Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-18-2005, 09:32 PM
BH14

Blockbuster scam??

Saw it on the news. Blockbuster is getting sued for falty ads... So if you all rented some horror movies and not worrying about "Late fees", you should because if its late i think past 7 days, they automatically charge your credit card and then charge you a stocking fee... thats what i think i heard.

Dont be fooled by the "End of Late Fees" commercials.

ht tp://www.chasingthefrog.com/catalog/my_movies.php?username=sirbflo114
Old 02-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Thepuppetmaster
I have already known this for awile. I hate Blockbusters. First they charge to damn much to rent stuff and second there stores have a little selection of movies.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Misanthrope

^^ Yeh that's to true. The brought out some really good video stores over here and turned them into shit. The horror section is fucking pathetic.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:11 PM
BH14

its becoming too expensive for their crappy selection.. i stopped using them a long time ago... thank goodness for netflix

ht tp://www.chasingthefrog.com/catalog/my_movies.php?username=sirbflo114
Old 02-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Now she has us.

I stopped using Bollockbusters, way back before the days of DVDs.

<CENTER>
http://www.horror.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2020_5.gif</CENTER>

Old 02-19-2005, 05:47 AM
Fear scented candle

What they pulled is shitty, but the lawsuits are without merit. the first day we saw the commercial, my wife looked it up on bb's website, and the fine print clearly stated that you would be charged for the movie if it went past 7 days.

Thats why thhey have fine print in the first place.

And thheir "Netflix" style service? The rates go up Jan 1 2006. do your homework before spending your cash.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:11 AM
King of the Long Post

Send a message via AIM to Stingy Jack
My wife manages a Blockbuster video store, and not only do they not TELL you that you will be charged a re-stocking fee, but they give you plenty of warnings before they charge your credit card for the movie.

What's with you freaks, anyway? Now you can rent a film and keep it for at least a week without paying any extra fees, and you're bitching because, basically, what ... you want to be able to rent the film and keep it indefinitely without paying for it? That's not going to happen. Do any of you have a clue as to how businesses work? Besides, the cost of the movie is charged to your credit card, yes. But, if you return the movie, the charge is refunded to your account (except for the restocking fee ... but what the hell? If you keep it a week past the due date, Blockbuster basically sells you the film, but in order to manage the accounts involved with printing reports for people who have a movie out for more than a week, the restocking fee helps to cover the cost.) The whole reason this was created to get rid of late fees. Blockbuster realized that people hated the late fees - especially for those who are one or two days late. But now everyone is just out looking to get stuff for free and trying to abuse the system.

As for selection, the Blockbuster here in my town has a very decent horror selection ... but the one in the next town over does not. The corporate home office stocks their stores with films that appeal to the majority of the clientele in that area. In my town, we have a lot of lower-class, poverty-class people ... and these types of people happen to like horror films and crappy comedies. So, our store has plenty of these. The next town over is a college town, so they don't have as many good horror films, but they do have more independent artsy films. You have to cater to the majority, peeps. Plus, a lot of the older titles go on moratorium (are no longer made or sold), and when these get broken by a careless customer, Blockbuster can longer rent that title out because they can't get another copy.

Anyway, sorry for the rant ... but, for Christ's sake. What the hell do you want?
GOOD LORD DELIVER TO US!
Old Scotch Invocation
-- adapted by Stingy Jack

Stingy's Horror DVD Collection
Old 02-19-2005, 06:16 AM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
Quote:
Originally posted by Stingy Jack
My wife manages a Blockbuster video store, and not only do they not TELL you that you will be charged a re-stocking fee, but they give you plenty of warnings before they charge your credit card for the movie.

What's with you freaks, anyway? Now you can rent a film and keep it for at least a week without paying any extra fees, and you're bitching because, basically, what ... you want to be able to rent the film and keep it indefinitely without paying for it? That's not going to happen. Do any of you have a clue as to how businesses work? Besides, the cost of the movie is charged to your credit card, yes. But, if you return the movie, the charge is refunded to your account (except for the restocking fee ... but what the hell? If you keep it a week past the due date, Blockbuster basically sells you the film, but in order to manage the accounts involved with printing reports for people who have a movie out for more than a week, the restocking fee helps to cover the cost.) The whole reason this was created to get rid of late fees. Blockbuster realized that people hated the late fees - especially for those who are one or two days late. But now everyone is just out looking to get stuff for free and trying to abuse the system.

As for selection, the Blockbuster here in my town has a very decent horror selection ... but the one in the next town over does not. The corporate home office stocks their stores with films that appeal to the majority of the clientele in that area. In my town, we have a lot of lower-class, poverty-class people ... and these types of people happen to like horror films and crappy comedies. So, our store has plenty of these. The next town over is a college town, so they don't have as many good horror films, but they do have more independent artsy films. You have to cater to the majority, peeps. Plus, a lot of the older titles go on moratorium (are no longer made or sold), and when these get broken by a careless customer, Blockbuster can longer rent that title out because they can't get another copy.

Anyway, sorry for the rant ... but, for Christ's sake. What the hell do you want?
the two blockbuster's i live near have a good horror selection
Old 02-19-2005, 06:44 AM
PRIVATE EYE

Send a message via AIM to nine9
The one here has no Horror section, they got rid of it awhile ago. Now the Horrors are all in other categories and all over the place. You have to look through the whole store practically to see what they have. They also got rid of there Classic movie section.

There are only three categories now: Comedy, Action, and Drama.

There are also less and less older movies available to rent, and the foreign movie section is very minimal. I haven't seen any foreign horrors at all except the newer ones that have been recently remade. So............I have been going to a little buy and sell video place by where I live. I can buy a movie that I'd never see at BB for alot cheaper than renting. Got 2 for 2 bucks each a couple of weeks ago.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:02 AM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
Netflix>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blockbuster

three extra >'s now that there's the possibility of them carrying import DVDs

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE