Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games

Old 03-04-2020, 02:31 PM
Evil Dead

Thumbs down Why I think the Resident Evil series, is dying...

Shinji Mikami's 2002 remake is probably the best game of the entire franchise, as well as the survival horror genre as a whole. Unfortunately, RE4 disregarded the horror tone and plot, for a story that was silly and also way too action oriented. Ever since then, the series has went and ended up really lame, with practically every game that comes out not meeting expectations. So Aunt Rhody needs to be informed. Go tell her, that Capcom is not doing so well.

In recent years, Capcom has made so many bad choices, like releasing the same games remastered and then allowing third party developers to soil the RE name with really awful spin off titles. Over and over again, Capcom goes back to the year 1998. Isn't it time to move on past all of that, somewhat?

I also think that creatively, they're stuck on what to do next when it comes to sequels. Their recent remakes are just soulless. Jill looks stupid now. Leon looks too cute. They repeat boss fights. They're missing out classic enemies like the crows, spiders and so much more. Just what the hell is going on here, people? Also, Chris Redfield now looks like he's 25 again, and he now works for Umbrella, who are supposed to be the good guys in their present form. Like Chris would even ever want to touch that name. Huh?

Old 03-09-2020, 09:21 PM
Immortal horror fan

I wouldn't say it's dying. And I think financially they are doing well. But creatively like many series it went off the rails. It probably happened some time around Resident Evil Code Veronica. Which is a really good game. And Resident Evil 4 which is perhaps one of the best games ever and inspired many modern games but not the best Resident Evil style game. And it is a side story instead of continuing from where Resident Evil Code Veronica left off. The first section of Resident Evil 4 and some of the second section is good survival horror for the most part. But that mid second to most of the third is just about pure action.

I've only seen one of the fill in CGI movies so far. But I know the series has many bad entries and side games. I still want to play the 3DS remastered version. I tried the demo and thought no I'll play this on a real console and not fight or get used to the awkward controls. Besides the sequel is on consoles.

But with all that, of course Capcom will go back and remake what works. Yet Part 2 and 3 is something they should have remade after the first remake. Which is classic and one of the best games ever. Now they are playing the update for a larger and a bit different audience. I read that they probably won't remake Code Veronica. But the next main entry to the series will tell if Resident Evil is going anywhere interesting.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:23 AM
Little Boo

I've been a massive fan of RE since day 1, but oh boy, Capcom really lost me when they got to 6 and their Call of Duty clone.

I really hope the can create more RE games with the charm and quality that got people excited and mesmerized with zombies in the first place.

Honestly, without the tube top, mini skit, and sweater tied around the waist, RE3 Jill just doesn't have that blase devil may care nonchalance that made her look like a total bad@$$ in the original RE3.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:08 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDulay View Post
I've been a massive fan of RE since day 1, but oh boy, Capcom really lost me when they got to 6 and their Call of Duty clone.

I really hope the can create more RE games with the charm and quality that got people excited and mesmerized with zombies in the first place.

Honestly, without the tube top, mini skit, and sweater tied around the waist, RE3 Jill just doesn't have that blase devil may care nonchalance that made her look like a total bad@$$ in the original RE3.
You can still get Jill's original costume in the pre-order pack.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:09 AM
Little Boo

Oh, nice! But it's still not the canonical outfit she wears in the story. The marketing material shows the intent of depicting her with a practical outfit, which obvious makes more sense, but it takes away the charm of her original outfit. I really hope the game turns out great and it is universally loved by fans old and new.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:36 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDulay View Post
Oh, nice! But it's still not the canonical outfit she wears in the story. The marketing material shows the intent of depicting her with a practical outfit, which obvious makes more sense, but it takes away the charm of her original outfit. I really hope the game turns out great and it is universally loved by fans old and new.
Probably just modern tastes needing to change her outfit and look. If they made the game around the time of the original Remake. It probably would not have changed.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:03 PM
Scares Little Kids

I have enjoyed playing RE: Biohazard and RE2: Remake but there are a lot of good games aside from Resident Evil.
Moving on, I haven't played games that much lately since I've been busy installing the wheel and tire packages that I bought from 4wheelonline.

Last edited by isabellamor; 03-28-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Evil Dead

Cool

The RE3 remake is a good action game, but hardly anything about it is remotely scary. Mikhail says "shitbird" at Nemesis on the train. There's a lot of content that Capcom cut out, and I suggest playing The Evil Within 2 instead, as there's way more to do.