Old 12-21-2017, 03:04 AM
Evil Dead

The Howling. Truly disturbing. I find transformation scenes scariest mid way. The wolves aren't so scary.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:58 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
The Howling. Truly disturbing. I find transformation scenes scariest mid way. The wolves aren't so scary.
Yep, midway through the film, at the resort colony (I think it's in Wagner's office) Quist transforms in front of Karen. The werewolf in Wagner's office is the most frightening werewolf scene I've ever seen.

The transformation in American Werewolf in London is nifty for sure... I'd just say it's rather lengthy (not that I complained at the time), and rather more showy than scary. I think you're kind of watching it thinking... these are cool effects, rather than staying in the film; whereas in Howling, it's more captivating and frightening within the film itself.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:54 AM
Driller Killer

American Werewolf in London has the best IMO. I actually felt the pain as I saw David transforming.

The Howling also had a crazy transformation scene with Eddie's lycanthropic turn! Yikes!

I liked the dissolve used in I Was a Teenage Werewolf, where we see Michael Landon transforming after the school bell rings in his ears.

I have to agree...the TV show Werewolf had some amazing transformations.

My honorable mention: Silver Bullet, when we see the Reverend transform into the werewolf.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:01 AM
Evil Dead

Think THE HOWLING is the better film, but AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON is a superior transformation. Saw it in the theaters during the initial run and just amazing how Baker and Co pulled it off. Kudos to David Naughton for what must have been a very long day...