Old 11-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
First time you see it?

Those are my two favorite werewolf films, by far.

::::::SPOILERS BELOW!::::::::::::::::
The opening... the cinéma vérité style... really blew my hair back. Then Dante backed off of that, and the rest of the film, I it was a fairly interesting tale, with some really heavy scenes, especially the scene where the maniac changes into a werewolf & takes the bullet out of his head. Lastly, I always kinda of wondered why, when the heroine reporter changes into a werewolf on air, why they made her a Lon Chaney Jr type of wolf, with a short snout, instead of the terrifying wolves they had already established?
For the cuteness.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 PM
A VERY OLD BROAD

No.

I have seen both films many, many times.

Great horror and werewolf movies.

HELL IN A DRESS!
Old 11-26-2015, 01:54 PM
Scares Little Kids

Blood and Lace (1971)

*** out of ****

Old 11-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Evil Dead

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

Having never seen any of the Star Wars movies (don't kill me, I just wasn't that interested) and another entry coming out in December, I decided to marathon all six of them to prepare myself for the latest chapter. Starting out with the original movie, I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. I definitely enjoyed it, but I'm just hoping this isn't the best installment in the series. A New Hope focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia, and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star. A farmhand named Luke Skywalker acquires droids that have the architectural plans for the Death Star. The Empire searches for the missing droids, and Luke agrees to help Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi to get the plans to the Rebel Alliance and save the galaxy from the Empire's tyrannical rule. The only reason I was slightly disappointed by the movie was because the first 45 minutes or so were just plain boring. The initially slow-moving plot and cornball dialog didn't really impress me much. What kept me watching was the amazing set pieces and cinematography; it really made up for the flaws the beginning of the movie had. The last half of the movie, however, is incredibly entertaining, fun and action-packed. The climax especially was breathtaking and impossible to forget. The imaginative world also makes me excited to watch the rest of the series. There were quite a few flaws with the original Star Wars that disappointed me a bit, but once it gets going, A New Hope is an undeniably fun ride that I wish to take again.

8/10
Old 11-27-2015, 02:18 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The Howling!

Great werewolf movie.

Only topped by the original one with Lon Chaney, Jr.
I hate to nit pick but how you mean by original? The Howling was the first howling title that I'm aware of, and there were other werewolf movies prior to Lon Chaney.

Quote:
::::::SPOILERS BELOW!::::::::::::::::
Lastly, I always kinda of wondered why, when the heroine reporter changes into a werewolf on air, why they made her a Lon Chaney Jr type of wolf, with a short snout, instead of the terrifying wolves they had already established?
I had always thought she wasn't done changing yet. Surely her friend wouldn't let her turn all the way when she'd be more powerful and harder to kill. Had to knock her off before she could get to far.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:43 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
For the cuteness.
LOL! Yes, that is exactly what I thought. If you thought that too, that's probably it. Dante!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
I hate to nit pick but how you mean by original? The Howling was the first howling title that I'm aware of, and there were other werewolf movies prior to Lon Chaney.
I think Martha just means the original one The Wolf Man, period. Maybe she's not aware of Werewolf of London, or is just keeping things simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
I had always thought she wasn't done changing yet. Surely her friend wouldn't let her turn all the way when she'd be more powerful and harder to kill. Had to knock her off before she could get to far.
Makes sense. But, I don't know, it's been a long time since I've seen it, but the scene crescendos (the music, the shot)... presenting her it all her horror, and I believe she was silent and not moving, indicating she was done.

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-27-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:56 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post

Having never seen any of the Star Wars movies (don't kill me, I just wasn't that interested) and another entry coming out in December, I decided to marathon all six of them to prepare myself for the latest chapter. Starting out with the original movie, I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. I definitely enjoyed it, but I'm just hoping this isn't the best installment in the series. A New Hope focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia, and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star. A farmhand named Luke Skywalker acquires droids that have the architectural plans for the Death Star. The Empire searches for the missing droids, and Luke agrees to help Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi to get the plans to the Rebel Alliance and save the galaxy from the Empire's tyrannical rule. The only reason I was slightly disappointed by the movie was because the first 45 minutes or so were just plain boring. The initially slow-moving plot and cornball dialog didn't really impress me much. What kept me watching was the amazing set pieces and cinematography; it really made up for the flaws the beginning of the movie had. The last half of the movie, however, is incredibly entertaining, fun and action-packed. The climax especially was breathtaking and impossible to forget. The imaginative world also makes me excited to watch the rest of the series. There were quite a few flaws with the original Star Wars that disappointed me a bit, but once it gets going, A New Hope is an undeniably fun ride that I wish to take again.

8/10
Glad you finally saw it!

Sorry you found the first 45mins boring. I think it's more of an era piece than some people realize. The dialogue and sensibilities are very late 60's early 70's (like Han calling Leia "sister".

The first 45mins wasn't boring or slow to me, though I was a kid when I first saw it. Still, if you don't mind me saying so, you kinda have to soak in the atmosphere and characters... the sets/costumes/music are designed to take you out of who and where you are, and transport you into this world. Got to let that happen. A New Hope is the best at doing that.

Empire Strikes Back is faster moving, as are all the rest, though Empire is considered the "other good film". You'll probably find Empire more engaging. But still, you have to let go of your conscious self... seriously. Don't miss the experience by being a critic during the film. You only get one chance to see it for the first time. Seriously.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Evil Dead

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Improving on almost every aspect of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back manages to be the rare sequel to undeniably top its predecessor in both quality and entertainment value while still not feeling rehashed. This was the Star Wars I wanted with the original, and it was extremely satisfying. In The Empire Strikes Back, the Galactic empire is on the hunt for Luke Skywalker and the rest of the Rebel Alliance. While Darth Vader is chasing Han Solo, Princess Leia and others across the galaxy, Luke studies the force under Jedi Master Yoda. Structurally, the film isn't as controlled as A New Hope, featuring long action scenes intertwined with dialog-heavy scenes of characterization, but that's an easily forgiven issue. The intense action scenes and darker plot make this a more involving film than its predecessor, and the young actors seemed a lot more confident in their roles. The Empire Strikes Back is an exciting film from start to finish, especially during the final thirty minutes when Luke faces off with Darth Vader. George Lucas really knows how to make a memorable climax. Although it does get a little cheesy right at the end, The Empire Strikes Back is a great improvement to its predecessor, and it set a high bar for movie sequels.

9/10
Old 11-27-2015, 09:56 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
I think Martha just means the original one The Wolf Man, period. Maybe she's not aware of Werewolf of London, or is just keeping things simple.
I thought that might be what she meant, but if she appreciates Wolf Man, she really should give Werewolf of London a watch. The make up for the Wolf Man was supposed to be used it it after all. If Henry Hull didn't hate the process and time it took to wear it, maybe this movie would've been the iconic classic that everyone remembers. But who knows...

Quote:
Makes sense. But, I don't know, it's been a long time since I've seen it, but the scene crescendos (the music, the shot)... presenting her it all her horror, and I believe she was silent and not moving, indicating she was done.
Could be. I saw it more as she was loosing herself to the monster, still fighting it's killer instincts or whatever. It's so brief you could really theorize it a lot of different ways.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 11-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post

Having never seen any of the Star Wars movies (don't kill me, I just wasn't that interested)
I often wonder what other classics (older known movies) you haven't seen yet.
Don't mean anything by it. I'm just a curious person.