Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2006, 07:25 PM
SteveJ2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
I am REAL CURIOUS to know if the music track for this theatrical revisit is the ORIGINAL music track or the rerecorded one that's been foisted upon us on home video for some time now.

Would you mind elaborating on this? I've never heard anything about any "rerecorded" music track. I have the "25th Anniversary Edition" dvd of the original Halloween that came out in 2003, and the music track sounds the same to me as it always has.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:36 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Yes, I bumped my "Halloween experts...come forth!" thread in Modern Horror Movies. Take a look at it there.

It does bother me that so many people have seen recent rereleases of "Halloween" and not noticed that the music and sound effects tracks have been so heavily redone. I think it bothers me because "Halloween" is such a prominent horror film, and I feel people should be aware if someone releases a "changed" version that begins to veer away noticeably from what was originally seen.

One telltale sign you are hearing a "new" version is that the orchestrations make the theme music (in the opening titles) sound more like Halloween II, with synthetic violins swelling to a crescendo.

Another telltale sign is that the piano performance in the opening credits is performed too perfectly...by sequencers (in other words, it was programmed into, and performed by, a computer). The original piano track was performed by Carpenter "manually," and contains little flaws.

Bear in mind too, I think the redone version of the "Halloween" soundtrack is very well done--it sounds great, and it will blow you through the back wall. But the music, and many of the sound effects, have been changed.

Same thing with the Surround Stereo DVDs of "The Terminator"...it's good to hear the music in stereo, but the stereo mix contains many sound effects that are newly-added changes.

Friend....gooooood!