Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-03-2021, 11:44 PM
Evil Dead

Candyman (1992): I wanted to return to this one in order to be ready for the sequel. An indirect effect that Jordan Peele has on you.

If anything the film has grown over the years. Storytellingwise, that is, because little things like the cameras and the idea that (nearly) everybody smokes make this film look dated.

Throughout the story, the film is also not afraid to inject social commentary. From Anne-Marie's line about "white folks only bringing trouble" (quite the bit of foreshadowing there) to the police response to Helen being beat up.

It was good seeing Xander Berkeley again, but I was a bit ashamed for not recognizing Vanessa Williams. That feeling where you think "this face looks a bit familiar, but you're not quite sure why". The good thing is that she made you focus on her character rather than her. This contrary to a time where they cast people, because famous.

And then of course, there is Tony Todd. It takes him a while to show up, but then he dominates the screen with his presence and his voice. Much more than with William Bludworth, it really gives you the chills. On par with James Earl Jones' performance as Darth Vader, it instills just as much fear.

If anything, it makes me more curious how the story will be set forward in the sequel. Different accents , people coming back (or not),...
Old 09-04-2021, 06:09 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
North
Old 09-05-2021, 03:44 AM
病気の

Candyman, 2021. 7/10

Director: Nia DaCosta

We Need To Do Something, 2021. 7/10

Director: Sean King O'Grady

Pulk, 2020. 7/10

Director: Julian Filigno

Superhost, 2021. 6/10

Director: Brandon Christensen

Thumb resize.

Don't Breathe 2, 2021. 6/10

Old 09-05-2021, 07:14 AM
I am the turtle lord

Lol candy man. Haven t seen that in 4 years
Old 09-05-2021, 06:13 PM
病気の

The Protege, 2021. 8/10

Director: Martin Campbell

Rushed, 2021. 7/10

Director:Vibeke Muasya

Thumb resize.

Honeydew, 2021. 7/10

Director: Devereux Milburn

Thumb resize.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:29 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Candyman (1992): I wanted to return to this one in order to be ready for the sequel. An indirect effect that Jordan Peele has on you.

If anything the film has grown over the years. Storytellingwise, that is, because little things like the cameras and the idea that (nearly) everybody smokes make this film look dated.

Throughout the story, the film is also not afraid to inject social commentary. From Anne-Marie's line about "white folks only bringing trouble" (quite the bit of foreshadowing there) to the police response to Helen being beat up.

It was good seeing Xander Berkeley again, but I was a bit ashamed for not recognizing Vanessa Williams. That feeling where you think "this face looks a bit familiar, but you're not quite sure why". The good thing is that she made you focus on her character rather than her. This contrary to a time where they cast people, because famous.

And then of course, there is Tony Todd. It takes him a while to show up, but then he dominates the screen with his presence and his voice. Much more than with William Bludworth, it really gives you the chills. On par with James Earl Jones' performance as Darth Vader, it instills just as much fear.

If anything, it makes me more curious how the story will be set forward in the sequel. Different accents , people coming back (or not),...
Funny how most people knew smoking was bad way before 1992. I always thought cigarettes were adult candy in the old movie days. But it would still be years before that and that inside movie about cigarette companies before laws against smoking would start. Also preventing ads towards children.

Anyways, I'm going to watch the original before the new one as well.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:51 PM
Evil Dead

THE INVITATION (2015). This tale of a Dinner invitation/Reunion starts out pretty well; nothing really happens, but suspense begins to build. Sadly, towards the end, it's almost an Homage to BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS when things begin to get nasty. Add up to what I thought was a ridiculous ending, although my Wife figured it made sense. **1/2
Old 09-06-2021, 04:03 AM
Scares Little Kids

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Grudge 2020 or the original. Got to go with the original first.

I didn't see Grudge 2020 and won't waste my time unless someone I trust recommends it. I watched the trailer and it just looks like a series of "something is behind you" or "something jumps at you" scenes. Some horror is style, but the trailer looked like hack visuals and hack story. I really don't know who bothers to watch this when there are some many better things to do.

I did see Ju-On (2002), and speaking of "It was very worrying and horrifying to notice the emptiness of the movie", I kind of felt that way about Ju-on. It's fairly crafty, but found it hard to relate or care about the characters and was a bit bored and found the story a bit shallow. But a lot of folks here liked Ju-On. That was your better shot at a decent flick.

You gonna try Ju-on?
We live in postmodern times. Going with the original movie first, is not a rule I like to consistently follow. I watched the Evil Dead remake first, and the original later; and this experience worked very well for me.
Anyways, it's interesting to hear your views. Yes, I am curious towards Ju-on!
Old 09-06-2021, 09:16 AM
No, fuck YOU

The first Ju-on (2000) is the best.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:41 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Funny how most people knew smoking was bad way before 1992. I always thought cigarettes were adult candy in the old movie days. But it would still be years before that and that inside movie about cigarette companies before laws against smoking would start. Also preventing ads towards children.

Anyways, I'm going to watch the original before the new one as well.
Always a good idea to watch the original first. You know... when circumstances are the same. Like, I wouldn't turn down an invitation to watch a remake with folks. Goes without typing.

You know I haven't seen Candyman yet either. It's on my list. I'll have to watch it sooner than later. It's pretty unique.

Funny about smoking...

When I was in grammar school we were taught about oral cancer and lung cancer with all the disgusting pictures. That had an impact on me not to smoke.

But probably bigger impact was my folks didn't smoke. My grandpa pretty much chained smoked. That ashtray odor didn't smell good, but the house also always smelled like sautéed onions.

Also, as a young adult on, I bummed cigarettes all the time from my friends who smoked, especially when drinking. They wanted me to smoke with them. I never really got anything out of it besides the physical routine which satisfied my fidgeting habit. I never had the desire to go out and buy a pack. I guess I'm somehow immune to nicotine addiction, or whatever desired effect it's supposed to have. I don't know how rare that is.

Last edited by Sculpt; 09-06-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Tags
movie