Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Tenant

The Locker

Davy Jones’ Locker -noun: the ocean's bottom, esp. when regarded as the grave of all who perish at sea. (Dictionary.com)

Fremantle, Western Australia, current day.

Braylon Reynolds is an author seemingly at peace with himself and his life. The film opens in his small house by the Fremantle port as he is finishing a day’s writing and the sun is setting. He lives alone, but his routine is free and easy and it is obvious he has been living there for quite some time. He is somewhere around the age of 35.

In the beginning of the film, a pattern is developed; by day Braylon sits and writes via his dated typewriter and by night he walks across the broad dirt road to “Chip’s”, a bar where he seems very at ease and well-liked. He is shown conversing with the regulars (which are the entirety of the customers) and the bartender, Chip.

Of specific importance are the transitions between these locations, the house and the bar, and the way that Braylon looks so comfortable with the land, the remote waves of the Indian Ocean, and all the noises a port makes, day and night.

One evening, Braylon finishes writing and, as usual, and leaves his place. On his way across the street, he notices a large ship ported next to the usual smaller ones. He wanders over and, while conversing with one of the seamen, learns that the ship is to set sail for a port in Kenya the day after tomorrow and was still in need of some crew. He sounds interested but doesn’t give any final response. He heads over to “Chip’s”.

The mood should be loose and casual, and the evening begins like any other. Braylon gets very drunk amongst his bar friends and is shown enjoying himself (maybe a little too much) over billiards, darts, and other activities one is accustomed to enjoying in a bar. One by one the regulars leave, and finally, only Braylon remains.

Drunkenly, Braylon tells Chip they are to have one more beer each, on him. Chip nods, but looks distant and broken. He walks away and comes back with a couple of bottles.

Braylon cracks his open, then jumps as he looks back up at his friend and server. Chip is the same as he ever was save one detail: where once there were two very human eyes there are now two black saucers, jelly-like and indefinite. Chip is crying, and tears stream from the saucers in big waves.

He warns Braylon not to go with the ship, begs him, pleads with him. The scene ends.

---

Braylon is on board, and has a small cabin to himself. It is assumed that he and the rest of the crew took off no more than a day or so before. There are several scenes involving Braylon conversing with the crew, and of course performing small duties as he signed on to do, but in the evenings when the other crew members were mingling, he would go back to his cabin and write. He seems more distant and unsure than he did in the film’s establishing scenes.

As the ship sails onward over the endless stretch of ocean, the water and sky seem to become blacker. A storm seems to be on the rise, but no one notices but Braylon. His mood becomes less gracious and more brooding every day, and he begins to retire to his quarters earlier and earlier.

One night he is seen smoking over the edge of the boat, gazing into the black abyss of the ocean. A greenish hand touches his shoulder and he turns around. There stands a man in seamen uniform, taught from head to toe. His eyes are like Chip’s several weeks before, deep dark saucers which seem to match the sea in color and depth.

Braylon seems just as nervous in this encounter as he was during the one in the bar. The sailor asks him for a light, and he shakingly gives it to him. The sailor begins to ask him about his life, and gets more and more personal until he becomes blunt. He tells Braylon to get off the boat, to jump into the ocean if he must, but to get the hell off the boat. As his talk becomes more vicious, his eyes become deeper and blacker.

Suddenly he is in the water. There is blackness all around him, up is down, down is up. Tentacles come from all around him, but he seems so deep in the water that he (and we) can see nothing of their origins. He screams, and water fills his lungs.

Suddenly he is lying on board, choking on the water but saved and alright. The crew says they heard him screaming and then a splash, but when he hysterically shouts about the sailor with the holes for eyes they search him suspiciously. They neither heard nor saw any trace of such a creature.

Over the course of several weeks his encounters with the abyss-eyed men become more and more frequent and, even more frightening, his close friends and crewmates start to haunt him with the eyes. There begins to be more group encounters, and his life with the ordinary crew and his nightmares with the black-eyed crew become intertwined in a nauseating, surreal storm at sea.

It has been several months and the wear and tear of the haunting of the creatures has taken its tole on Braylon. He is jumpy, frail, pale, sick. His writing has stopped; his typewriter lies in the corner of his cabin, covered in dust and cobwebs.

And one night, almost expectantly, a soft song bleeds through the air and into the ears of Braylon Reynolds, who is sitting cross legged in the other corner of his cabin.

The song awakens something in him, and he ventures out onto the deck of the large ship. He turns to the left and sees the crew, all gape-eyed and staring at him.

The song continues, its origin unknown, its tone haunting and distant. The creatures on deck begin to whisper to him softly, “jump, jump”. They tell him to go down there, to venture down to the bottom, where he will find what he is looking for.

Braylon, seemingly under a trance, climbs slowly overboard and falls into the water. The creatures sluggishly wander to the edge of the ship and look down at him as he slowly drowns, choking on the pitch-black waters of the Indian Ocean. He sinks down, down. He is consumed.

---

The final scene opens in “Chip’s” during a typical Friday night. The crowd is big; the ship has just come in, and sailors are leaking into the pub to celebrate their return. Chip is looks very normal and himself.

A man walks in suddenly, very business-like and stark. He tells Chip of Braylon’s suicide at sea, of the way he threw himself into the black waters at night; the way one sailor heard a splash but by the time the crew had gotten to the edge there was nothing, no sight of the man.

The man says he is sorry, and leaves.
And Chip looks after him as he exits, and on his face there is nothing.

