Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Dead as a Dodo

The Curse of Frankenstein.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepaway View Post
The Curse of Frankenstein.
What did you think of this movie? The reason I ask is that, personally, it was one of my favorite Hammer films and I would even put it on my top twenty horror movie of all time. I believe that it has held up the best of any Hammer films. I really loved it. So, I was just wondering what you thought of it.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Dead as a Dodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
What did you think of this movie? The reason I ask is that, personally, it was one of my favorite Hammer films and I would even put it on my top twenty horror movie of all time. I believe that it has held up the best of any Hammer films. I really loved it. So, I was just wondering what you thought of it.
To be honest I'm not a fan of Hammer movies but I wanted to make an effort to watch more! It's a good movie, just a little plodding for my tastes! Beautifully acted though and I always love the look of 50's colour films. I probably wont watch the sequels! I can fully appreciate why it did well and why it has a large fan base though. It was odd seeing Melvyn Hayes so young!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomstranger View Post
"Psycho" (1960)
-Anthony Perkins
Me too (last week).

I actually liked the TV Show, but I doubt it should be considered canon.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Evil Dead

On the night of the "super" full moon, I decided to rewatch this classic:
"The Wolf Man" (1941)
-Lon Chaney jr.

Plot:
Upon the death of brother, Larry Talbot returns from America to his ancestral home in England. He promptly meets a beautiful girl, takes her out and on their first date is attacked by a werewolf (quite a mood killer, I'll bet)
Larry ends up turning into a werewolf himself and terrorizes the village.

Phantoms Review: One of the all time great Universal classics. Beautifully filmed, spooky atmosphere, terrific performances from the whole cast and of course, the great make up from Jack Pierce.
This one is awesome.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Little Boo

-The cabinet of dr. Caligari (1920)
-The brain that wouldn't die (1962)
-Faust (not sure, but it's a silent movie so probably 20's)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Evil Dead

"The Beast Of Hollow Mountain" (1956)
-Guy Madison

Plot :IMDB
An American cowboy living in Mexico discovers his cattle is being eaten by a giant prehistoric dinosaur.

Phantom's Review: I love monster movies, (pretty obvious I know)but I'm also a huge, huge fan of westerns, and whenever these genres meet, I'm interested. Most of the time you get crap ("Billy The Kid vs Dracula" anyone)sometimes you get a small gem ("Curse Of The Undead" 1959) and sometimes you get a film like "Hollow Mountain". A film so outrageously goofy, you just can't help enjoying it.
Put western star Guy Madison, a cattle stampede. a beautiful heroine, a hissable villain, and obnoxious little boy, his drunken father and a hungry dinosaur all together and you've got this looney, fun little time waster.
Based on an idea by Willis O'Brian (but he didn't do the FX, too bad) . The acting is OK. The FX barely passable (your going to love the dinosaurs tongue) and some decent western action. This would make a great double feature with "Valley Of Gwangi". :)
Old 07-06-2013, 01:53 AM
HDC's old chick

Horror Hotel
House on Haunted Hill
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Evil Dead

"Incident At Phantom Ridge" (1966)
-Robert Fuller, Dan Duryea, Jocelyn Lane

Plot: IMDB
Captain Martin (Fuller) accepting a covert mission to locate a gold shipment that was snatched from a Union party by a rebel Confederate gang led by Joe Barlow (Duryea). During the attack, Martin's brother was killed and this drives Martin forward on his mission. With Barlow offered a pardon to lead them to the gold, Martin, a small group of men, and a "Madame" (Lane) who has been sanctimoniously ushered out of Hays City, set off to the Staked Plains looking for the hidden gold. But this is area ceded to the Comanche and outlaws stalk the land looking for ill gotten gains. Enough problems there as it is, but with water running low and the group coming apart due to differences and Barlow's scheming, it will be a small miracle if anyone makes it out alive.

Phantom's Review: Solid, well made Western adventure. Not quite an "A" picture, but more than a standard "B" flick, lets call it a "B+" movie.
Plenty of action, a great villain, lots of reliable character actors (Claude Atkins, Noah Berry jr) a gorgeous leading lady, a decent if unoriginal plot and some fine acting from the whole cast. Very entertaining movie for western fans
Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Evil Dead

"The Ghost Ship" (1943)
-Richard Dix

Plot: IMDB

Tom Merriam signs on the ship Altair as third officer under Captain Stone. At first things look good, Stone sees Merriam as a younger version of himself and Merriam sees Stone as the first adult to ever treat him as a friend. But after a couple strange deaths of crew members, Merriam begins to think Stone is a psychopathic madman obsessed with authority. He tries to tell others, but no one believes him, and it only makes Stone angry..

Phantom's Review: Slow moving, but well acted psychological thriller. Filled to the brim with foreboding and just dripping with atmosphere (produced by Val Lewton, I expect no less). The plot is a bit predictable, but that dosen't take away from the over all joy of watching the film.
A good old fashioned melodramatic film. I enjoyed it.