Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Midnight toker

A History of Horror- BBC4

Not sure if this is gonna be watchable for anyone outside the UK, but I figured I would share.

Quote:
Three-part series in which actor and writer Mark Gatiss (The League of Gentlemen, Doctor Who, Sherlock) celebrates the greatest achievements of horror cinema.
First episode focuses on the early years of horror in cinema, through to the 1940's. Just started watching it, but so far so good, well worth a watch. :cool:

1/3: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vcwm7
Old 10-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
Not sure if this is gonna be watchable for anyone outside the UK, but I figured I would share.

First episode focuses on the early years of horror in cinema, through to the 1940's. Just started watching it, but so far so good, well worth a watch. :cool:

1/3: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vcwm7
Damn, it does sound good.:( Maybe they'll show it on BBC America in time for Halloween.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Eye Catching

I only managed to catch the second part but really enjoyed it last night. I wish I had of noticed it was on to watch from the first part, is there a way of watching the first part on the net?

Brought up some good memories of horror films that have been shadowed by recent films I have been watching.

Another point it brought up is how scary the english countryside actually is. I mean yes horror films set in swamps and remote deserts etc are effective but the english country side is a great horror setting. Is it just because I have walked country lanes in the dark and fog, have lived in a isolated farm house and know the fear or does everyone get a chill when watching a scene set in the fog in the english countryside?

Loved that it was followed by Brides of Dracula also.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I only managed to catch the second part but really enjoyed it last night. I wish I had of noticed it was on to watch from the first part, is there a way of watching the first part on the net?

Brought up some good memories of horror films that have been shadowed by recent films I have been watching.

Another point it brought up is how scary the english countryside actually is. I mean yes horror films set in swamps and remote deserts etc are effective but the english country side is a great horror setting. Is it just because I have walked country lanes in the dark and fog, have lived in a isolated farm house and know the fear or does everyone get a chill when watching a scene set in the fog in the english countryside?

Loved that it was followed by Brides of Dracula also.
The link to the first episode is in my first post, definatley worth checking out.

As for your point about the English countryside being an ideal setting for horror, I don't think you need to look much further than An American Werewolf in London. The opening scene is amongst the best in the genre and I'd say the atmosphere generated by the location is pretty much universally appreciated.

Quality series and glad to see someone else enjoying it. It's a shame those outside the UK are missing out on this one though. Not enough horror related TV over here and unfortunatley this show has probably slipped under the radar of the average viewer anyway.