Old 03-30-2020, 12:45 PM
Evil Dead

Cool My Bloody Valentine

I was a bit late for looking back at the original "My Bloody Valentine" this year, but it's better late than never. That's another one of those great timeless classic slasher films that just never gets old to me. I'd rate it right up with the original Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Hills Have Eyes series, and definitely NOT the remakes.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:49 AM
Evil Dead

COUNT DRACULA (1977). In my opinion, the most faithful version of the Bram Stoker novel, although there are differences (Arthur and Quincy are merged into one person and Mina/Lucy are sisters instead of friends) and there are occasional overly stodgy moments. But all quibbling aside, the BBC deserves kudos for taking what is a very long, involved story (probably, the only way to really do it justice would be multiple entries like LORD OF THE RINGS) and doing a decent job. Louis Jourdan is almost too refined to do the Count justice, but some great moments involving him, particularly his mode of travel while at the castle.
Supporting cast very good with Frank Finlay standing out as Van Helsing, Judi Bowker very appealing as Mina and Susan Penhaligon runs with the role of Lucy and let's not forget the truly creepy moments involving Dracula's brides ***1/2
Old 04-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Living Dead

Alice, Sweet Alice aka Communion or Holy Terror (1976), directed by Alfred Sole.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Nightmare on Elm Street 2.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:33 AM
Evil Dead

Thumbs up April Fool's Day

I was not nearly as late with my yearly look back at the original April Fool's Day, which is also always fun to look back on. That's another good entertaining classic 1980s slasher film with plenty of good scary kill scenes that turn out to be just as equally funny when revealed how they were faked. There are also plenty of humorous prank scenes when regular pranks get pulled on random characters in different scenes, along with plenty of good humor and dialogue to keep the movie interesting and entertaining in between scenes where something either funny or scary happens. It also has the good classic 1980s charm and appeal that the original Friday the 13th, My Bloody Valentine, and Nightmare On Elm Street have.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:45 AM
Evil Dead

Thumbs up World Beyond

I also looked back at "World Beyond," a made for TV horror film that originally aired back in January 1978. It is about a man who was temporarily killed in a motorcycle accident before being brought back to life by the machines in the hospital, only to have gained the ability to have the dead contact him for help when needed. In his case, he had a the ghost of a recently killed man telling him to go to Logan's Island to save his sister from a golem or mud monster he had created to have the experiment go wrong and out of control. The golem or mud monster is a strong and smart creature who knows how to trap people on the island and strong enough to pull boats out of the water, punch holes in their bottoms to where they can not travel anymore, also knowing to avoid its weaknesses and what could harm it. There is a scene where they are able to dislocate the mud monster's hand when it tries to get into the house before slamming the door on it, only to have the dislocated hand come to life, along with a funny scene when the main character goes down the cellar stairs, looking for the dislocated hand, only to have the hand waiting in the shadows on one of the steps, grabbing his ankle, making him fall down the stairs. It is overall some scary stuff, especially for a made for TV movie on a limited budget. I would rate this one up with the original Trilogy Of Terror, Dark Night Of The Scarecrow, Don't Go In The House, and the like.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:28 AM
Evil Dead

ILSA, SHE WOLF OF THE SS (1974). The merits (or Demerits) for his outrageously bad film have not been exaggerated. While I agree with critic Danny Peary (His CULT MOVIES books are great) that the brutality looks staged, there is a truly sleazy sadism prevalent throughout. In the waning days of WW2, ultra bodacious Dyanne Thorne (who's not bad here, to be honest) spends her days proving that women can endure pain better for future soldiers (these scenes are pretty nasty) while spending her nights trying to find a male prisoner who can satisfy her hyper sexuality. Invariably, the poor guy can't cut the mustard, so his mustard is cut the following morning. New Prisoner arrivals include one guy whose sexual stamina (He's American, natch) satisfies Ilsa enough to let him live which eventually leads to her downfall.
Interestingly, the film was shot within nine days on the long cancelled HOGAN HEROES's set which was given to the crew to use as it meant the sets would be destroyed at no cost to the HH network. Also, Dyanne (who passed on a few months ago and was in a couple of Star Trek episodes) was recruited last minute as original star Phyllis Davis, who had no problem with the nudity (see TERMINAL ISLANd or SWEET SUGAR) objected to a scene where Ilsa fulfills the wish of a visiting Nazi official; indeed even Dyanne didn't like this, but was trouper enough to do it.
Not good by any means, but campy enough to check out. **
Old 04-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Nightmare on Elm Street 3-Dream Warriors. I'm going through the series this week.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:40 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKiller View Post
Nightmare on Elm Street 2.
What'd you think of Nightmare on Elm Street 2? It's kind of an outlier, not written by Craven, none of the original characters, besides Kruger.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:30 AM
Evil Dead

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (1985). Haven't watched this in forever and still think it's a GREAT film....good story, some cool grue, neat zombies and still genuinely funny. Really like James Karen and Clu Gulagher, but think more kudos should be given to Miguel Nunez, who has some great lines ("Man...what a hideous UGLY place!" to "Help Me bar the door...You Stupid Fuckers!"). Accordingly, Linnea Quigley really is good in here, although paying more attention, noticed that for all her her talk of how she would want to die, looks less than thrilled when it happens the way she described it. ****