Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Grindhouse (dvd)

I have decided to buy this film because a number of people have recommended it. I was wondering what is the best way to buy it (on dvd)? As the double feature or the two films separately (uncut, special edition)? Also, if you have any thoughts on the movie(s) themselves, then you can share your opinions here. By the way, I did not check to see if a thread was created because I wanted to know which of the dvds that people preferred (so, if there already is a thread on Grindhouse, I apologize).
Old 06-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Evil Dead

Well, I bought them both seperately in their 2 disc uncut editions. I rarely have the time to sit down anymore and watch one movie, let alone two right in a row. I prefered it this way though, because I think they are both really good stand alone films with a common conceit. My personal favourite of the two was Planet Terror, because of its sheer gonzo sensibilities and awesome gore effects. Death Proof had a great performance by Kurt Russel and has Tarantino's trademark quirky/well written dialogue, but was hampered in my opinion by the same dialogue, although it's still a good picture. Hope that helps.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Hellraiser

I bought the Grindhouse Two disc collector's edition blu ray. Some people like the theater double feature edition, so it depends. Planet Terror is one of my all time fave movies after my lecturer played the movie in our class when I was in college. Planet Terror is an awesome movie in my opinion, gives you the classic exploitation movie look.. except that I don't like when the scratchy old movie effect is reduced during half of the movie so it looks like a normal modern movie. Awesome gore and awesome performance by Rose McGowan and Freddy Rodriguez.
I didn't however like Death Proof. Not sure why, I found it to be boring. Too much talk but less action.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Sometimes dead is better

What class did you watch that film in (I am just curious)? By the way, I would like to thank everyone who (so far) has provided their input. I ended up buying the two seperate extended, unrated versions of the film.

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Banned

I personally would have gone for the complete Grindhouse experience. Back to back with trailers. The way it was intended to be watched.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I personally would have gone for the complete Grindhouse experience. Back to back with trailers. The way it was intended to be watched.
Honestly, that is how I wanted it, but figured that it would be better seperate.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
What class did you watch that film in (I am just curious)? By the way, I would like to thank everyone who (so far) has provided their input. I ended up buying the two seperate extended, unrated versions of the film.
If I'm not mistaken it was video editing class. I was a film student so sometimes we'd just sit back and watch a movie for fun since we had a valid excuse to do so ;). Fortunately at that time, I had a very cool young lecturer (only couple of years older than me) who was into horror movies as well (he also introduced David Lynch's Eraserhead to me).
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Dark Seduction

Grindhouse!!!

Planet Terror and Death Proof are my favorite. I love cherry's character the go go dancer with one leg she is pretty and ends up getting a machine gun from the thigh down as a leg which i think is pretty BAD ASS! death proof i like because well teh whole concept of only the guy driving is safe and he purposely smashes his car to kill everybody else in his car reckless, I THINK SO!!!! :p
Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Dead as a Dodo

I originally saw them seperately - which was how they were originally released in the UK. But, I actually prefer the theatrical US version - it's just so much fun with the trailers in the middle! The only thing I missed was the lap dance from Death proof which is done as missing reel on the combined version.