Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post

Shock Value (2014)

Very clever and blackly funny low budget meta horror.

The snarky director thinks his horror movie-making experience gives him "the mind of a serial killer," moreso than his perfectly-cast actor, whom the director selected because he happens to be a real serial killer. Meanwhile, the killer acts indifferent to the project, yet practices his lines self-consciously in a mirror and calls out the writer/director for plot holes. The producer politely asks the actor/killer not to murder the director after the film is done, and Malcolm McDowell, in a sleazy cameo as a washed up actor, pitches his big idea: to play Dracula in a found-footage, "edgy, 21st century reboot" that boasts "modern stuff, like the internet."

Chock full of true meta stuff that doesn't rely on characters spelling out the satirical references, the way Scream, Cabin in the Woods, and Behind the Mask do. Heck, the makeup effects guy even looks like Tom Savini. This one will make horror fans smile, and the story's not bad either.

Recommended for black comedy fans who appreciate horror satire, and aren't adverse to low budget indies.

8/10

I watched this one as well, I enjoyed it.

Boa vs. Python

Well you should pretty much have an idea what this movie is gonna be like before even watching it. But even so, I did enjoy it especially since they didnt take the film serious there's some nice comedy in it but not to the point to where its not enjoyable. Atleast for me but I enjoy some cheese.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:31 PM
病気の

Collar, 2014. 8/10

Thumb resize.

Felt Nicholson's style all over this film, as always amazing gore FX.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:39 PM
ventricle

Speed Racer 2008
7/10

"A young driver, Speed Racer, aspires to be champion of the racing world with the help of his family and his high-tech Mach 5 automobile."

Some excellent casting with Matthew Fox as Racer X, John Goodman as Pops, Roger Allam as E.P. Arnold Royalton; not so much with Christina Ricci as Trixie & Emile Hirsch as Speed Racer.

Thought Speed Racer & the Wachowski Bros (the Matrix) was a perfect match. After all, the 1966 Speed Racer animated cartoon originated the (animated) camera spin around the character (seen at end of TV intro).

I was a fan of the animated cartoon (have never seen any cartoon like it, & never anything close post 1980s). I thought it'd make a good live action film once SFX caught up.

Unfortunately, the Wachs choose a neon-lights & toy video-game race track environment for much of the racing, which I thought looked horrible -- both in looks & an unrealistic physics feel. During production, I wish they would have reviewed the overall look, acknowledged it's defects, & started over without the neon. I think a more realistic look & physics would have looked better, just as it did in the cartoon.

Despite the look, Speed Racer does capture the authentic feel of the Racer family's fight for pure honest sport, art, goodness & justice. It incorporates the brother theme into the fight against injustice & evil. The film is effectively fun & entertaining.

Speed Racer makes a homage to a number of the TV episode themes, including a disappointingly tonned-down Mammoth Car. I think making a full-sized Mammoth Car the central focal point for the film's climax (including the original Mammoth Car musical theme) would have been extremely effective. The Mammoth Car being an excellent symbol of the corporate corruption, excess & power.

Also, I think the film played too loose on Speed Racer's intense sense of justice & immediate action, which really propelled the TV series. I would have liked to see the intense, dangerous & wildly creative racing events play a dominate role in the film, much in the way the film Road Warrior did so successfully. I think the film missed on attention to key focal points. Would love to see them try it again, going with a Mammoth Car sequel.

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-11-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:21 PM
No, fuck YOU

Thumb resize.

"Alpha Dog" 5-6/10

That's a crazy number of famous faces in a movie that isn't particularly good. First half of the story is about young criminal people having sex and partying. Actually that goes on in most of the movie. Last half could've been taken out of a Dennis Lehane (Mystic River) novel. One of his weakest, that is.

Last edited by Angra; 01-12-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:19 PM
fanged menace

weve been on a bit of a robin williams kick at the moment so no horror for last couple of days but some movies from his back catalogue we`d not seen...

the night listener

a late night radio host recieves a manuscript from an abused boy who is dying and forms a friendship over the phone.....but not everything is as it seems.

7/10

august rush

an orphaned boy with music in his heart searches for the parents he "knows" are out there. some great performances but its the music that gets you, really enjoyed this.

8/10
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 AM
Evil Sweat

Death Wish 1 - 4
I love these movies.
Wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the series with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

What We Do In The Shadows (2014)
A
Brilliant and original movie.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:04 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Death Wish 1 - 4
I love these movies.
Wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the series with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Haven't seen any past #2 yet. I'm enjoying them so far though, only a recent first time viewing for me...Dirty Harry as well, couldn't get into that, loved the DW stuff thus far though.

I watched Little Nicky with a friend that hadn't seen it, baked out of our minds.
Yeah, pretty stupid, but one of my preferred of Sandlers heyday.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Haven't seen any past #2 yet. I'm enjoying them so far though, only a recent first time viewing for me...Dirty Harry as well, couldn't get into that, loved the DW stuff thus far though.

I watched Little Nicky with a friend that hadn't seen it, baked out of our minds.
Yeah, pretty stupid, but one of my preferred of Sandlers heyday.
Death Wish 1 and 3 are my favorites.
Dirty Harry kicks ass too but in a slighty different way.
I think The Deadpool is the coolest. It has Jim Carrey and the original Guns N' Roses.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Evil Dead

Absentia

So boring I just couldnt get into this one. Very uneventful.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Thumb resize.

"Alpha Dog" 5-6/10

That's a crazy number of famous faces in a movie that isn't particularly good. First half of the story is about young criminal people having sex and partying. Actually that goes on in most of the movie. Last half could've been taken out of a Dennis Lehane (Mystic River) novel. One of his weakest, that is.
I actually like this one. I didn't know the first time that I watched it that it was based on a true story. After reading about the real story, I watched it a second time to see how close they were to the truth, not bad.

Tags
movie