Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Viking Style

I also agree with this, and I get tired of that cue being taken. Too often now you have disheveled schoolgirls having a seizure in horror movies. Evil Dead had it, it's starting to lose its appeal.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Evil Dead

im tired of unworthy remakes of classic films!!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Little Boo

Remakes...
Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Evil Dead

I see remakes like I do cover versions in music ... some are great, some are lousy. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Barker's going to do with Hellraiser.

Me, I'm tired of superlatives in marketing ... "This is the most frightening/shocking/unexpected/scary/disturbing/ etc etc blah f'ing blah movie you will ever see!"

Last edited by Sicknero; 10-29-2013 at 04:24 AM. Reason: typo!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Evil Dead

Once in a blue moon a remake can surpass the original. Some examples in horror:
The Blob, The Fly, The Thing, Dracula, Piranha. But, of course, there are about a dozen failures for every success.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:00 AM
Evil Dead

I don't mind remakes, some of them are good, and some even better than the originals... what I have a problem with is that almost every single horror movie these days is a remake.

But, to be fair, it's getting pretty hard to come up with a completely original story line. The horror universe has pretty much been explored in any thinkable way, and so any attempt of making an original horror movie will be met with complaints about how it's ripping off the Exorcist or how it's a weak immitation of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre... and definitely the usual "in the OLD days, they knew how make REAL horror movies!". So what do they do instead? They remake the old classics, since there is no competing with them anyway. Us horror fans are hard critics, and maybe in a way, we're actually getting what we asked for.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 PM
The Undead

I'm tired of Haunted House movies in modern horror. It's been done waaaaay to many times since like 2005. Good slashers are basiclly gone by now. I can't name one slasher that I consider a modern day classic since like 2009.

Also as many have said CGI
Old 10-29-2013, 03:33 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicknero View Post
I see remakes like I do cover versions in music ... some a great, some are lousy. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Barker's going to do with Hellraiser.
Good metaphor. Totally agree.

As for me, I'm a little burned out on the zombie genre.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Evil Dead

Music ... sure there's some fantastic music in horror movies and it often adds a lot to a film, but I've seen a couple of movies lately where the impact of some potentially nasty and disturbing sequences has been ruined by OTT music and sfx.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFext View Post
I'm tired of Haunted House movies in modern horror. It's been done waaaaay to many times since like 2005. Good slashers are basiclly gone by now. I can't name one slasher that I consider a modern day classic since like 2009.

Also as many have said CGI
While I agree that Haunted Houses have been played out, I think the problem isn't so much the location, but more of the fact that people think the location is enough to carry an entire film and make it scary.

So many movies think placing a horror story in a quintessentially scary location is enough to make a horror film, but often the place becomes the only thing scary about it. When place/atmosphere is used right, a movie can really scare the shit out of me.

I guess i'd like to see more well-thought out location-horror as opposed to the shitty ones we've been getting for the past decade.