Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Handler of the New Flesh

Cool Any really scary books?

I'm heading off to the library pretty soon and was wondering: What are some books that will make me shit bricks?
"I stood there. Stood there and stared in amazement and cold horror at the pulsing, quivering organs clinging to the oozing pink flesh." -- Goosebumps #61: I Live In Your Basement
Old 09-30-2014, 03:48 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimzon Naga View Post
I'm heading off to the library pretty soon and was wondering: What are some books that will make me shit bricks?
Goosebumps books.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:19 AM
Evil Dead

The only book that made me legitimately "scared", I suppose, is It by Stephen King.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Little Boo

The Ring novel, Koji Suzuki. Also Spiral!
Old 10-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Extreme in Everything

I suppose that would depend on your definition of "scary".
Old 10-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Handler of the New Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120DaysofSodom View Post
I suppose that would depend on your definition of "scary".
As in books that will keep me from sleeping at night and traumatizing scary.
"I stood there. Stood there and stared in amazement and cold horror at the pulsing, quivering organs clinging to the oozing pink flesh." -- Goosebumps #61: I Live In Your Basement
Old 10-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Extreme in Everything

Quote:
As in books that will keep me from sleeping at night and traumatizing scary.
If you're of an appropriate age and you authentically enjoy good reads, then I recommend "The 120 Days of Sodom" by the Marquis de Sade. Les 120 Journees de Sodome was his magnum opus. He authored it while imprisoned in the Bastille in Paris just prior to its destruction. It is the story of four wealthy libertines that kidnap boys and girls from all over the countryside and imprison them at a secluded castle during the winter months. In the intervening time, the elite subject the boys and girls to countless sex acts and ruthless humiliation, including coprophilia. They conclude the season by murdering them all in a series of particularly heinous (though inventive) ways. "The 120 Days of Sodom" was written on toilet paper, and thought to have been destroyed in the burning of the Bastille. Sade never completed his masterpiece before his transfer from the Bastille and thus had to finish it in a series of notes. He claimed to have "wept tears of blood' over its supposed loss, and described his work as "the most impure tale ever told". Many critics of the great Marquis' work thought Sade a madman, but his work is truly an allegorical masterpiece. It was from his name that the term "sadism" was coined.

Several other books of his I'd recommend include "Justine: The Misfortunes of Virtue", "Philosophy in the Bedroom", and
Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Extreme in Everything

and "Oxtiern".

I warn you though...

...If Goosebumps is your cup of tea, you will probably not be able to stomach and/or keep up with the writings of the Marquis de Sade.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Handler of the New Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120DaysofSodom View Post
and "Oxtiern".

I warn you though...

...If Goosebumps is your cup of tea, you will probably not be able to stomach and/or keep up with the writings of the Marquis de Sade.
I'm 18, man. Goosebumps is just something I grew up with.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Extreme in Everything

Quote:
I'm 18, man. Goosebumps is just something I grew up with.
K