Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Evil Dead

Nightmare

I saw this Korean horror flick (Nightmare) on Fear.net last night. Although I did have some trouble figuring out what was going on initially, it was a pretty good film in the tradition of Asian ghost stories. It had more blood than Ju-on, Dark Water, Ringu, etc. but otherwise reminded me of those films. Anybody else seen this?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by omcdave View Post
i love this film its much better the 2nd time...its made by the same guy who did phone and bunshinsaba and apartment all great films :)
Good to know. I liked Phone too, so now I feel much better about blind buying apartment like I had planned.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Hellraiser

I liked it. I felt bad for the poor kitty though...(I'm an animal lover, can't stand to see em hurt, even in movies.) Also, what is with Asian horro movies and long-haired female ghosts (Sadako, Kayako, Kyung-ah)? (Looks to omcdave for assisetnce)
Old 12-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by asami_kayako View Post
I liked it. I felt bad for the poor kitty though...(I'm an animal lover, can't stand to see em hurt, even in movies.) Also, what is with Asian horro movies and long-haired female ghosts (Sadako, Kayako, Kyung-ah)? (Looks to omcdave for assisetnce)
A cat was hurt in Nightmare. Crap, I don't even remember that. That usually bothers me too, so now I'm puzzled that I can't seem to remember it. Damn aging!
Old 12-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
Quote:
It's based on japanese folklore. Most japanese horror movies are based on ghosts, and spirits remaining in places/objects when they die in great trauma, like being murdered etc.

Sadako, and all long haired ghostly girls in J-Horror are based on an ancient Japanese story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yotsuya_kaidan

:)

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
... what is with Asian horro movies and long-haired female ghosts (Sadako, Kayako, Kyung-ah)? (Looks to omcdave for assisetnce)
Curiously, in the writer-director's follow-up to NIGHTMARE - called PHONE - there's a scene where a child psychologist interprets a drawing a little girl has made of herself with long hair. The kid's shrink interprets the long hair as representing sexual maturity.

In the book THE RING COMPANION, the author writes about the long tradition in Japan of regarding women as not just second-class citizens but as barely human. Within that kind of cultural framework, it is almost inevitable that the group being repressed will return in popular art as some kind of monster.