Old 06-06-2006, 05:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Angra
I knew it.

It´s all authors who´s either dead a 100 years ago or who´s never been translated.

Great, thanks.:rolleyes:
his fault you live in the wrong part of the world at the wrong time ?

:cool:
Old 06-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Scares Little Kids

Still being somewhat new to the genre, I haven't read a lot of horror novels, per se, but in the last year or so, I've worked through a decent mix of contemporary and classic horror.

The only King novel I've read so far is 'Salem's Lot, which I liked well enough, but it didn't stick to my ribs as much as, for instance, the book I'm reading now, which is Peter Straub's Ghost Story.

That said, I've seen plenty of interviews with Stephen King, and I like him quite a bit as a person, and I do look forward to the next novel of his I'll read (probably Carrie).

Somehow, he manages to be an author who is praised beyond his abilities by some, while others dismiss him unfairly.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Your funeral... my trial

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
Still being somewhat new to the genre, I haven't read a lot of horror novels, per se, but in the last year or so, I've worked through a decent mix of contemporary and classic horror.

The only King novel I've read so far is 'Salem's Lot, which I liked well enough, but it didn't stick to my ribs as much as, for instance, the book I'm reading now, which is Peter Straub's Ghost Story.

That said, I've seen plenty of interviews with Stephen King, and I like him quite a bit as a person, and I do look forward to the next novel of his I'll read (probably Carrie).

Somehow, he manages to be an author who is praised beyond his abilities by some, while others dismiss him unfairly.
Good choice there. Ghost Story is far superior to anything King has ever written.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Scares Little Kids

The cover of the book mentions a couple of novels he co-wrote with King. The Talisman and another I can't remember off the top of my head.

How are those?

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 06-07-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
The cover of the book mentions a couple of novels he co-wrote with King. The Talisman and another I can't remember off the top of my head.

How are those?
black house is the other.

in my oipinion they are both terrible
Old 06-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Scares Little Kids

Did you like Ghost Story?

I'm enjoying Straub's prose. I discovered him around Halloween, when I read one of his short stories in October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween. When I saw a small number of his novels at the store, Ghost Story seemed pretty promising.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

i read ghost story when it first came out - shadowland before that ..
i read most of his earlier novels back in the day.

i enjoyed ghost story then .. dont know how i'd feel about it now.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 AM
HDC's old chick

I enjoyed The Talisman, but thought Black House was a bunch of rubbish.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Your funeral... my trial

Quote:
Did you like Ghost Story?

I'm enjoying Straub's prose. I discovered him around Halloween, when I read one of his short stories in October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween. When I saw a small number of his novels at the store, Ghost Story seemed pretty promising.
If you do like Ghost Story, I'd suggest reading If You Could See Me Now and Julia next. Unfortunately, Straub's work has seen a decline in recent years, and I don't think anything he's written lately has been up to the standard of his earlier work.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by hammerfan
I enjoyed The Talisman, but thought Black House was a bunch of rubbish.
black house has the distinction of being the only book i ever started and then abandoned (so far)

smarmy and self serving piece of crap