Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-21-2006, 11:54 PM
That fucking Guy...

PS2 Reccomendations

Hey...I had a ps2 some time back, like a few years ago...so I'm a little bit behind when it comes to the games.
I'm getting another one from EB, as the games are becoming so damn cheap so damn soon, a situation that will only continue with the launch of more x360 games and the eventual release of the ps3...so yeah...I figure I'll get a ps2 again, now that I don't have to modify my machine to get "cheap" games...

So, onto business...I'm looking for some reccomendations.

I've played and enjoyed:
Onimusha 1, Kingdom Hearts, Eve of Extinction, Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance and I'll most likely be getting those again.

I generally like some rpgs (not overly complex ones), darker titles like survival horror stuff, weird and unusual games, FPS and games that are good for 2player. I hate sports games, but some racing games that aren't ultra "real" are ok.

Some titles I've looked at and considered are
*Second Sight
*Resident evil 4, outbreak.
*Jak & Daxter
*Ico
*Shadow of memories
*Onimusha series (haven't played much of #1)
*Evil dead regeneration
*Ultimate Spider-Man
*Crash Nitro (hoping it's as good as CTR).
*Viewtiful Joe looks...interesting...

Can anyone give any information about the titles above?
I'd also like some solid reccomendations for other titles.

I just ebayed "the bouncer" really cheap...I haven't heard great things about it, but I've always wondered.
Also...was the ape escape sequel worth a look?

- B
Old 04-22-2006, 02:16 AM
The Dork Knight

Re: PS2 Reccomendations

*Second Sight
*Resident evil 4
*Jak & Daxter
*Onimusha series (haven't played much of #1)
*Ultimate Spider-Man
*Viewtiful Joe looks...interesting...

All those are at the very least decent.

Jak and Daxter started to bore me after about halfway through but it was still fun.

As for Viewtiful Joe, I watched a friend of mine play it for about 15 minutes and it damn near put me to sleep but...1)I've never liked games like that too much in the first place and 2)He wasn't really good at it at all. You like cartoon and comic book stuff alot so you might like it for all I know but I just couldn't get into it.

There's Kindom Hearts 2 , if you liked the first then there's always the chance you'll like the second. Couple of friends told me it's longer and better than the first for what that's worth.

Metal Gear series is awesome imo.

Grand Theft Auto series very good as well.

The Godfather is an excellent game, which is basically Grand Theft Auto set in the time,style and story of The Godfather.

For whatever reason the only racing games I've ever really enjoyed are the Midnight Club games. Midnight Club 3:Dub Edition is the latest and my personal fav.

God of War is another one I haven't played(well, haven't owned) that a few people have told me is great.

Nothing else is springing to mind at the moment.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:59 AM
That fucking Guy...

Cool man...thanks for all the info...Yeah, I saw kingdom hearts 2 on ebay, but an ntsc only copy (our machines are PAL only here)...so I guess it's relatively new.
I liked the first one, so I'll probably check out this one too, eventually.
The godfather DOES look pretty solid, and I'd probably try that before getting into one of the GTA games again, I've played them all...although, the psp port of liberty city stories might be good.
Metal Gear Solid...I played a little of the first one on ps1, I think I'd have to get that to get into the series...I have this continuity thing in my head...I should be able to find a copy someplace anyway.
Again, thanks for the info.

Any other suggestions, people?

- B
Old 04-22-2006, 03:17 AM
Your funeral... my trial

The PS2 is a great console for RPGs. Most of the current-gen RPGs that I've played, however, are rather complex. But anyway, I'll just list a few games that I've enjoyed by genre.

RPG: Disgaea (good luck finding it, it's pretty rare these days), Shadow Hearts series, Digital Devil Saga, Makai Kingdom

Horror: Silent Hill 2&3... I'd avoid the 4th one though... Fatal Frame series, RE4 if you haven't played the GC version

Action: God of War, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 04-22-2006, 03:33 AM
Evil Dead

If your after a great FPS get Black
Do you know who i am? I'm the ANTICHRIST. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood, tell the ANGELS in Heaven you never saw EVIL so singularly personified than in the face of the man who KILLED you........

I ask you again Captain, where will you go?
You can destroy my specimens but what about the millions that wait to greet you outside?
Do you really think you can blow the piss out of them?
All of them?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:39 AM
It's Daddy,you shithead!

Quote:
Originally posted by cheebacheeba
Cool man...thanks for all the info...Yeah, I saw kingdom hearts 2 on ebay, but an ntsc only copy (our machines are PAL only here)...so I guess it's relatively new.
I liked the first one, so I'll probably check out this one too, eventually.
The godfather DOES look pretty solid, and I'd probably try that before getting into one of the GTA games again, I've played them all...although, the psp port of liberty city stories might be good.
Metal Gear Solid...I played a little of the first one on ps1, I think I'd have to get that to get into the series...I have this continuity thing in my head...I should be able to find a copy someplace anyway.
Again, thanks for the info.

