Old 07-06-2010, 03:39 AM
The Artist

Hello form darkinc1

This is a little bit about myself and my work. If you would like to ask me a question or have a request of some kind then please contact me.

I’m not a classically trained artist. I have merely picked up the skills through my own self interest and drive to produce a better rendering of whatever subject I happen to be working on at the time.

I’m not a lover of photorealistic work, why not take a photograph? I understand that it takes a lot of work and skill to reproduce in this way. But somehow the results are always clinical and flat to me. I try to give you a look of human spontaneity and randomness that only a human artist can do. Sometimes it’s the sketchiness, brushstrokes and texture that give you a feeling of soul and vibrancy. Hopefully my personality will come through in the work too.

Figurative work has always been at the forefront of my artistic endeavours since childhood. I’ve always been interested in people and the way to portray expression and emotion within a visual media. I was fascinated by Leonardo da Vinci's and Michelangelo Buonarroti's preparatory drawings as a child: such emotive works for such economy of line. It’s all to do with capturing what’s going on behind those eyes; capturing the emotional essence of a person if you like.

Who and what influences me? Lots of people and lots of things. TV, movies, people and the mood I’m in. There are four main artists that have influenced me: Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Piet Mondrian and because I was a teen in the 80’s, Patrick Nagel. I would also state Art Deco, Bauhaus art and design movements as making a profound impact on me at an early age.

The 1930’s and 1920’s are an era that seems to have given me inspiration. When you think of Art Deco you get a real sense of beauty in geometric simplicity; I suppose the same could be said of the Bauhaus school of thought that came 10 years previous. A secondary influence would be German Expressionism. I’m not an expert on this artistic philosophy but movies like Nosferatu (1922), The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1920) and Metropolis (1927) made a huge impression upon my first viewing. (Nosferatu especially so).

Why Universal Horror and Hammer movies? I have such fond memories of being frightened of these movies when I was a kid. The 1931 version of Frankenstein frightened the living daylights out of me when I was 8. Such style and atmosphere, and all without music score. The Bela Lugosi version of Dracula was another milestone in my movie education. I think this is in some small part was the movie that made me into a “Goth” during my late teens and early 20's.

Why turn professional artist now? Simple! It’s never too late. I’ve stopped listening to negativity, and feel confident in the skills I have acquired to produce popular, commercial artwork. The internet over the past 10 years has made it far easier for your work to become noticed and maybe sell a few bits here and there without initial outlay.

Many thanks

darkinc1 :)
Old 07-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Whip In My Valise

Welcome aboard:)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 AM
The Artist

thx muchly! :)

Tags
art, art prints, etsy, gothic, horror