Old 05-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Living Dead

I appreciate and actually enjoy classics.

I think the point being made here is "Do we pretend to like old classic films to get credibility?" No, I don't. I love THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and appreciate it. Some of the younger fans only need a little prep. Someone who has a knowledge of classic horror giving them hints of what to look for.With a little study, even someone who is very young can do way more then "appreciate" a classic.; they can truly enjoy it! It's important to put a classic in context. For example , the classics of the 50's were made during a time of paranoia about communism and the atom bomb. Many of these films had mutated monsters created by exposure to radioactivity. Many of these films also had people who looked like everybody else but were actually pod people. These films were examples of the paranoid McCarthy era. Someone could look like your best friend, but could actually be a communst spy! Putting these film in context can make watching them way more then an academic exercise. Context can make watching classics FUN! These films are not something that you should feel obligated to watch. They are time capsules of frights and flights of fancy.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Whale View Post
I think the point being made here is "Do we pretend to like old classic films to get credibility?" .

just to touch on this :

I am the 1st to admit (to a very harsh audience) that I do not love the old classics as much as other people do.

I appreciate them
I dont mind them
I aknowledge their place in cinema history
I know they are very beautiful and atmospheric ..

but they dont speak to me as much as you'd think they would - especially me being an older guy. (i saw them before anything else)

to me the old universal horrors were atmospheric - definately - but that was their main strength.

i dont think the acting was as satrong in general. the music didnt grab me, the pacing was oft times too slow - even for me.

i love stylish films, but i like to forget i'm watching a film when i'm watching a film..

movies like Session 9, the Others, Hardware, Ju-On, Phantasm, etc ... have the ability to suck me in far more than the old classics.

Like anything, i believe there are people who truely like them, i also believe there are some people who say they do for the credibility - whatever - thats human nature.

we each have our own concious or subconcious criteria for what films grab us.
I won't pretend to understand it .. and i wont deny it.

i likes what i likes ...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Darryl Mathe

Question: Why did Blair Witch rip off Cannibal Holocaust and get away with it?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Question: Why did Blair Witch rip off Cannibal Holocaust and get away with it?
No sure what that has to do with any thing but I kinda think BW ripped off THE LAST BROADCAST more.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:38 AM
Misanthrope

Halloween II is a dope flick. Heathen motherfuckers! :D

I'm down with what Urge said too... my "classics" are different than the classic era of horror.

The Blair Witch didn't rip off Cannibal Holocaust it's part of the same subgenre and uses the standard conventions of it to tell it's story.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM
HDC Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Halloween II is a dope flick. Heathen motherfuckers! :D

I'm down with what Urge said too... my "classics" are different than the classic era of horror.

The Blair Witch didn't rip off Cannibal Holocaust it's part of the same subgenre and uses the standard conventions of it to tell it's story.
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto
Old 06-12-2008, 11:04 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

I liked Hallyween II, too.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Infection Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Classic horror, as defined in the forum title is horror films from the 1960s and before, so regardless of whether you regard crap sequels from the 80s or 90s as "classics" they are not from the classic era.
Thats a pretty rigid way to describe "classic". A classic should be any movie that had an effect on how later movies were made. Just because movies like Halloween and Alien aren't in black and white, doesn't take away the impact it had on later horror films.

I just think for the purpose of this thread, this is the definition we are using.

Quote:
And though I'm a fan of Cronenberg the original Fly is so much better than his confused remake it's laughable.
The original Fly was alright but come on, Cronenberg's remake was a completely different style of movie and had completely different meaning.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Cranky

This is the classic horror forum. If you want to discuss bad modern horror movies, go to the modern horror forum.

How much simpler can it get?

I didn't define modern & classic eras that way- that's the accepted genre breakdown industrywide.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 06-14-2008, 11:41 AM
whatever gets you through

Daughter of Dracula - oh my was that awful!