Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Any progress?
Yes. Right now.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tales+of+japan
Old 11-11-2014, 02:09 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Back to back Turkish Double Bill: Dabbe 3 & 4

Being raised in a quite liberal Muslim community, the mythology of Jinns always fascinated me as I think there are many, challenging ways that a writer or a filmmaker can explore it interestingly. So I have been always eager to see films based on this strange & incredible mythology but after recently watching Jinn (2014) & Djinn (2013), I was pretty disappointed by both of them. Then lately, in a facebook group (created by some local movie lovers here) I found this recommendations of Dabbe series, a popular franchise from Turkey. The central theme of this whole series is about the Jinns & mostly their evil doings in our human world. So far there are 5 parts came out (2006-2014) & all made by Hasan Karacadag...an ardent 'Jinn-lover', Turkish director. Among the 5 parts, I've seen only the 1st part before and which was a pretty decent (& far better than American remake) adaptation of 2001 J-Horror masterpiece Kairo aka Pulse. What Mr. Hasan did there was he took the idea of 'ghosts' invading the world of the living via the Internet and then merging it with the doomsday aspect of their regional Jinn mythology...in D@bbe (2006), Jinns are invading our world via www(!) and it was all quite entertaining & creepy.

Anyway, though the 2nd part is available on youtube but without the English subs and I tried hard but couldn't find any English subs yet for Dabbe 2. That's why I followed the recommendation, downloaded & watched the later 2 available parts (Dabbe 3 & 4) with English subs.

Btw, the films aren't interconnected or not related with each other...each one offers their own, separate story just with a common theme of evil jinns.

Dabbe: Bir Cin Vakası aka Dabbe: A case of Djinn

Though they have put several of its own elements into the plot but this 3rd installment in the series is actually a decently done Paranormal Activity rip-off!

>>: B-

Dabbe: Cin Çarpmasi aka Dabbe: The Curse of the JINN (2013)

This is the best one! This 4th installment also filmed in found footage format but this time it comes with a more original, engaging and a better story. Unlike its former part, this time the setting is on a rural area of Turkish countryside which worked quite nicely with the plot line & to some extent, this sort of setting is actually more perfect for a more traditional & culturally rooted Jinn story like this time it offers. Moreover, as a foreign viewer this time you can also get the chance to look & have some idea about few areas of beautiful Turkish culture & their simple, friendly as well as changing lifestyle for a Muslim community. Though the length is more than 2 hour long but its got a good pace, characters & creepy set pieces from start to finish.

I enjoyed it & so recommending this to the found footage movie lovers.

>>: A-

The part 5 (Dabbe 5: Zehr-i Cin aka Dabbe: The Jinn's Poison) released in Turkey this September and hasn't yet released on dvd or become available with English subs.

Last edited by roshiq; 11-11-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:08 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Semum (2008)

>>: C+
Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 AM
Pirate of Bengal

El Cin (2013)

Another Hasan Karacadag's Jinn flick. Quite spooky at times but needed a better plot.

>>: B-
Old 11-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Occult (2009)

>>: C+
Old 12-01-2014, 05:09 AM
Evil Dead

A Tale of Two Sisters

I'll give this one more of a proper review here.

This movie almost requires a second viewing to see how good it really. The first time I watched this film, I was confused and lost, but I rewatched it, and the movie made more sense, and I saw how great it really was. It's not really a horror movie; it's more of a drama with some horror slipped in there. I was expecting more of a straight-up horror movie when I first watched it, which may be why I was slightly disappointed, but go into the movie expecting a more dramatic film, and you'll love it. The end twist definitely caught me by surprise too.

8/10
Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 AM
No, fuck YOU

Thumb resize.

"Ju-on: The Beginning of the End" 6/10

A new Ju-on made by the director of "Shutter". FUCK YEAH, right?!!

Wrong. This is the director behind the God awful american remake of Shutter. And for some odd reason this Ju-on centers around the hauntings of meow-boy, coz apparently the director thinks he is the scariest part about this franchise. He's not. He's painfully unscary, even when he kills people in all kinds of creative ways (and some less creative) he's still not scary. What a bad idea. And besides that i'm pretty sure ghostboy has grown since the first movie. How the hell is that possible?!!!

Oh well, even tho this is by far the worst movie in my favorite franchise it does contain its share of fun horror parts altho this story has nothing new to tell whatsoever. We've already seen the same story in the first 2 ju-ons. Only the kills are new. But not even all of them. Masayuki Ochiai, you remake freak.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post

"Ju-on: The Beginning of the End" 6/10

A new Ju-on made by the director of "Shutter". FUCK YEAH, right?!!

Wrong. This is the director behind the God awful american remake of Shutter. And for some odd reason this Ju-on centers around the hauntings of meow-boy, coz apparently the director thinks he is the scariest part about this franchise. He's not. He's painfully unscary, even when he kills people in all kinds of creative ways (and some less creative) he's still not scary. What a bad idea. And besides that i'm pretty sure ghostboy has grown since the first movie. How the hell is that possible?!!!

Oh well, even tho this is by far the worst movie in my favorite franchise it does contain its share of fun horror parts altho this story has nothing new to tell whatsoever. We've already seen the same story in the first 2 ju-ons. Only the kills are new. But not even all of them. Masayuki Ochiai, you remake freak.
Damn! I had (not high but) good hopes for it.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:17 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Damn! I had (not high but) good hopes for it.
Hey, it's not the worst asian horror movie you will ever see. You'll probably find it mediocre or rank it C.