Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
Halloween is personally one of my favorites but it was not the first of the slashers, that title goes to Black Christmas. Of course that could be argued as well as there were some forerunners in Thirteen Women, Peeping Tom, Psycho, Dementia 13, Blood Feast, and many of the Italian Giallo films. Silent Night, Bloody Night and Savage Weekend also came before Halloween. What Halloween had over these others was the huge box office success which is the reason that so many slasher films were made.
I never said that Halloween (1978) was the first slasher, merely the one that sparked the Slasher Age. Additionally, many later slashers were specifically modeled after Halloween (1978) because of its tremendous commercial success. Traditionally, Black Christmas (1974) is regarded as the first slasher, although films such as Psycho (1960) and Peeping Tom (1960) had tremendous influence on the genre. Bloodfeast (1963) raised the amount of gore that was tolerable in a film, along with such films as The Night of the Living Dead (1968) (i'm sure that giallo films had a simliar effect). Silent Night, Bloody Night might have been a slasher, though not particularly influential. Why Halloween (1978) was the one that sparked it is a matter of debate.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
My vote goes to David Cronenberg's The Fly.
That was a really good remake, definitely high on my list. I really enjoy Cronenberg's work, in general.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
I never said that Halloween (1978) was the first slasher, merely the one that sparked the Slasher Age. Additionally, many later slashers were specifically modeled after Halloween (1978) because of its tremendous commercial success. Traditionally, Black Christmas (1974) is regarded as the first slasher, although films such as Psycho (1960) and Peeping Tom (1960) had tremendous influence on the genre. Bloodfeast (1963) raised the amount of gore that was tolerable in a film, along with such films as The Night of the Living Dead (1968) (i'm sure that giallo films had a simliar effect). Silent Night, Bloody Night might have been a slasher, though not particularly influential. Why Halloween (1978) was the one that sparked it is a matter of debate.
I didn't say you did, lol, I never even implied it. I was just giving a little horror history is all.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your statement.

Last edited by metternich1815; 03-28-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Evil is Better

I hate remakes but i guess i would have to say The Crazies. I hated the original and actually really liked the remake

Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Evil Puppy

Couldn't pick my favorite between The Fly and The Thing but they're the top two, I also dug the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Night of the Living Dead (Savini's), and The Blob remakes.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Banned

Most of the "remakes" have been more re-imaginings.......The Thing and The Fly ...two mentioned...both great re-imaginings ...the only true "remake" I can think of is the 1998 Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho....and that kinda sucked.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Sometimes dead is better

I consider reimaginings to be a type of remake. These are the four types of remakes: reimaginings (such as The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, and Thirteen Ghosts remakes), modernization (such as Black Christmas, The Fog, and Psycho remakes), encapsulations (such as Friday the 13th, Halloween, and A Nightmare on Elm Street remakes), and foreign horror for U.S. audiences (such as The Ring and the Grudge). My source is the book Horror Movie Freak. Even if you don't agree with the book, I think these are good classifications for horror movie remakes. As for the Psycho remake, it was perhaps the worst horror movie remake in horror movie history.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
I consider reimaginings to be a type of remake. These are the four types of remakes: reimaginings (such as The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, and Thirteen Ghosts remakes), modernization (such as Black Christmas, The Fog, and Psycho remakes), encapsulations (such as Friday the 13th, Halloween, and A Nightmare on Elm Street remakes), and foreign horror for U.S. audiences (such as The Ring and the Grudge). My source is the book Horror Movie Freak. Even if you don't agree with the book, I think these are good classifications for horror movie remakes. As for the Psycho remake, it was perhaps the worst horror movie remake in horror movie history.
while I agree the Psycho remake was pretty bad....The Fog re-whatever was terrible
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Sometimes dead is better

I haven't seen it yet, but when (if) I do I might agree from just the little I have seen. Plus, the original Fog movie was brilliant. But, the Psycho remake will always be very high on my hate list of horror movie remakes.

Last edited by metternich1815; 03-28-2013 at 07:25 PM.