Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Evil Dead

'Bride Of Frankenstein' (1935)
-Boris Karloff

Phantoms Review: Doesn't get any better than this.
Perfect way to end Halloween
Old 11-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake (1959)

This is a great little gem - a family is cursed by a tribe of headshrinkers. Each generation dies at 60, their head missing. Priceless reveal in the end.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post

The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake (1959)

This is a great little gem - a family is cursed by a tribe of headshrinkers. Each generation dies at 60, their head missing. Priceless reveal in the end.
That's a great title too! Hope to check it out sometime. Thanks for the heads up, haven't heard about it before.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:25 AM

Blood of the Vampire (1958)

Pretty Average low budget British Horror, which comes across like a low budget Hammer film. Not surprising, as it is written by Jimmy Sangster and stars Barbara Shelley. Despite the title, there is no real vampire in this.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Horror Fan

The Bad Seed (1956)

More of a thriller than horror but still eerie. Not the kind of film that will give hororcrux nightmares. I think they should have left the ending as it was in the broadway play by the same name rather than making it more palatable as a motion picture (do research after you've seen it to avoid spoilers).

Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
The Bad Seed (1956)

More of a thriller than horror but still eerie. Not the kind of film that will give hororcrux nightmares. I think they should have left the ending as it was in the broadway play by the same name rather than making it more palatable as a motion picture (do research after you've seen it to avoid spoilers).
Yeah, evil children don't really scare me mostly because I am one myself.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
The Bad Seed (1956)

Great film but the Deus ex machina ending is laughable.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Evil Dead

Wrestling Women vs The Aztec Mummy' (1964)

Plot: Title says it all.

Phantoms Review: Wonderfully, hysterically, bad.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

In having a discussion the other day I realized a friend of mine does not like Horror movies. He thinks they're all stupid and about some girl running downstairs when she should be running out the front door kind.

After further discussion I realized he's only ever seen modern slasher movies. Myself now understanding the problem and being determined to prove that he was merely ignorant of the genre set out to widen his field of vision.

The movie that started the conversation was myself and a different friend discussing Tod Browning's "Freaks". Since he had heard us talking about it, I decided it was good a place as any to start out.

He really liked it and found it genuinely creepy. The DVD has the special feature on the "making of Freaks" which he was then extremely interested in viewing. He found it all fascinating and asked me what else I had.

I then dug out the grandaddy himself, 1931's "Frankenstein" knowing that it was an image he knew from pop culture but also knowing he was oblivious to what the actual film was about. He was shocked at how sad the story of the monster was. He thought it was going to be about a monster that then chased down women like your typical slasher movie. He was very surprised to find out it was nothing of the sort. Again he was impressed and finally admitted that he had indeed judged the entire genre based on a few slasher movies he had seen and was interested to see some more of my favorite picks.

Next weekend I plan to show him Bride Of Frankenstein. I already know he's going to love it!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Evil Dead

Excellent work..always enjoy showing the old classics to some neophyte myself! Keep up the good work and let us know what else you show your friend.