Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Indie Horror Movies and Short Films
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2009, 06:17 PM
ThreeVFilms

Check out Abundant Sunshine

Check out a trailer for our new film and let us know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZIeJYSRcA
Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Cranky

I couldn't really get what the story is- aside from the fact there's a guy, who's a father, who goes around killing people.

And there's something aboiut videotapes- but I have no idea what it is.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-03-2009, 06:22 AM
HDC Idol

Peeping Tom + The Poughkeepsie Tapes + Home Movie = one of the better SPAMmer links that I've seen on this site.

I'm interested.

Tell me more. Seriously. Is it coming to a theater near me? Or are you still looking for distribution? Don't just post and leave.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:50 AM
ThreeVFilms

The Story... Release

During 1987 through 1997 a serial killer terrorized the community of Beaumont, Texas with a double-digit murder count.

On February 28, 1997, at 9:15 AM an anonymous tip was received by the Beaumont Police Department leading them to the home of Jonathan Rainer and his wife of 19 years, Betty Rainer.

In the basement of the home, Police found over 1500 videotapes documenting Rainers life as a dedicated husband, devoted father and community leader. What the tapes also revealed would shock the world. The horrific actual murders of 12 victims captured by the killers camera.

Through the freedom of information act Jonathan's home videos were released and assembled into a feature length film exploring the inner workings of a psychopathic killer.

Abundant Sunshine is the assembled home video tapes of serial killer Jonathan Rainer's life and murders through his point of view in a feature length film.

NO RELEASE DATE FOR THE US YET. Being sold international by Silverline Int.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1326189/
Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
HDC Idol

Yeah, yeah I found and read the blurb on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeVFilms View Post
NO RELEASE DATE FOR THE US YET.
Now THIS was the information I was looking for. Keep me posted. This looks like a fantastic indie film.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Cranky

I don't know if this will be a good film or not but:

I DON'T BELIEVE IT.

Why does EVERY indie film try to pass itself off as "actual found footage" these days? It's like every single filmmaker has lost the belief in themselves so completely that they can never simply tell a good story. It's the curse of Blair Witch ad nauseum.

You even list actors.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 PM
HDC Idol

See, I don't read it as being pitched as actual found footage. I read it like someone posting the plot and setting of any other fictional horror move - they're just setting the scene:

The year is 1963, the night; Halloween. Police are called to 43 Lampkin Ln. only to discover that a 17-year-old Judith Myers had been stabbed to death, by her 6-year-old brother... After being institutionalized for 15 years, Myers breaks out just days before Halloween. No one knows nor would wish to find out what would happen on October 31st 1978, besides Myer's psychiatrist Dr. Loomis. He knows Michael is coming back to Haddonfield, but by the time the town realizes it, it'll be to late for many people...

And say what you will about Blair Witch, it was successful: I remember when Blair Witch came out, my friend's little sister believed the viral marketing and thought that it was real.

Sure, I don't believe that this was real found footage, but there's a point where you have to suspend that disbelief to get into the film. Think about Home Movie. Part of what made that movie so successful was the fact that this was "real footage" of an actual family. It makes it much more believable.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Cranky

I loved Blair Witch. However- its legacy has been bad. Home Movie didn't pass itself off as real.

Perhaps I read it wrong but our poster says:

Quote:
Abundant Sunshine is the assembled home video tapes of serial killer Jonathan Rainer's life and murders

Old 01-04-2009, 03:20 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I loved Blair Witch. However- its legacy has been bad. Home Movie didn't pass itself off as real.

Perhaps I read it wrong but our poster says:
I read it more like:

Abundant Sunshine is the "assembled home video tapes of serial killer Jonathan Rainer's life and murders."

I just don't take it seriously. Just as any marketing ploy describes the plot of the film, part of the "plot" in this case is that the police have gotten hold of these tapes and that's what we're watching. We're meant to believe that these are the assembled tapes of a murderer. It's how the story is set. even though it's spoon-feeding the audience, it's sort of necessary to suspend our disbelief; it's not just any tapes... They're FOUND tapes... FROM THE KILLER HIMSELF!! :eek:

Also, just as with movies like Home Movie and even Blue Velvet, the audience is as much a main character as the actors are; cinema like this is a reflective view on the actual voyeurism of the audience member. By setting up the "plot" as being "assembled home video tapes" reminds the viewer that we're almost as bad as the killer themselves; we're just as voyeuristic and sadistic and just as implicated. It's introducing another member to the combined cast - The Viewer.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Cranky

Yah- I'm aware of how this plot device works. Filmmakers have been exploiting it since Peeping Tom. I've been watching this type of movie since before you were born.

In his description the filmmaker (or his PR guy, or whoever our poster is) doesn't say "this is the story of Jonathan Ranier, who made videotapes of his victims"...

He says

Abundant Sunshine IS THE ASSEMBLED HOME VIDEO TAPES...

We can hash it out amongst ourselves ad infinitum... or we can await more clarification...