Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Horror > Everything

Don't Go In The House

Donnie's just a normal teen. He likes his music loud, spends a lot of time chasing girls, and he loves his mother. The problem is, Donnie is about 30 years old, the girls all end up charbroiled and his moms a corpse. No, there's no spoilers there. All that info is doled out in the first ten minutes.

I think this is supposed to be a slasher flick, but it doesn't have a ton of slashing. What it does have is fire! Chemical fires, fire as punishment, revenge fires, and the best kind of fire, MURDER FIRES! Anyone know of another slasher film where the killer uses fire as his primary weapon? I don't mean fire as a physic phenomena, as in Fire Starter. I'm talking about actually stalking and abducting victims in order to burn them to death! Yikes, it's pretty grisly when you really consider it. Anyway, it's not great, but I feel like it's a movie that will grow on me and in five years, I'll be calling it an under appreciated classic.

One important point; Stick around for the end credits and you'll be treated to the amazing disco classic, Struck By Boogie Lightning.

Last edited by Repo'd; 07-28-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:08 AM
Evil Dead

Good movie. However there are things about it i like and dislike. For a start the conncept of someone specifically building a room to burn people in is very disturbing when you think about it. however, the killer is a bit to 'odd' for my liking, i know he's supposed to be though, he also seems a bit to goofy. Also there are not enough full blown burning ups in it for my liking, although again probably due to the budget. THe daft disco music and disco scenes are also shoehorned in to play to the style of the time. However despite all this i still like it, it uis 'classic' exploitation to the point of being a poster film for that description
Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Like this film too - it has a nasty mean spirited feel to it much like Maniac.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:51 AM
Evil Dead

these films should ideally be watched in a fillthy cinema where your feet stick to the floor, and there are a couple of punks copulating loudly against the back of your chair:)
Old 07-27-2015, 02:35 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilold View Post
these films should ideally be watched in a fillthy cinema where your feet stick to the floor, and there are a couple of punks copulating loudly against the back of your chair:)
For the full grindhouse experience! Absolutely.

Watched it a second time and as expected, I liked it even more than I did upon first viewing.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:32 AM
Evil Dead

you could put this in a triple pack, with the new york ripper, and title it 'seedy new york mean spirited exploitation', asssuming they are all in New york. Anyway the NY ripper is an odd one for me, it's got that gritty seedy feel to it and a nasty streak a mile wide (quack quack!). The duck sounds are unusual for me and i feel differently about them depending on my mood, sometimes they seem genuinely novel and thoroughly disturbing, and other times i can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of them.

Seen Ms45? that's pretty good and sterotypical of the ' rape/revenge' films of the time, although i haven't watched it in years. Figure me and repo'd have pretty much the exact same love of exploitation and probably love many of these kind of movies

Do you like Hobo with a shotgun? I do, classic style, wonderfully revisited. Also Rutger hauer is a 'straight to video' legend!

Last edited by neilold; 07-28-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 AM
Horror > Everything

You've mentioned some of my favorite films there, neilold. While I do like NY Ripper, I have to agree with you about the quacking. My first watch I hated it, but grew to where I now go back and forth on my feelings. Sometimes I'm amused, sometimes I wish it would just STOP!

Now, Abel Ferrara's MS. 45 is a different story. I love everything about that movie. It really puts me in that early 80's, gritty but glossy, New York state of mind. Are you a fan of Ferrara's Driller Killer? That flick is the truth! Pure, unadulterated splatter punk. No doubt, one of my top ten films of all time.

As for Hobo With a Shotgun, what's not to like, right? A lot of movies try to be retro and most fail, but Hobo nails it on every beat. The whole movie is incredibly entertaining but the last half hour or so is just relentless! There are some really memorable performances, and Rutger Hauer does what he does best. Commands the viewers attention every time he is onscreen. A "straight to video legend", indeed!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:14 AM
Evil Sweat

Movies that include a flamethrower are always a plus.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:27 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
Movies that include a flamethrower are always a plus.
You should check out Bellflower
Old 07-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
You should check out Bellflower
Thanks for the tip.