End.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Cranky

This is a crazy story! Quite unique. Might be a bit slow- but under the right director it might be effective. Perhaps some things could be fleshed out- Braylon's past- what is he writing- how do those things relate to the storyline? There's no reasoning behind why he ends up accepting his fate at the bottom of the sea. I need some motivation... unless the lack of motivation was a choice you made.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Zydrate Anatomy

I found this is a surprisingly difficult challenge as the perspective from most novels doesn't really translate onto radio. I was actually thinking of doing World War Z, but Chrono beat me to it. :p

So the next idea that came to mind was for the novel, "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson. Most of you are familiar with this story as it was made into two movies (the first obviously far superior). A doctor, Dr. Montague, has an interest in the paranormal hires two "psychics" to comes to a known haunted house, accompanied by the heir to the house. It's a ghost story that also deals with issues of rationality and mental stability.

For the radio broadcast, it would be a series of "found" tapes of Dr. Montague's recordings of his study while in Hill House. It would tell how he came to find the two psychics, Theo and Eleanor and their experiences in the house, including interviews with the caretaker and the heir to the house himself, Luke (who was also present). It would also mark Eleanor descent into madness and her ultimate desire to join with the ghosts of the house.

[Sample broadcast to follow in next post.]

"It is now Wednesday and I will attempt to describe the events of last night. I'm still unsure if we have indeed come across true paranormal activity or it is all the mind. The mind will often play tricks with you and paranoia can easily take over. Especially in the dark.

Last night both Theo and Eleanor were awoken by a strange noise in the hall. It was almost like a banging, which increased in intensity and then abruptly stopped. The women attempted to fall asleep and Eleanor had taken a hold of Theo's hand in comfort. It was only a few hours later when Luke and I heard screaming from their room. Eleanor was hysterical saying that she had thought she held Theo's hand, but Theo was across the room, and it must have been a hand from a ghost or something.

We didn't know what think. With Eleanor's past situation of her seclusion prior to coming here, I can only think this is contributing to her mental state. It is day now and we all seems to find solace in the daylight. Though it seems that Eleanor is spending a lot of time engrossed by the statues of the houses original occupants in the solarium. I know there is nothing wrong with looking at statues, but there is just something eerie about the way she looks at Crain's statue, it's almost...lovingly."

Last edited by _____V_____; 02-23-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
ELIMINATION ROUND #1
- Roshiq and Cactus - You are a fresh indie movie director who dreams of making it big. Do you have what it takes to be the next big thing in horror?
Just to put an effort...I'm sharing this idea here. Though the challenge was quite wide open & any contestant I guess could do a lot better than me but perhaps I haven't that kinda talent so I was pretty uncomfortable with it for the last 2 days. I'm just writing the idea here..its still need more work, perhaps I need a co-writer to give it a sense & making it something at least watchable:(

anyway, here it goes...

The Cannibal Club

A group of wicked, disturbed but high society people formed a vicious circle to meet their gruesome thirst & hunger for human flesh. Prof. Samuel Simon was the founder member who has been in Africa for his secret research work on cannibalism & managed to brought a man named 'Khalil' from there who works as a Cook for them in their secret place at Daniel's lake house. Daniel Duff is a business man who is also the nephew of Prof. Simon & presidium member of the club and able to recruit the other members like Dr. Martin Moore, the police officer Phillip Peterson, the banker Harvey Hamilton & some others like them. All things were going well like every member was contributing every week to 'manage & collect an item' for the club and at every Saturday night there's been the special dinner where everyone gathered to have a fest for cooked & sliced flesh from a human body!
Anyway, the club was running well & in every month there's been some new member willingly or by some other means have joining the club. But suddenly things started to face a gruesome change when every week just before the dinner one by one the members were killing by some unknown maniac killer! The killer is also a cannibal but he likes to have the raw fleshes. Who is this killer? Is he one of them? or an outsider or an ex member of the club like Luther Lewis who has recently escaped from a mental asylum?

In the end after all the gore fest between the killer and the 'survivors', it'll be shown that the club still exits but in some other place with some new formation.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
This is a crazy story! Quite unique. Might be a bit slow- but under the right director it might be effective. Perhaps some things could be fleshed out- Braylon's past- what is he writing- how do those things relate to the storyline? There's no reasoning behind why he ends up accepting his fate at the bottom of the sea. I need some motivation... unless the lack of motivation was a choice you made.
Yes, his writing was one thing I thought I could incorporate more surely into the story, but I don't want to do too much with it. I'd like him to be someone who originally has a lot of confidence without a lot of material goods or success.

As far as motivation, I really wanted that aspect of the story to be vague. I think the line between whether he fell under a kind of voodoo trance (I was thinking I Walked With a Zombie at sea) or whether he jumped because something in his mind broke to be fuzzy.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Thanks NE for the comments.

I wonder if Disease has found the time to do it yet?

The Ferrets like it...
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM
For Vendetta

48 Hours are up, and I havent received any PMs or email for extension in time.

8 Finalists have answered their challenges, and I ll request all Judges to send me their Grades.

2 Finalists havent answered within the stipulated time limit, and so face automatic elimination. They will be joined by the Finalist who scores the lowest Grade in this Round.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 AM
She's under the stairs

Errrr, I just didn't have any time in the past 2 days... Oh well.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha
Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
They will be joined by the Finalist who scores the lowest Grade in this Round.
OH CRAP

I assumed that if people didn't submit answers, they would be the only ones eliminated.

So much for, this is better than nothing. Oops. :o :(

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
OH CRAP

I assumed that if people didn't submit answers, they would be the only ones eliminated.
(
Me too.:o

Anyway, rules are rules, so I'm feeling bad about myself...I think this time I'm under great threat. :(