Old 06-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Evil Dead

Drag Me to Hell!

How is there no thread about this yet? Or am I looking in the wrong places....
Raimi finally returns to form and nothing? It deserves it's own thread, 100%.

Reviews are all accurate as far as I am concerned. I have not had as much fun at a movie in a LONG time. It's scary, funny, clever, gross, and the sound department really outdid themselves.

Imagine Evil Dead 2 era Sam Raimi, with the matureness of doing everything else he has ever done and with a budget....that's Drag Me to Hell and for someone who often balks at spending 10 bucks on a movie, it absolutely has to be seen in a theater with a big crowd laughing and throwing popcorn around.

Check it out!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
I posted about it in the Last Seen Movie thread. I agree whole heartedly. I explained it as Evil Dead II meets the modern-ness of Spider Man.

They did a lot of clever things with the sound too. I was so scared at some points, simply because the loud screeching of the iron gate made it impossible for me to think. What person seeing a horror movie for the first time doesn't try desperately to figure out what is going on, and where things are coming from? Well I was attempting to do that, and then that sound made it so hard to comprehend what was going to happen so I nearly had a panic attack, and was covering my ears like a little kid.

The audience reactions were a must too. I was in a theatre that was barely a quarter full (because, I assume, everyone was seeing UP) but you could still hear people squirming at some of the grosser things and laughing at a few of the better done one liners. I even heard some of the people dicsussing the significance of the movie, and the similarities to Evil Dead. It was such a good time. Fun is a word that has been overused when reviewing Drag Me To Hell, but it's the most appropriate word I can think of.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
BURR!

Absolutely wonderful. I was screaming the whole time... And so was everyone else.

First day purchase for me.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Misanthrope

Can't wait to check this one out! Glad to hear its a decent watch.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Evil Dead

Wow, I thought this would be liquid diahhrea due to the PG-13 rating slapped on it.

Looks like I'm wrong on that, and will haveta check this one out. I was excited to see another Raimi horror film, but when I heard that it wasn't R-rated, I lost interest.

Hm, thanks for the reviews all, will make a point to see this now.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Tenant

I think I'm the only one here who isn't in love with this movie. I thought it was good, but only that; it was good with its humor, its scares, its gore, its story- but it didn't excel in any of those things, and consequently I was left with no lasting impressions.

The Evil Dead was so good because it was a sick joke for adults. This seemed to cater more to a younger Spider-man crowd; I was surrounded by 12 year olds who appeared to be out on first "dates" and who all had a ball. To them it was the scariest and craziest thing they'd ever seen; to me, it was horror-lite, and a bit of a compromise.

I'm not saying I hated the film, but for the sake of turning this from an ass-kissing thread into a good debate, I thought I'd share my opinions.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Evil Dead

I have yet to see this film (going to a showing this Friday...) but just to chime in with my thoughts... The reason, at least in my opinion, that it is getting such praise (more on the critic-side of things) is likely due to it's social relevance, and the messages about economy weaved throughout.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Can't wait to check this one out! Glad to hear its a decent watch.
I freakin hate having to wait a month or two for everything to hit theaters here!
cant wait for this one either.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to dewaholic
Ohhh I will definitely see it now. Before reading this thread, I thought that the commercials showed the best parts since the movie's only pg 13. I thought "How scary can a pg 13 movie be?" But I'll give it a chance, when it comes on cable.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
I think I'm the only one here who isn't in love with this movie. I thought it was good, but only that; it was good with its humor, its scares, its gore, its story- but it didn't excel in any of those things, and consequently I was left with no lasting impressions.

The Evil Dead was so good because it was a sick joke for adults. This seemed to cater more to a younger Spider-man crowd; I was surrounded by 12 year olds who appeared to be out on first "dates" and who all had a ball. To them it was the scariest and craziest thing they'd ever seen; to me, it was horror-lite, and a bit of a compromise.

I'm not saying I hated the film, but for the sake of turning this from an ass-kissing thread into a good debate, I thought I'd share my opinions.
I'm curious as to what horror films you have been watching recently in the theaters. There have been some ok horror flicks in the past, oh, five years but with the exception of Grindhouse none have provided the thrill that Drag Me has. Bloody Valentine 3D, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Last House on the Left... some ok remakes in the bunch but they didn't even approach this film. Raimi combined horror and humor effortlessly once again and the anxiety he created in some scenes was beautiful. I loved it, I guess I could see somebody who needs gore to complete their horror experience being disappointed but the themes involved and execution of the story was anything but "lite". I love how a lot of members here said Evil Dead could have only gotten a PG-13 rating if it was released today but a lot of the same people complain about a horror flick with a PG-13 rating. You don't need to have a graphic film to be able to build tension and get scares, I'm glad Raimi sees that. I firmly believe that if he felt his film needed an R rating to be effective he would have pushed it further but it simply didn't need the push. There's still plenty of gross moments too :) .

Tags
drag me to hell