Old 12-01-2017, 09:58 AM
bloody vixen

I thought the sequel to "The Crow" was pretty darn good...I also liked the sequels to "Candyman"--just awesome!!!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Little Boo

not really a sequel (sort of an odd spin off) but targets
Old 12-05-2017, 06:03 PM
ventricle

I'll re-post from years ago... There aren't many sequels I liked better than the original.

The Road Warrior (mad max 2)
Spider-man 2 (2004)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
Evil Dead 2
Last Crusade>Temple (going by my theater viewings)
Goldfinger>From Russia with Love/Dr No

Old 12-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I'll re-post from years ago... There aren't many sequels I liked better than the original.

The Road Warrior (mad max 2)
Spider-man 2 (2004)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
Last Crusade>Temple (going by my theater viewings)
Goldfinger>From Russia with Love/Dr No

These aren't Horror, although Temple Of Doom does toy with Horror-y aspects. I recall saying you saw TOD again years ago and you might've liked it more than Crusade. I definitely far prefer it. Crusade is fun but I felt too campy at times and too deriative of Raiders.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:14 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
These aren't Horror, although Temple Of Doom does toy with Horror-y aspects. I recall saying you saw TOD again years ago and you might've liked it more than Crusade. I definitely far prefer it. Crusade is fun but I felt too campy at times and too deriative of Raiders.
Too true, I didn't follow the thread title specification for horror films.

And you have a great memory... yes, I do like Temple of Doom better than Last Crusade, particularly because TOD is fully engrossing, suspension of disbelief is well maintained, and it's just flat-out fascinating. Whereas Last Crusade feels much too self-aware, like it knows it's being watched by an audience, often feels like a parody, and it's less engrossing and less believable as a result.

However, comparing the first viewings at the theater of both films, Doom was a let down to the long shadow of 'Raiders' (certainly a difficult act to follow, especially via a prequel that must ignore the character changes Indy earned through Raiders), but I really enjoyed Crusade. I think seeing Crusade in the more forced engrossing confines of a theater, and the big screen, quite simply helps Crusade mightily.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-09-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Too true, I didn't follow the thread title specification for horror films.

And you have a great memory... yes, I do like Temple of Doom better than Last Crusade, particularly because TOD is fully engrossing, suspension of disbelief is well maintained, and it's just flat-out fascinating. Whereas Last Crusade feels much too self-aware, like it knows it's being watched by an audience, often feels like a parody, and it's less engrossing and less believable as a result.

However, comparing the first viewings at the theater of both films, Doom was a let down to the long shadow of 'Raiders' (certainly a difficult act to follow, especially via a prequel that must ignore the character changes Indy earned through Raiders), but I really enjoyed Crusade. I think seeing Crusade in the more forced engrossing confines of a theater, and the big screen, quite simply helps Crusade mightily.

No worries there, mix-ups happen :D

I wasn't born yet when the first two Indy films were out (I was 2 when Last Crusade came out), but I can imagine TOD at the time being so hot off the success of Raiders probably had massive expectations and probably didn't meet them for a lot of people, and moreso with it in terms of the story and tone being a big change from Raiders. TOD is so much darker and at times goes into some uncomfortable territory such as human sacrifice and child slavery, which I felt just added to how evil the villains were and made you want to see Indiana Jones succeed that much more against them. People probably weren't expecting such a dramatic tonal shift and the movie to get as dark and grim as it did at times.

Last Crusade is entertaining but at times way too goofy and comical, and definitely far too deriative of Raiders at times. Spielberg has even said when he made the film he had the idea to basically have it be Raiders but with Sean Connery in the mix, which at times it very much feels like. It played it too safe much of the time and also suffered from dull villains, a somewhat underwhelming climax and really hurt both Sallah and Brody's characters. Still a fine film, but a sizable stepdown from the first two for me.

TOD is the closest the series ever got to Horror and I'd like it if the next film was more Horror-oriented. Indy is a character who lends himself well to Horror scenarios for sure. Funny enough, one of the earlier concepts for Last Crusade involved a haunted castle, which I would've liked to have seen.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:04 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
No worries there, mix-ups happen :D

I wasn't born yet when the first two Indy films were out (I was 2 when Last Crusade came out), but I can imagine TOD at the time being so hot off the success of Raiders probably had massive expectations and probably didn't meet them for a lot of people, and moreso with it in terms of the story and tone being a big change from Raiders. TOD is so much darker and at times goes into some uncomfortable territory such as human sacrifice and child slavery, which I felt just added to how evil the villains were and made you want to see Indiana Jones succeed that much more against them. People probably weren't expecting such a dramatic tonal shift and the movie to get as dark and grim as it did at times.

Last Crusade is entertaining but at times way too goofy and comical, and definitely far too deriative of Raiders at times. Spielberg has even said when he made the film he had the idea to basically have it be Raiders but with Sean Connery in the mix, which at times it very much feels like. It played it too safe much of the time and also suffered from dull villains, a somewhat underwhelming climax and really hurt both Sallah and Brody's characters. Still a fine film, but a sizable stepdown from the first two for me.

TOD is the closest the series ever got to Horror and I'd like it if the next film was more Horror-oriented. Indy is a character who lends himself well to Horror scenarios for sure. Funny enough, one of the earlier concepts for Last Crusade involved a haunted castle, which I would've liked to have seen.
Well said. And really Raiders plays a great deal with fear and other elements of horror. TOD was darker and added even more horror elements, but I wouldn't say those were the things that made it a step down from Raiders. There was less awe and wonderment, and also less surprise and suspense.

Ultimately the subject matter is certainly going to make its mark on the film. Going from the Ark of the Convenant tug-of-war with Nazi Germany to an extremely isolated cult in India is going to take its toll.

TOD is a hell of an Indy film, I think it pushed into the TV serial much more than Raiders did, which was really the inspiration for both, but the Raiders story just went for epic and hit it, whereas TOD had no such aspiration.

And so true, Crusade had one of the weakest villain(s) in film. For the most part Crusade lacked the omni-present visceral fear that Raiders and TOD carried throughout. There were dangerous thrilling moments in Crusade, but along with lacking an arching continuity, the goofiness of the humor-for-humors-sake as opposed to seamless comic relief, and the sense of parody, left the audience feeling much too safe and aware of the "film".

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-21-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Evil Dead

TOD is definitely the one that most felt like the vintage adventure serials that inspired the series in the first place. That with the darker mood and borderline Horror feel make it a standout of the series. I've had it a couple of times in my Horror marathon viewings and it's definitely not out of place in a Horrorthon. The closest the series ever came to Horror. I'd love for Indy 5 to be more like it.

That's very true about Crusade as well. It never had that feeling of danger and foreboding the first two had. There was that feeling Indy could die at any moment and maybe things might not work out so well. With Crusade it felt much more by the numbers.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Evil Dead

It's a prequel, but another more recent Horror follow-up I found better than it's predecessor was Annabelle: Creation.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Scares Little Kids

Re: Horror Sequels Better Than The Original

I'd have to say I enjoyed the re-release of The Babysitter more than the original. I have no idea if that counts due to it not being the original movie maker not making the sequel or remake I should say, but I thought I should include it for those interested in one better than the original. It was hilarious too.