Old 01-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Quatermass

Anyone seen any of the old Quatermass films? Surprised they haven't been brought up.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Evil Dead

Re: Quatermass

Quote:
Originally posted by avenger00soul
Anyone seen any of the old Quatermass films? Surprised they haven't been brought up.

crikey avenger00 we must be on some cyber 'that-time-of-the-month' thing for male horror fans. ehhokay, but no, never seen them quatermasses BUT was looking through anchor bay's site today for a release set in the middle ages when people grow parts of satan on their bodies for him to be reconstituted upon his return to earth.. pagany, english, but typically hammer with a good bit of the ol' splatter. and in the forgotten review i read, there was some connection to that and the quatermass films, besides the fact they were originally hammers.. i think. sorry for messing up the thread with yet another long-winded ramble but would appreciate any help with that movie i was just blathering about.

quatermass good? astronauts return to earth and mutations occur? cheers
Old 01-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
"Cyber that time of the month thing." Haha.

Hmmm...can't say the film you're speaking of is ringing any bells, but damn it sure sounds awesome. And the Quatermass films are worth a look. Like you said "astronauts return to earth and mutations occur." That's pretty much the plot of the Quatermass Xperiment.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by avenger00soul
"Cyber that time of the month thing." Haha.

Hmmm...can't say the film you're speaking of is ringing any bells, but damn it sure sounds awesome. And the Quatermass films are worth a look. Like you said "astronauts return to earth and mutations occur." That's pretty much the plot of the Quatermass Xperiment.
okay i think i got it sorted, the guy who directed 'blood on satan's claw' (good review here: http://www.horror-wood.com/satans_claw.htm) is Piers Haggard who directed 'the quatermass conclusion,' seen that one? i'm not sure if 'claw' was a hammer after all though it is british and pagany (funny i musta had my hand on that wicker man that you rec'd in another thread a hundred times at movie stores in the past but never got it)
Old 01-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Cryptkeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by buddy
funny i musta had my hand on that wicker man that you rec'd in another thread a hundred times at movie stores in the past but never got it)
If you like bizarre horror/almost-musical films, get The Wicker Man. It's great.

Glad you figured it out.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Evil Dead

Blood on Satan's Claw is great. Lots of witches and crazy Satanic unibrows. There's a cool scene where a recently-possesed woman comes down the stairs with a creepy drugged-out half-smile. Maybe some sort of 60's hippie reference? There's a lot of rebellious youth cult action in the film.

My copy looks like a public domain release from Paragon Video, but it says the movie was made by Cannon Films. It does feel very Hammer/Amicus.

I just saw Quatermass and the Pit - good stuff, if a little slow at times. Will look for Quatermass Xperiment sometime.

I second Avenger's recommendation of the Wicker Man. I came home one night as a artifically-expanded-consciousness teenager and found it on the TV... what a mindblower. One of the most memorable endings ever. Legend has it that it's going to be remade. Bet they'll cast Freddie Prinze in the Christopher Lee role.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Cryptkeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by mictlan
Legend has it that it's going to be remade. Bet they'll cast Freddie Prinze in the Christopher Lee role.
I've also heard of, not one, but two remakes. A Nick Cage one and Robin Hardy is supposed to be remaking himself (he directed the original) as The Riding of the Laddie. Christopher Lee and Sean Astin are supposed to in Hardy's version. I hope to see that one, not the Cage version.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Evil Dead

Strange this is posted, because I just came back from Best Buy in an attempt to purchase the Quartermass double feature DVD released yesterday exclusively at Best Buy---and they were already sold out!!!! Only got in two copies!!!! But the disc looked cool (at least the pic I saw on their comp)--it's Anchor Bay, both movies, commentary, trailers, and it only costs 15 bucks. And I live an hour away from Best Buy!!!!!

Blood Ojn Satan's Claw is much cool. The Paragon video retains all the nudity, but there's a bootleg going around with more violence but NO nudity. Maybe someday we'll get an official, uncut DVD release. Great movie.

Wicker Man is groovy. And speaking of Brett Eckland movies, anyone ever see the original Get Carter? Great little crime movie.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Evil Dead

Blood On Satan's Claw isn't a Hammer, by the way.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Cryptkeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Kelvinstein
Strange this is posted, because I just came back from Best Buy in an attempt to purchase the Quartermass double feature DVD.

Wicker Man is groovy. And speaking of Brett Eckland movies, anyone ever see the original Get Carter? Great little crime movie.
Must be some real horror hoodoo going around today.

I had a big crush on Ekland after I saw The Wicker Man but haven't seen Get Carter.