Old 09-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Evil Dead

I Am Legend:The movie

I'm not sure if I like this or not:

Francis Lawrence Takes on I Am Legend
Source: Variety
September 14, 2005

Constantine director Francis Lawrence will direct I Am Legend for Warner Bros. Pictures, fast-tracking the long-gestating adaptation of the Richard Matheson novel. Variety says David Heyman, Akiva Goldsman, Neal Moritz and Erwin Stoff are producing. Mark Protosevich wrote the script.

In "Legend," Lawrence takes on a big sci-fi project that has been at the studio for nearly a decade. At one time, it had Ridley Scott and Arnold Schwarzenegger attached, and another incarnation had Michael Bay and Will Smith set.

Set in Los Angeles after a biological war, the film centers on the sole healthy survivor, a man who finds himself in a battle against nocturnal mutants. The film will undergo a rewrite under the supervision of Lawrence and the producers, who eye a 2006 start date.

Matheson's book was adapted twice before. Vincent Price starred in The Last Man on Earth and Charlton Heston toplined The Omega Man.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Your funeral... my trial

I must give thanks to Cthulhu that Michael Bay didn't get his devilish hands on this one. Any project that he is involved with is just doomed to failure. I've got mixed feelings about any attempt to make I Am Legend into a movie though. The book was so powerful that any film remake will only pale in comparison, as The Omega Man and Last Man on Earth proved.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Don't know how I feel about this. I adore the book.
But I am also relieved that Michael Bay is out. I think that if handled properly, another screen adaptation is not such a bad idea. On the other hand, what are the chances it will be? Slim to none. I figure it will be completely butchered. :(
Old 09-17-2005, 07:06 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Never read the book, nor seen Omega Man....but the adapyion of this, Last Man on Earth, is one of my favourite horrors of all time. This better be good...
Old 09-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Undead

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Return
Never read the book, nor seen Omega Man....but the adapyion of this, Last Man on Earth, is one of my favourite horrors of all time. This better be good...
I loved the book and the film "The Omega Man" but they were as different as night and day. You could say the film was inspired by the book, but that's it.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I too am a huge fan of the Omega Man and I am Legend. I think, though that I am Legend can be adapted to film, but it needs to be done in a very intimate fashion. Close, character driven and not all about slaughtering CGI vampires. I also think any big name in Hollywood is more or less out. Thank God we won't be seeing Will Smith as Neville. Multitudes of CGI vampires are a big no-no in this case. I was very fond of Constantine, too. Pretty solid performance for Keanu, and Tilda Swinton was very cool.