Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 AM
x_karen_x

women in J horror are different?

i am an A level media student who is undertaking a critical research on women in horror movie. One of my sections is to compare the role of women in J horror and classic Hollywood horror.
Like ringu and one missed call I have watched both the victim and villain are female and the villain do have a sorrowful past as the reason for killing, what do you think of that?
Can anyone give me some help?
Thank you:)x.x.x.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 AM
No, fuck YOU

Tell me this, Karen.

Why do all the asian females fall down on their asses instead of running away when something scares the crap out of them?

Falling down on your ass has never helped anyone.

Or what do you think, miss show off? :cool:
Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Hellraiser

One possible theory is that a woman with a tragic background turning in to a supernatural being that can kick ass is probably a very scary idea, especially to japanese men. However, the mere idea is scary enough that they can just have it running around victimizing Japanese women. It would probably be a step too far in to Japanese sensibilities to actually have it come out and attack a lot of men.

However, this is based on only two J-horror movies I've seen so really I'm not a good source for the entire genre. : /
Old 11-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_karen_x View Post
i am an A level media student who is undertaking a critical research on women in horror movie. One of my sections is to compare the role of women in J horror and classic Hollywood horror.
Like ringu and one missed call I have watched both the victim and villain are female and the villain do have a sorrowful past as the reason for killing, what do you think of that?
Can anyone give me some help?
Thank you:)x.x.x.
Perhaps looking at the origins of the traditional "Yurei" Japanese ghosts will help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C5%ABrei

Interesting stuff.:)