Any other suggestions, people?

- B
Suggustions:Survival Horror

Resident Evil 4- Rock soild purchase you won't regret.An excellent game with hours of play time.

The Suffering-While the creators might have loused up the sequel part one remains solid.One of my favorites.

Evil Dead Regeneration-Any fan of the series will appreciate this entry.I assume you've played Evil Dead:Fistful of Boomstick(a better game in my opinon),if not you'll want to check it out.

Indigo Prophecy-This is a tuff one,it's hit or miss for most people.This game gives you the opportunity to "play" both sides,the police and the fugitive(think Sims with a horror twist)and the crime scene investigations are a nice idea too.I'm not going to lie though...this game can be extremely slow at times and to seems as though a character prompt pops up for every single movement.

Silent Hill 4:The Room-If you're a fan of the series this game won't disappoint.It's moody,creepy and a little disturbing as you've come to expect from the Silent Hill series.

FPS/Action:

The Godfather-What more can I say that Austin has'nt already said?This game sells itself...it's rock solid.

Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater(Subsistence)-With the recent reissue and the new "third person" camera this game is even more enjoyable the second time around(lots of extras).As for continuity issues,MGS3 is actually first(taking place in the 60's)and introducing new characters and "fleshing out" old ones.Highly recommended.

Black-The guns are the stars in this game.You want to blow stuff up?You want to slaughter mass amounts of terrorists?If so this is your game...mindless good fun.On the downside the enemy A.I. seems to be pretty non-existent and it has a rather abrupt ending.

Gun-A good western themed action game on par with "Red Dead Revolver".Cons-I thought the game was over to quick(but fun while it lasted).

As usual I'm forgetting games I know.I hope you find some of these suggestions useful.

Budduskey:i am the motherfucking shore patrol,motherfucker!i am the motherfucking shore patrol!give this man a beer.

"Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman.
"Get stuffed!" replied the Harlequin, sneering.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:51 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Ive only played 2 on your list, Evil Dead: Regeneration and Viewtiful Joe.

Evil Dead is really fun, but way to short and pretty repetitive. I enjoyed it though, pretty good game.

As for Viewtiful Joe, I havent played it for PS2, but it's easily one of my favourite Gamecube games. It isnt too hard, the powers are really cool, the design is great, and I love the story. Highly recomended.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:28 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Horror: Silent Hill 2&3... I'd avoid the 4th one though... Fatal Frame series, RE4 if you haven't played the GC version
Why not silent hill 4? Yeah...I think I may have played fatal frame under another name on dreamcast back in the day...is the RE4 ps2 version better/longer in any way on ps2? Not that I've played it one way or another...

Quote:
The Suffering-While the creators might have loused up the sequel part one remains solid.One of my favorites.
Hmm...I thought that game was xbox only? What's it about?

Quote:
Indigo Prophecy
I think that's under the name "faranheit" over here, and to me, it looks excellent, I fully intend to get this one somewhere down the line.

Quote:
Action: God of War, Shadow of the Colossus
God of War is actually one of the games I'll be getting in the package with the unit (EB has a deal on with 3 sony lable platinum games), it looked fairly good so it'll be one of my choices.
Shadow of the Collossus...is that the one with like really gigantic creatures? Can you tell me any more about it?

Any other reccomendations would be good too.
Thanks.
- B
Old 04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
It's Daddy,you shithead!

Quote:
Originally posted by cheebacheeba
Hmm...I thought that game was xbox only? What's it about?
The Suffering-FPS or 3rdPS shooter/survival horror.In this game you're character "Torque" a newly convicted killer who resembles a cross between Glen Danzig and Vin Diesel arrives on a Alcatraz like prison island awaiting the death sentence for a crime he may or may not have commited.Needless to say everything quickly turns to shit and your running and fighting and killing your way off the island for the rest of the game.

This is one of those games that have(I think)3 or 4 possible outcomes depending on how good or rotten you are.It's creepy and atmospheric(voices and babies crying,flashbacks),oh and the fact that your character does'nt seem to be entirely human adds to the chaos.

On a bit of a side note:the creatures were all designed by Stan Winston Studios(Predator and Pumpkinhead)which makes them fairly unique(I think)and not a single zombie which is goddamned refreshing from time to time.

These are my ramblings....hope they help.

Budduskey:i am the motherfucking shore patrol,motherfucker!i am the motherfucking shore patrol!give this man a beer.

"Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman.
"Get stuffed!" replied the Harlequin, sneering.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 AM
That fucking Guy...

Got it today with Tekken 1-5, Crash Nitro, and God of War.
Getting Unreal Tournament and "The Bouncer" through ebay within the week.

Any further recos would be appreciated.