Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-11-2022, 04:44 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
I love this movie!
Ticks all my boxes as well!
Old 03-13-2022, 01:02 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
Ticks all my boxes as well!
Mine as well.

THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT (1977). >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Based on the popular novel by Sidney Sheldon, 20th Century Fox spent a fortune on this (almost three hours, exotic locales) convinced it would do big business. The only proviso they offered theaters was the theaters had to exhibit simeltaneously another Fox film which was costing a lot more money to make than a cheap Sci-Fi film should have been. A cheap SF film called STAR WARS...

TOSOM certainly looks good, but such a campy mess of a film. Innocent Noelle meets a American Flyer working for the Canadian Air Force in pre WW2 Paris-John Beck is SO smarmy; You'd wash Your hands before and after meeting him -gets impregnated and abandoned by him. After "fixing" the problem, She becomes a famous film star and the mistress of a wealthy Greek Tycoon (all I could think of was Aristotle Onassis ).
At the same time, Beck meets somewhat giddy Susan Sarandon (looking very adorable) and marries her using the same come on lines He used on Noelle. After WW2 ends, Beck has trouble keeping a job until He's hired by Noelle to be her personal pilot where She treats him with utter disdain. Of course, the old attraction picks up and the rest of the film reveals how they remove any obstacles.

A mess, like I said, but I found this entertaining and while it's bad, it's still worth a watch. Marie -France Pisier is OK as Noelle, but She doesn't have the charisma to carry along the whole story, even with the frequent nudity (Alas, She is just a little too slim for my morbid tastes). As Noelle rises in the world, she reminds Me a lot of Joan Collins and actually, I think JC could have carried this quite well. Even other reviews of the film have mentioned this. ***
Old 03-13-2022, 09:07 AM
ventricle

Phantasm II (1988)
6.5/10

My first time seeing it. It was fun. Got to see it with a buddy who's familiar with the original. I laughed lots of times. Had some fun scenes with practical effects and melee fighting.

We were surprised it was made as late as 1988. I think I got the TV ads for the original mixed up with the sequel.

Compared to the original, it's much slower at the beginning and a much weaker narrative. Very disappointing that it didn't add anything to the lore of the original. We don't get to know the characters, as characterization is almost non-existent, and they aren't particularly strong exuding characters and actors. So it's really just a string of fairly fun scenes.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-13-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:55 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
When a stranger calls
Old 03-16-2022, 05:10 PM
病気の

Frightmare, 1974. 9/10

Director: Pete Walker

Old 03-19-2022, 10:50 AM
Scares Little Kids

The Hills have Eyes (1977)

7/10

"The lucky ones died first" creates false expectations... especially as the first victim burned to death wtf...
Old 03-19-2022, 07:41 PM
病気の

Damien: Omen II, 1978. 8/10

Directors: Don Taylor, Mike Hodges

Old 03-20-2022, 12:00 AM
Evil Dead

REFLECTION OF FEAR (1972). Strange unsettling film, with an almost REPULSION-ish atmosphere throughout, but seriously stymied by a plot twist towards the finale that somewhat invalidates many of the themes brought up. The same plot twist was used in a 80's franchise- sorry, but I'm not telling which franchise it is. Good cast with Sondra Locke (creepy here), Robert Shaw (JAWS), Mary Ure (WHERE EAGLES DARE and Mrs Shaw), Mitchell Ryan and Sally Kellerman , the last two passing just a few weeks ago. **1/2
Old 03-21-2022, 10:42 AM
Little Boo

Profondo Rosso/Deep Red (1975)

I am big fan of Dario Argento. I was surprised that in looking at his entire filmography somehow I skipped Profondo Rosso. And it turned out that I served myself the director's greatest work for dessert. Like Suspiria, this is the film that lands in my top horror movies of all time
Old 03-22-2022, 12:41 PM
病気の

The Exorcist, 1973. 10/10

Director: William Friedkin