Old 02-16-2019, 08:15 PM
No, fuck YOU

It

I'm right. It's the rest of the world that's wrong.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:42 AM
Misanthrope

Maniac
Old 02-17-2019, 04:46 AM
Evil is Better

We now have 5 competitors. At any time you may explain why you chose your movie and how your show would go and begin arguing against others

Old 02-17-2019, 09:37 AM
Banned

The Conjuring
Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 PM
ventricle

The Thing

The Thing -- I think The Thing would make a good Netflix series, of at least one season, and there's one important reason why it would work: In the 1982 film, the reason the movie is able to end is because some of the remaining people were willing to kill themselves in order to prevent the alien from reaching civilization. But what if most of them were not willing to do that?

The will to survive is quite strong, and so is the instinct to kill the threat. And so in the series, we'll take more time to get to know the characters who are isolated in this American outpost in Antartica. The discovery of the Thing, and the spacecraft will happen over a longer period. The Thing will take many forms, but only when a dog was an alien do they realise a human can be replaced, at which point they realise any of them could be a Thing.

Over many trials and errors they realise it's very difficult to determine who's a copy. At some point, they will capture a man who is a Thing, and that's when thing get very interesting, because for the first time in this "series" we will hear what they have to say. Which is another reason killing the Things will not be so black and white.

Another addition to the series, which is only logical, is common with the 1954 version, which is there are members of the group who find useful ways to use the Thing, and perhaps their technology.

Last edited by Sculpt; 02-20-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM
Misanthrope

Maniac as a TV show would work well because it is a character study and there is a lot of scope for episodes to explore this descent into madness/violence. Some of this angle was explored effectively in parts of Hannibal so it could work well. The show could go down a hallucinogenic/dreamlike avenue or a gritty approach similar to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.... a combination of both would be ideal.

The character in Maniac isn't a romanticized/likeable killer like in Dexter also the concept of the film didn't revolve around the FBI or police trying to catch him.
This sets it apart already from the shows on at the moment.

TV shows have also become a lot more violent in recent years so previous boundaries/limitations won't hold the show back as much as it would've in the past. It could be a benchmark for pushing these boundaries further which would result in a cult following and further viewership after the shows run.

With the public's fascination with serial killer/crime shows I think this could work well.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Evil is Better

Two very good arguments. Anyone else?

Old 02-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Banned

I chose The Conjuring because I think one of the biggest problems in the movie series is they all dragged on way too long. The nun for example, had some beautiful scenery but most of the movie was just running around in the dark where I, already visually impaired, couldn't really tell what was going on. I think all of the movies in the series could easily be told in an hour-long series.

It could be an anthology series sort of like Tales from the Crypt. The intro and possible outros could take place in Patrick Wilson's character's museum where he could give a bit of an intro on a certain item and the episode could revolve around its story. I also liked the way they ended the nun, like the last scene indicating a bit of a twist and who the story was actually about. It wouldn't all have to be stories of him in his Museum about his items, it could be about people or other events he has encountered in his life.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:50 AM
Evil is Better

Great arguments. At any point you can argue against your opponents choices.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:28 AM
Banned

It's kind of hard to fight against the idea for the thing. That actually sounds like a really good idea and a fresh breath from all these other horror series' that are just about somebody picking up a knife and killing somebody.

With that said, Maniac could also probably work as a series, but I couldn't really see it taking off when we have shows like Hannibal or Bates Motel even where it's pretty open-and-shut as to what's going on. Both of those shows were canceled, despite the massive popularity behind the film series has. Maniac isn't really well known by the casual movie fan or television fan. I'm not saying it wouldn't last, but I am saying that the idea of some serial killer discovering himself and the descent into madness and all of that has been done to death.

Last edited by Morningriser; 02-21-2019 at 08:31 AM.