Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-24-2007, 02:41 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Danse Macabre was another non-fiction bok by King that I adore. It was an early musing on the horror genre and the writing is indicative of King at his most cocaine-fueled. Fun, fast, informative and often wildly off-the-mark. It's a great read for anyone interested in the history of or analysis of the horror genre.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 01-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned

I've read pretty much all of King's books and the only ones that I would not recommend would be "Gerald's Game", "The Tommyknockers", "Dreamcatcher", and "Needful Things".

One that I haven't read is "Roadwork". Has anyone read this? Is it any good?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Banned

Has anyone read "Roadwork"?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Tenant

Yes, it's pretty good. I would not call it horror, and I'm certain it wasn't meant to be, but it's a solid story of a man's struggle to defend what he believes in, even if it drives him to insanity. Literally.

I like King's work, I find it simplistic and overworded, but very enjoyable. I can see why others wouldn't be too fond of him.

I like Dreamcatcher, Salems' Lot, The Shining, Cujo, Thinner...Thinner and Cujo had unjustifiable movies made out of them, so before you laugh, give the books a try.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Evil Puppy

Most have been mentioned, but you should all check out Stationary Bike, it's almost like somebody else wrote it. I'm not saying Steven King isn't good but it's so different from his usual stuff, especially for being so recent. I also liked Regulators and Running Man a lot which I didn't see mentioned but maybe missed.

Last edited by Despare; 01-25-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
Yes, it's pretty good. I would not call it horror, and I'm certain it wasn't meant to be, but it's a solid story of a man's struggle to defend what he believes in, even if it drives him to insanity. Literally.

I like King's work, I find it simplistic and overworded, but very enjoyable. I can see why others wouldn't be too fond of him.

I like Dreamcatcher, Salems' Lot, The Shining, Cujo, Thinner...Thinner and Cujo had unjustifiable movies made out of them, so before you laugh, give the books a try.
I really wasn't a fan of Dreamcatcher and Thinner is one of the few that I haven't read. Maybe I'll give Roadwork a run as my next read. Have you read Misery or The Long Walk? I loved both of them.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:11 AM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master View Post
I've read pretty much all of King's books and the only ones that I would not recommend would be "Gerald's Game", "The Tommyknockers", "Dreamcatcher", and "Needful Things".
"Gerald's Game" is one of the select books I've finished. Actually, maybe the only one. I think there is more horror found in this one than his other stories.

Last edited by X¤MurderDoll¤X; 01-26-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Tenant

Yeah, most didn't like Dreamcatcher. I was totally engrossed by the descriptive accounts of the characters involved, individually, as each discovers the horrors that are happening around them. I found the layout marvelously chilling.

Thinner is just a lot of fun. Good, weird gypsy story, and a fast read.

Didn't care too much for Gerald's Game, I'm with Master on this one. The idea was strong, and terrifying, but it ended up just sagging in all of its ideas, and the main character's reflections were only uninteresting perversions to me.

Master, give Roadwork a try. It's quite enjoyable.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
Yeah, most didn't like Dreamcatcher. I was totally engrossed by the descriptive accounts of the characters involved, individually, as each discovers the horrors that are happening around them. I found the layout marvelously chilling.

Thinner is just a lot of fun. Good, weird gypsy story, and a fast read.

Didn't care too much for Gerald's Game, I'm with Master on this one. The idea was strong, and terrifying, but it ended up just sagging in all of its ideas, and the main character's reflections were only uninteresting perversions to me.

Master, give Roadwork a try. It's quite enjoyable.

Gerald's Game had tons of potential and it probably could have been great if 150 or so pages had been cut.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Evil Dead

After reading this thread and realizing that I had never read The Stand, I went and got it. I zipped through it in three nights (lost a bit of sleep) and found it fantastic. I did like the first half the best but it was a good read. The Long Walk is a great story as well but it is depressing. I have to be in the right mood to read it. I have found that most of his Bachman books are very depressing but novel because they don't follow the hollywood happy ending pattern. (side note: I have an early copy of Thinner with the fake author photo in the back)