Old 02-29-2008, 03:06 PM
The Queen of Swords

Send a message via AIM to Haunted
Duma Key

Just read this. It's King's latest, and I don't know. I really liked it because of the themes that he used. However, it lacks that subtle horror that builds into the breakthrough that you get at the end. Some parts left me going eh...hmmm. You know?

I think Stephen King is a master at his craft. His works are evocative. It's just a matter finding his groove.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:51 PM
whatever gets you through

Hi haunted - glad to see you back around.

I have been tempted by this book since i liked lisey's story.

z
Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
The Queen of Swords

I haven't read Lisey's Story yet. I want to, but if you'll remember I too am writing a book. So my time is taken up with shit n' stuff n' things. Is it good? Duma really very slowly leads you into horror. I'm assuming LIssey's does the same thing, yes?

Thanks for the warm welcome, ma petite singe. Je t'adore!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Infection Form

Kings pretty good, although he has put out some serious crap (Insomnia, the Eyes of the Dragon) I haven't read his new stuff, but I want to give "Cell" a try.

I still have no idea what "Duma Key" is about.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by colubrid660 View Post
Kings pretty good, although he has put out some serious crap (Insomnia, the Eyes of the Dragon) I haven't read his new stuff, but I want to give "Cell" a try.

I still have no idea what "Duma Key" is about.
That's funny because I'm looking at Eyes of the Dragon right now, it was lent to me by a HUGE King fan who says it's in her top three of his books. I'm going to give Duma Key a go soon, it looked like an interesting premise.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
That's funny because I'm looking at Eyes of the Dragon right now, it was lent to me by a HUGE King fan who says it's in her top three of his books. I'm going to give Duma Key a go soon, it looked like an interesting premise.
I actually like Eyes of the Dragon AND Insomnia....but neither is a favorite of mine. I think they are both quite a bit better than what I consider to be King's worst (Christine, Dreamcatcher, From A Buick 8).

I haven't read Duma Key yet, but I actually loved Lisey's Story, somewhat to my surprise.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Infection Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
That's funny because I'm looking at Eyes of the Dragon right now, it was lent to me by a HUGE King fan who says it's in her top three of his books.
yeah a lot of people like it. Its okay as far as most fantasy fiction goes, but then again I am not a fantasy fan. So before I get a deluge of responses of people telling how great it really is, I thought it was a lame little feel-good fable that somehow ties into the Dark Tower series. Thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna26 View Post
what I consider to be King's worst (Christine, Dreamcatcher, From A Buick 8).
Yeah those are pretty bad as well. Dreamcatcher is alright I guess, the movie was awful, but like half of the book is pretty good, the other half was boring. The same goes for Insomnia. I don't remember trying very hard to put it down.

Last edited by colubrid660; 03-03-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by colubrid660 View Post
yeah a lot of people like it. Its okay as far as most fantasy fiction goes, but then again I am not a fantasy fan. So before I get a deluge of responses of people telling how great it really is, I thought it was a lame little feel-good fable that somehow ties into the Dark Tower series. Thats it.
That effectively puts it even further back on my reading list...

The best King I've read in years is his short story "Stationary Bike". I absolutely loved that one and I hope Duma Key can bring me the same sort of satisfaction.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
The Queen of Swords

If you kats want Stephen King, but "not your mother's Stephen King" try the Dark Tower series. It will blow your mind. It's kind of cool if you've read Salem's Lot and the Stand first, but not an absolute must. The series stands by itself perfectly.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Infection Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
If you kats want Stephen King, but "not your mother's Stephen King" try the Dark Tower series. It will blow your mind.
Yeah they are pretty good. I only got through wizard and glass, never got to finish the series. Its definitely worth giving a shot if you are in the mood for something different.

Quote:
It's kind of cool if you've read Salem's Lot and the Stand first, but not an absolute must. The series stands by itself perfectly.
Almost all his novels tie into the Dark Tower series in some way as well. That universe is sort of the lynchpin for most of King's works, most notably The Stand and Insomnia. Another king favorite of mine are the Bachman books and Desperation/The Regulators.