Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 AM
For Vendetta

HDC Looks Back...

I have been reading up some online articles from people remembering fondly about their favorite films from the past, and how those made them nostalgic.

Example - http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/9571...ing_story.html

And I thought of this idea.

Since these forums were first made (back in 2003 I reckon), we have had countless members tell us about their favorite horror films.

Top 10 lists followed, then came the Top 100 Stickys, "Recommends" threads, etc.

We have had dozens of lists and similar stuff, but we never had a particular thread in which members remembered back to their favorite horror films and why they liked them, specially when they watched them for the very first time (either at home on VHS, LD, DVD, or at theaters and drive-ins).

The idea is simple. Someone names a popular horror film from yesteryears, and others will reminiscence of the very first time they watched it, and the feeling/thoughts/memories it left with them, cultural impact in their prime, and why they feel that it is still a favorite, or not, and their likes/dislikes for the same.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
For Vendetta

1) Do you remember when you first watched it?

2) Did you get any feedback (from friends or media) prior to watching it?

3) How was the viewing experience? How did it affect you?

4) How many times have you rewatched it? Memories? Does it still hold good even today for you?

5) Anything else you wish to share.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
No, fuck YOU

1) No, not really. 10 years ago maybe.

2) Nope.

3) Didn't do shit for me.

4) 1 time. It's still just a plain slasher with the mask being the only thing to remember.

5) Overrated. Or outdone might be a better choice of word.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
When I was very young. Probably a bit older than the kids attended by Laurie in the movie. Which was a really bad idea...

Quote:
Not really. Horror movies were kind of hush hush back then. I would pick up on names like Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th. They were all off limits to normal viewing. Kind of like Playboy or something of that nature. If you were able to somehow stay up late at night and watch a cut version, which was still scary to a young viewer, it was like finding treasure.

Quote:
Very scary. So scary that I wish that I did not watch the movie. The pretty babysitter, small middle of America town that is unaffected by big city crime, cute girls joking around, and the playful holiday. All that is ruined by the coming of the unstoppable boogeyman. All you are left with at the end is the music and breathing which scared me to death. I'm pretty sure when that scene started I turned the TV off as fast as possible (no remote back then either) and hid under the sheets.

Quote:
4) How many times have you rewatched it? Memories? Does it still hold good even today for you?
Still the perfect horror film. I've watched it a ton of times. It never should have been remade. It's still scary but not as much. But that's normal. You get used to things the more times you watch or do something.

Quote:
Anyone who hasn't watched this film should totally check it out.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Evil is Better

1. Can't really remember. But young enough that horror movies still scared me.

2. No

3. Of everything i remember the opening scene sticking with me the most. For some reason that really freaked me out.

4. Too many times to count. I still watch it every Halloween. I find new reasons to love it every time i watch it.

5. When i watch it, it seems so simple to me but so well done and generally scary at the same time. It is definitely a movie every horror fan needs to see.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 PM
mostly ghostly?

I love this idea, V.

Yes, very well. I had some friends staying over for my birthday party; I must have been either 8 or 9. My parents had it on VHS, and I they let us watch it (which was huge for me, because they had always been kind of strict when it came to what I watched). We all sat around the TV with popcorn and root beer, totally enthralled.

Not really, or at least nothing beyond just being aware of its presence in pop-culture.

Yes, it was thrilling. The cassette stayed in my room after that.

Of course. I've seen it countless times, and it never loses its strength.

Not sure. So many people have surely had a similar experience with this film. There's a reason it's gone down as a canonical horror touchstone.

Last edited by fortunato; 01-08-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
3) Didn't do shit for me.
4) 1 time. It's still just a plain slasher with the mask being the only thing to remember.
5) Overrated. Or outdone might be a better choice of word.
Vikings are clearly not bothered by Michael Myers. :D

-----

About 20 years ago, on VHS. I was a young and hungry horror fan and Halloween was eluding me for quite some time. In fact, I watched Friday the 13th before it and thought that was the first slasher for awhile! But I finally got my hands on a copy and wow... the charm of the grainy and sharp picture quality of VHS, and Carpenter's masterpiece!

None. I had read someplace that there was a film called Halloween and it was supposed to be a really scary slasher, and I was in love with slashers at that time!

Right from the opening credits (with that fantastic score) to the finale, it was an experience worth remembering. The town, the people, Michael's childhood, the stalking, the festival of Halloween, Donald Pleasance, PJ Soles and Jamie Lee. And that background score by Carpenter! Can't have enough of it. The scene of Michael getting up behind Laurie's vision is enough to give anyone alarming goose pimples, and I was no exception. A masterpiece indeed.

Many times. The second time, me and my friends decided to have a VHS party (of only slashers). We picked 3 films (don't exactly remember the other two, maybe it was The Burning and A Nightmare on Elm Street) on a holiday weekend and had a real blast! After that, maybe 2-3 more times on VHS before a long period of lull till I bought the DVD. Plenty of times since then. Watched it with my wife not too long ago and she was scared stiff. Glad to say it still holds it's own, and has aged pretty gracefully.

I didn't know anything about Halloween until about 7-8 years ago. Till then it was just another successful slasher film for me. The facts that Carpenter made it on a budget, it became everyone's favorite cult classic in a short time, and people watch it on Halloween, Michael Myers' popularity, the "Boogeyman" tag, all this was revealed to me when I did research on the film. I am glad to say that Halloween will always be the ultimate milestone in slashers - not many makers today can boast of making any film/short anywhere near or close to this film. No wonder Carpenter is a god amongst horror fans the world over.

And of course, why William Shatner's mask will always be a very sought-after collectible.

*tips hat*

Last edited by _____V_____; 01-08-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Synthetic Flesh

1) I must have first seen Halloween when I was quite young - I remember that it was on TV, and an edited for TV version. I am guessing around 10-12?

2) I had heard that it was a scary film :D

3) I remember finding it quite scary but not the most scary film I had seen to date.

4) I soon after got to see it on VHS in its full form, which I found no more scary than the edited-for-TV version. I have since watched it once or twice more (on DVD).

5) I do think it is a step up on most of the slashers, and I do like the way it portrays the female lead as strong and intelligent, as opposed to a lot of slashers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Evil Dead

A few years ago after I'd recorded it off the TV.

I was already well aware of it and knew some things about it as well as it's reputation.

It was an entertaining film and I enjoyed it, although it's still not one of my favourites.

A couple of times. It's alright to watch every now and then.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
I love this idea, V.
Thanks, buddy. Glad you approve! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManchestrMorgue View Post
1) I must have first seen Halloween when I was quite young - I remember that it was on TV, and an edited for TV version. I am guessing around 10-12?

4) I soon after got to see it on VHS in its full form, which I found no more scary than the edited-for-TV version.
What all did the edited-for-TV version skip on, MM? How short was it from the original unrated version?