes for this and ultimately was disappointed.
I wasn't so disappointed but I just didn't get how some field agents could kept a lie...a big failure of a major assignment as a secret from an organization like Mossad for all those years...that's really silly and hard to believe.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Pirate of Bengal

His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th (2009)

>>: A-
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
No, fuck YOU

"Chillerama" 5-6/10

I was certain this was directed by the same guy who was behind "Poultrygeist". Turns out it wasn't even a Troma. All the signs were there..

Didn't really find it funny untill the ending. THAT had me laughing. The busy dude looking at the camera saying, "... what?!!" :D
Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
I wasn't so disappointed but I just didn't get how some field agents could kept a lie...a big failure of a major assignment as a secret from an organization like Mossad for all those years...that's really silly and hard to believe.
Yeah that definitely was stupid
Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 PM
For Vendetta

Excellent entertainer. Recommended.

* * * ½
Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979 & 2011)

This is not our typical mambo-jumbo heavy action packed spy thriller like 007, Jason Bourne or Ethan Hunt stories. Directed by John Irvin, the 1979 BBC TV-miniseries is a highly gripping, sharp & dialog driven British espionage tale set on the backdrop of 50s & 60s cold war. The thing is a TV series allows much more time for the story & character development for such a sensitive story like this with a great amount of diversified characters & events. And BBC superbly utilized its running time through the creative hands of John Irvin where it seems they followed the original novel of John Le Carre almost word by word every detail; resulting a perfect adaptation, too good for TV. The cast assembles a bunch of such brilliant actors like Alec Guinness (as George Smiley), Ian Bannen, Joss Ackland, Patrick Stewart (cameo as Karla) & many more of that golden era all together into the fascinating 'A mole in the Circus' mystery.

After watching the 7 part miniseries I instantly downloaded & saw the very recent Film version of TTSS last night. Like following the rewarding footsteps of John Irvin's miniseries, Tomas Alfredson's 2011 film adaptation also comes with a great cast of respected contemporary actors like John Hurt, Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Toby Jones, Tom Hardy & many more. Along with this great cast the 2nd grand thing about the movie is Tomas Alfredson's neat & stylish camera works & cinematography. But sadly I have to say that's the only few good things about the movie.

I'm not sure but perhaps it's because I saw the BBC's miniseries first where the story & the characters were very detailed & clear but I think for most of the viewers who haven't read the novel or seen the miniseries it'd be kind of hard to follow or enjoy the whole gem of the story. There was a clear rush to tell the story in the film where it was like either they cut or compressed the story, some of the characters have never got the space that they need, to build up the tension that was required for the mystery to unfold nicely. IMO: it'd be better if they made the film adaptation into 2 parts keeping the same cast except for the actor who played Tobe Esterhase (that was a miscast for the role).

And the thing that I missed most was the highly symbolic opening title credits of the miniseries that features Russian nesting dolls gradually revealing a doll more irate than the previous, with the final doll being faceless!

My suggestion: Watch the BBC miniseries or read the novel first before going to see the film. That will help you a lot to enjoy this fascinating espionage tale of tracking down a double agent in the top of British Secret service.

Soon I'll definitely download & check out Smiley's People, the 1982 BBC's sequel of TTSS!

>>: BBC Miniseries: A+

>>: The 2011 movie: B
Old 01-14-2012, 03:36 AM
with knives for fingers..

Trollhunter on blu ray - loved it! Funny and scary with awesome monsters!

four stars ****
Old 01-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Midnight toker

I'm Still Here (2010): The Joaquin Phoenix mockumentary... Don't really get why he got so much flack for this movie. It's a really solid comedy with a great concept and some really quality acting. Somewhere between a Christopher Guest mockumentary and something like Ali G or Borat, slow paced but plenty of laughs. Well worth a watch, really enjoyed it.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Good stuff but a bit predicable.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM
HDC Idol

The Runaways (2010)

Second time watching it and it's still fantastic. Incredibly well-directed and acted biopic. Stewart and Fanning truly do a great job at being Jett and Currie respectively. Still shocking and disturbing how these young women were exploited and taken advantage of, but I think that this movie truly captures the mood and the blur of their experiences at the time.

Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet. I really need to own this.

4.5/5.