Old 06-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Evil Dead

misconception

When I read the name of the thread, "They look like people", I figured it would be something along the lines of They Live. I can't think of movies about doppelgangers (evil duplicates of specific people), without thinking of that Stephen Wright joke: "I woke up this morning and discovered that everything in my apartment had been stolen, and replaced by an exact duplicate."

A kind of story that really scares my friend Don is one where your identity is threatened, like the twilight zone episode where a guy wakes up next to a woman who claims to be his wife, and all the people insist he is somebody he isn't. Then there's the plot where a guy goes to his regular place of employment and nobody recognizes him.

Then there's the movies where a guy wakes up from a nightmare, and finds out that he is still in the nightmare, like Seizure.

One of my favorite episodes of The Prisoner (the original) is the one where Number Two tries to convince Number Six that he is not the real Number Six. Gee, this is getting kind of like Total Recall.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
When I read the name of the thread, "They look like people", I figured it would be something along the lines of They Live. I can't think of movies about doppelgangers (evil duplicates of specific people), without thinking of that Stephen Wright joke: "I woke up this morning and discovered that everything in my apartment had been stolen, and replaced by an exact duplicate."

A kind of story that really scares my friend Don is one where your identity is threatened, like the twilight zone episode where a guy wakes up next to a woman who claims to be his wife, and all the people insist he is somebody he isn't. Then there's the plot where a guy goes to his regular place of employment and nobody recognizes him.

Then there's the movies where a guy wakes up from a nightmare, and finds out that he is still in the nightmare, like Seizure.

One of my favorite episodes of The Prisoner (the original) is the one where Number Two tries to convince Number Six that he is not the real Number Six. Gee, this is getting kind of like Total Recall.
So what did you think of "They look like people"?

This was my review:

Quote:
They Look Like People (2015)
6.5/10

"Suspecting that people around him are turning into evil creatures, a troubled man questions whether to protect his only friend from an impending war, or from himself."

The film seems more technique than story. On the good side, I think the film cinematography and shot direction is very effective in creating mood, creepiness and suspense, and best of all relays the "possible psychological condition" as well as any film I've seen. The main issue I have with the film is we don't get to know the main characters very well, and I think it feels like it's missing. The dramatization often comes across like mumblecore (a natural performance technique I like, and like here), however it generally stays there, and I'm not sure this was a cinema verite story, or film... I don't think it entirely works.

As we must wait till end before we can decide if it's a horror, science fiction or psychological thriller film, we must admit it, then, that it can't really be any of the above... surely it's a mystery in disguise.