Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
's got a Shine

Send a message via Skype™ to TheSilverBeetle
Bram Stoker's Dracula

I have just finished this novel for only the second time, it is one of my favorite books and possibly the scariest book I have ever read. I was hoping to discuss the book and possibly the author and the lore behind the story. I am currently reading the much more recent sequel Dracula: The Un-Dead. Any one up for some classic horror discussion?
Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Wanna Join?

Finished it this morning. Great! More later, have to go make dinner now or I'm gonna get yelled at.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 PM
's got a Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfear View Post
Finished it this morning. Great! More later, have to go make dinner now or I'm gonna get yelled at.
I'd like to discuss, especially since your signature quotes Frankenstein and Danse Macabre!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Scares Little Kids

This is one of my favorite books of all time!

Interesting history lesson: Stoker and Sir Arthur Conan Doyal were friends. After Stoke asked Doyal to proof read Dracula, Doyal was inspired to do the Sherlock Homes story "The Last Vampire." :)

-Kat
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Wanna Join?

Cool! Thanks. Gonna have to dig that out and read it sometime.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Scares Little Kids

The Last Vampire is one of my favorite Holmes stories. It's macabre, scary, really delivers that sense of paranoia, and when you get to the end, it all makes sense. :)

-Kat
Old 12-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Little Boo

A Superb Book

I read this for the first time several years ago and have recently been thinking that I should read it again.

This is what a vampire story should be: a genuinely scary, evil, undead villain who practically recreates Hell wherever he goes. Not this awful, twinky, sensitive, romantic, touchy-feely 'vampire' crap. (The first Blade film had that same realistic and menacing vibe to it, as did 30 Days of Night, both utterly brilliant movies.

Now, what do people think has been the best film adaption of the novel? I remember watching Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula and being in two minds about it. Not the best adaption, perhaps. For instance, while Gary Oldman was superb (he always is), Keanu Reeves's English accent was so funny it was hard to take the film seriously at times. I like Reeves as a person, but apart from his performance in The Gift, I find his acting decidedly iffy.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Rocha View Post
The Last Vampire is one of my favorite Holmes stories. It's macabre, scary, really delivers that sense of paranoia, and when you get to the end, it all makes sense. :)

-Kat
Do you mean 'The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire' ? or are you thinking of the TV show?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:44 AM

I do love the vampire genre.

Have the book in my library. Will have to dust it off and read it.

Sort of tend today to watch the films rather than read the novel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

THE DUCHESS
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM
's got a Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Caraway View Post
I read this for the first time several years ago and have recently been thinking that I should read it again.

This is what a vampire story should be: a genuinely scary, evil, undead villain who practically recreates Hell wherever he goes. Not this awful, twinky, sensitive, romantic, touchy-feely 'vampire' crap. (The first Blade film had that same realistic and menacing vibe to it, as did 30 Days of Night, both utterly brilliant movies.

Now, what do people think has been the best film adaption of the novel? I remember watching Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula and being in two minds about it. Not the best adaption, perhaps. For instance, while Gary Oldman was superb (he always is), Keanu Reeves's English accent was so funny it was hard to take the film seriously at times. I like Reeves as a person, but apart from his performance in The Gift, I find his acting decidedly iffy.
I agree completely with everything you've said. I just watched that version of the movie and though it might be the most like the book (which truthfully is kind of sad) I don't think it is the best movie. It would take a lot of thought to say which one i could say is the best. Each one has points that are very good.

Tags
bram stoker, classic, dracula, horror literature, vampire