Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Bad Natured

Ugetsu (1953). This uniquely simple movie is also a masterpiece of direction and cinematography. The story itself is simple. Set in 16th Century Japan, two peasant men follow their dreams of wealth and glory as the country is about to be devastated by war. While the backset shows how the ravages of war torments the peasants to obscenity, this is more a tale of human nature, a tale of greed and vanity, of mistakes made by real people. Men here fight for wealth, fame and power, while the women strive for simple and unadorned security; that men make the greatest of errors does not equate to women being without their faults. The acting is compelling, with all of the leads portraying their parts with powerful results. The direction is awesome, and the camera-work is wonderful. With splendidly long takes, a camera inconspicuously on the move with flawless intent, and eerie scenes that forbodes what is to come (AKA the boat scene), there is nary a fault to be found in what should be considered one of the best films ever made. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.

Last edited by psycho d; 10-13-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:14 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Attack the Gas Station (1999)

Four young Korean punks invade a gas station because they are bored. As they realize running the station for an evening might be more profitable & worth time passing than simply robbing it, they end up taking hostage the manager and employees as well as most of the customers.

An excellent comedy extravaganza from Korea. Don't dare to miss this awesome fun ride if you get a chance to see it anytime anywhere.

>>: A-
Old 10-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Bad Natured

Bio Zombie (1998). This wonderful little Asian zombie flick deserves better than played out comparisons to American zombie flicks. This is a dark comedy about two friends, jerks really, that are somehow wonderfully likeable. While the monsters take a while to make their appearance, the shenanigans that the two leads get into provide wonderful entertainment. The other characters turn our to be just as fun, and once the real fun gets going their interactions lead to some fun and playful scenes. Gore-hounds might be a little dissappointed with this fun, low-budget film, but i be that even they will come away approvingly. That this film is character driven and that we get to understand what true friendship and honor are really all about takes nothing away from its goofy horror. The ending itself takes on a completely unforseen tone, but with a dark and wonderful aplomb. Ashe.
derek

Last edited by psycho d; 10-17-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Bad Natured

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003). That this is a visually stunning movie is not only an understatement, it is of minor importance to the profound impact that this spectacular film has on the soul. This is a sublime, symbolic, and simple study of life itself. With little dialogue, Kim-duc Kim tells the story of a man raised in a floating Buddhist temple by a wise and powerful monk. The theme is of lessons learned and paid for. This film was nothing short of an outstanding movie and visual meditation. Ashe.
derek

Old 10-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Heaven for the climate

The Red Shoes, I was impressed, a lot of blood and the story was decent as well. It's worth a watch, it's on netflix instant if I'm not mistaken.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Undead

Big Man Japan
Old 10-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People (1963)

A true Asian Classic. Loved it.

>>: B+
Old 10-19-2009, 04:56 AM
Cranky

With a great score by Sadao Bekku too!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Foxhole Atheist

The Good The Bad The Weird

What an extremely enjoyable film! Ji-woon Kim gives a visually stunning, action filled western set in '30s Manchuria. The plot is thin on the ground (to say the least), a train robber, outlaw and bounty hunter are all chasing each other across Chinese deserts on the hunt for buried treasure hinted at on a stolen treasure map. In turn they are pursued by the Japanese army and Chinese bandits and thats pretty much it. What makes this film is the excellent performances from all concerned, the quirky and funny script and the brilliant set pieces.

Did I mention how good it looks? The cinematography is fantastic, the sets are good and even the costumes are noticable in their quality. If you want to be thoroughly entertained, watch this.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 10-21-2009, 05:02 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Attack the Gas Station (1999)

Four young Korean punks invade a gas station because they are bored. As they realize running the station for an evening might be more profitable & worth time passing than simply robbing it, they end up taking hostage the manager and employees as well as most of the customers.

An excellent comedy extravaganza from Korea. Don't dare to miss this awesome fun ride if you get a chance to see it anytime anywhere.

>>: A-
Can't WAIT to see this! Thanks for the rec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Bio Zombie (1998). This wonderful little Asian zombie flick deserves better than played out comparisons to American zombie flicks. This is a dark comedy about two friends, jerks really, that are somehow wonderfully likeable. While the monsters take a while to make their appearance, the shenanigans that the two leads get into provide wonderful entertainment. The other characters turn our to be just as fun, and once the real fun gets going their interactions lead to some fun and playful scenes. Gore-hounds might be a little dissappointed with this fun, low-budget film, but i be that even they will come away approvingly. That this film is character driven and that we get to understand what true friendship and honor are really all about takes nothing away from its goofy horror. The ending itself takes on a completely unforseen tone, but with a dark and wonderful aplomb. Ashe.
derek
Glad you liked this one - I found it absolutely charming; something I would definitely watch over and over again. Completely underrated zombie comedy.

Dai-Nihonjin (Big Man Japan): Definitely not a horror movie, this mockumentary covers... GIANT MONSTERS. We follow around BIG MAN JAPAN, a man who has been tasked with the job of fighting giant monsters when they come and attack Japan... Great concept. Some funny, fantastic giant monster-fighting scenes, but definitely falls short of the expectations that I had for it. It definitely takes a very SLOW and MUTED approach to the subject which, while I understand the point, I found myself getting bored and just waiting for the next ridiculous giant monster scene.

NE - You would really dig this one.

3/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!