Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Evil Dead

If androids exist...

...or, well, if they become far more advanced/self aware...

Do you think that they will yknow, consider us barbaric animals?

I mean think about it...since the 60's, we've (in gaming) been creating one "life" after another, one form of AI or another, simply to die at our hands...for "fun" for "sport"?

I know I wouldn't be happy upon the realisation that something like my "ancestors" had been subject to this treatment...

I think they'll be mad.

Just a ponderance - thoughts?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 AM
Fear scented candle

The "life's" in the games arent actual life, or even sentient, though. A smart android would understand.

I have wondered if the laws would change when we eventually develope AI in gamesthat could possibly be self aware, like the "programs" in the matrix (and as cool as they are, the wachowski's dont know shit about computers or programs....), would "killing" them or deleting them be murder?

I imagine killing them in the game would be like killing someone in a movie, a "special effect" they would really be "dead", per se. But deleting or corrupting their files on purpose would be on par with murder 1
Old 11-10-2008, 05:14 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
The "life's" in the games arent actual life, or even sentient, though. A smart android would understand.
But...are you sure something that's a derivative/advancement of this kind of thing, would draw the same line that you do?
We could argue the same about the 'droids themselves...and yknow, that'd just make them madder...
Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

i cant imagine AI becoming completely self aware ... i think there are/will be limitations - either imposed or natural.

i cant see the intelligence - no matter how great - being based on anything other than pure logic - no matter how advanced. no emotions.

(thus - no possibility of being mad, happy,,,,, anything at all)
Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Fear scented candle

They will at least try to make self aware AI with emotions. You have to understand with scientists and programmers: if it can be though of, someone is going to try to, even if for no other reason to have egg-head proof that it can happen.

That being said, sci-fi wirters are typically not, on any level, students of the science they write about. The matrix, terminator, and even I Robot were all written by people with no workign knowledge of programming and what goes into programming.

Constraints are a very basic part of any program, and are not only easy to implement, they are one o fthe fundamental building blocks of any programming language. Although it is possible to write programs that replicate and mutate (a LOT of viruses do this), the "Self aware, reprogramming istelf" program that seems to be the staple in these stories just isnt possible, unless someone designed it to do so.

Basically for any of those scenarios to work, you would need someone who was a brillaint, completely immoral, psychotic, or clueless programmer.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
Basically for any of those scenarios to work, you would need someone who was a brillaint, completely immoral, psychotic, or clueless programmer.
so how's the progress so far ? :)
Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
so how's the progress so far ? :)
Not good.

Everythign I write so far falls in love with the words "fart" and "doo-doo" and seem to think Gallagher and Carrot Top are funny.

I've had to kill every last one of them/
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
I've had to kill every last one of them/

holy shit - good thing you didnt have a son (you basically described my kid)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
holy shit - good thing you didnt have a son (you basically described my kid)
He likes Gallagher and Carrot Top?

I would highly consider starting over. ;)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
He likes Gallagher and Carrot Top?

I would highly consider starting over. ;)
he hasnt seen them but i'm sure he'd think they are hilarious ... i caught him reading - and LAUGHING - at Garfield comics .... yikes.

i have to admit - i think gallager is funny as hell